This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4  |
Author Topic:   Does character count when you choose your clan members?
Irascible
posted July 26, 2002 02:57 AM            
I was on the servers tonight and was treated to the ramblings of a foul mouthed jerk. He used the name of a non-active BWL member. Though I doubt it was him. When I asked if he was BWL he responded he was DOG. That, of course, proves nothing about his real identity.

But it reminds me of a question that I've asked myself a few times. Do the other clans care about the quality of the person behind the screen name? BWL puts the acceptance of a new member to a vote. At least for the time that I've been with them (and I assume it's always been true), the behavior of the person counts for a lot. Obviously some of our members will have had to of played against the nominee numerous times to be able to make that judgement.

On the other hand, I'm sure others take the view that gripped a controlling minority of this country for the eight years that Billy Boy was president: Character doesn't count and it's the economy stupid. I suppose the parallel would be: Character doesn't count and it's the clan war win stupid.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. Flames aren't needed unless... *cough*... Captain Jester Guido Crunch shows up.

BTW, If I don't say it now then I just know some wise guy will:
"So if what you say about your clan is true Ras, how the heck did you get in?!?"
You guys kill me sometimes.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 26, 2002 03:50 AM            
So if what you say about your clan is true Ras, how the heck did you get in?

Well....When scouting we usually invite them mostly on playing skill but some character evaluation is involved.They then go to a trial board where they are watched.Then they are invited in totally when they have proved they are mature enough or at least haven't gave any heads up that they are trouble.Sometimes they skip the trial step if we know they well enough.I can honestly say I don't think DNX has recruited one bad apple.The guys we get are usually people that myself or other DNX players have seen enough on the servers that we can trust them to behave.

So did you guys vote for this clown to join?If it was really him?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 26, 2002 03:53 AM            
And if a clan were to get someone that vulgar or whatever I think they should kick that person out.I think clans are based on unity and friendship and each player represents the clan whether its a clan war or just playing on a server for fun.DNX hasn't really had to deal with anyone liek that but we have kicked people out because they were inactive which is pretty bad too.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 26, 2002 04:31 AM            
Certainly, character counts. No one wants to be playing a game that is supposed to be fun and ends up playing with a total jerk-off who spoils the enjoyment of the game. Now what could the penalties be? This person can't be "forced" to give up the clan designation, as this person didn't care about using it (improperly, I am assuming) in the first place. Anyway to set up servers to not allow certain players to join?

IP:

coaxs
posted July 26, 2002 04:46 AM            
"Character doesn't count and it's the clan war win stupid"

Since I house the clan war stats, I can assure you that foul mouthed individuals will not have their frags recorded for their clan.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

posted July 26, 2002 10:16 AM            
hey...Susan says I am a character...I guess it does count...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 26, 2002 10:27 AM            
Hey Coax! that gives me an idea! I can actually have TMLogScan capture chat messages and post them to my website. Then I can scan the text for offending words and post the offending individuals name on a 'black list' after say, 3 offenses.

What do you think? Of course the problem is that anyone can use any name, so its easy to mess with someone. :/

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited July 26, 2002).]

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted July 26, 2002 10:49 AM            
Are you gonna give yourself one penalty point Killer : ). At present anyone can join our clan whenever they choose to, if they get out of order they will be thrown out, cannot see a problem. If DOG see fit to change this thats ok to.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 26, 2002 10:54 AM            
hahaha.

Not a problem with me, I'm too busy running away trying to keep my butt from getting fragged to type a chat message in-game.

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 11:24 AM           
cool DOG getting craped on again !
you can black list them and all they got to do is get a new name.
you cant stop it , so y waste your time
making a list.
they did what they set out to do , they pissed you all off.
SO GET OVER IT!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted July 26, 2002 11:41 AM            
Yeap. I'm aware that all they need to do is change thier name. I just get excited when I can add more features to my website.

POed? Me? nah. I ignore those people. But whenever I see a problem, my mind goes right into solve mode. Can't help it really. Which is why I'm still at my place of employment even though I'm at the bottom of the seniority list.

Life's too short to waste time on boneheads. Especially when they hide behind anonnimity.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 26, 2002 11:47 AM            
If the shoe fits.......

On a slightly more possitive note, I decided to post the text from the headder of our trail member board, just so you can see that DNX has things under control with methods in place.

------------------------------------

Welcome to DNX Gaming Clan. This is your first step into the World of DNX. It does get better i promise you.... but here you will be judged on your online activty, your activeness, willingness to join in clan events, your attitude to other players and your skills. This forum is open for anyone to view and the main members will be popping in from time to time to check on your progress. when you reach the levels required your game VP will allow you into the larger more permanent forum. Your trial membership lasts 6 months after which time you will be judged by your recruiter. Good Luck.

------------------------------------

So there ya have it - wasnt dnx !

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited July 26, 2002).]

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 11:53 AM           
all i do when i see boneheads like that is sit back and lmao
and see if i can piss them off more
lol
:-)

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted July 26, 2002 11:57 AM            
We have no judge in the dog clan, i hope when i say we are all equal,s i speak for the clan as a whole. Newby,s have the same right,s as the older member,s, it,s the taking part that count,s. If they have not the ability of some member,s, well who care,s. The more they play the better they get.

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 12:09 PM           
right on BOZO
LMAO

IP:

ARAGON
posted July 26, 2002 01:52 PM            
I disagree, Bonzo. A clan member being a bonehead is one thing. A clan member being someone who doesn't represent the DOG clan (or any clan) with SOME level of class and SOME respect of other players doesn't deserve to be in that clan. I am confident KJ 1st would agree with me, as we have discussed this recently.

As far as a certain someones (aka Guido) re-emergence, this is being addressed.

As a personal note, I try to give people a second chance. Since we can't (?) confirm that it was indeed him, I don't want to assume it was him.

Frankly, I am getting very tired of this BS. While I enjoy a good argument or a bitch session, I despise jag-off's that push their ideology in a forum or during a game to people that simply aren't interested. Thats what other forums, specific to those points-of-views, are for.

However, I know these mind games are part of an online gaming forum, and eventually some sick bastard gets onto said forum and game and starts trouble.

Shields up....

[This message has been edited by ARAGON (edited July 26, 2002).]

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 02:19 PM           
y dose Guido's name come up ?
how about Dog Corpes?
he was called FOWL MOUTH for a long time if i remimber right!
was it you ?
was it me ?
was it him?
or was it her?
who cares !
let it go , there is NOT a thing you can do about it .
lmmfao!!!!!!!
its over, so drop it !
time to move on.
:-)
LOL

-----------------------------------------

old dogs never die we just smell that way

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 26, 2002 02:45 PM            
Maybe the DOG clan needs to setup something to screen new recruits like the other clans do?They have had trouble with a few of their players that I know of.Then maybe the DOG clan would start getting the respect it deserves from other clans.Most of the DOG's I find are really good guys and fit the definition of a clan.But there are a few with bad attitudes.And go ahead and prove my case

IP:

King John 1st
posted July 26, 2002 03:24 PM            
Sorted, I hope.

But what's emerged is that we do indeed need some sort of joining rules or at least some conditions on staying in the clan, so.... lets throw open some ideas either here or on the dog public forum ( is it working ok now? ) as to what changes to make.
One thing I'd like to keep is the openess of a new member, weather they're good or not so good, to get right in and play their part in any clan wars or DDM's and feel a part of it, So maybe a conditional period?
BUT complete respect of other players in the clan and other clans is essential or they just don't deserve to be in any clan ( as we all agree by being a part of the DMF surely? ).
Doesn't mean you can't enjoy whooping the @$$ of the enemy in grudge games ( Clanwars ) with absolute pleasure. ( yes, even if I get only 7 frags or not ).

Ideas?

http://home.freeuk.net/kingjohn1st/index.html

Edit:- Added Clan page link.

[This message has been edited by King John 1st (edited July 26, 2002).]

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 03:42 PM           
having a beer and sitting back
and
LMMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 03:43 PM           
cheers

------------------

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 03:56 PM           
lol
i just got a e-mail saying some of you think i'm Guido
lol
i am not !!!!!!!
lol
thats FUNNY
LOL

------------------

IP:

Paranor
posted July 26, 2002 04:42 PM            
My only contribution is if you swear alot, you will be banned from my servers, including the DDM. Kids play (including mine) and I'm not going to put up with it. Now, nothing wrong with some jovial swearing when you know there are no kids on becasue RAS & Super make me do it all of the time.

Otherwise, the core problem is
1) someone is an idiot
2) can't do much about it because you can login with any name you want.
3) cap-n-jack IS GUIDO. DON'T BELIEVE HIM!
4) just kidding on #3. hehe

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 26, 2002 04:48 PM           
LOL
you funny
i've been called alot of things in my life time but never a GUIDO
lol

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 26, 2002 07:34 PM            
Perhaps we should form a clan council of sorts, elect a spokesperson form each clan or whatever to agree a common ruleset.

Ultimately monthly chatroom meetings could help iron all this kind of thing out without it spilling onto forums.

IP:

This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4