|
Author Topic:   Quick GROPOS update...
A2597
posted July 22, 2002 05:52 PM            
Yep, still working. Current projects include maps, modeling, and sound editing. Not to mention, improving some effects...BIGTIME.

Namely, the "Tank on fire" effect, looks MUCH better now.

and the tank explosion effect, also looks MUCH better. compleat with debries that fly off on fire, and burn out, fireballs, and damage. (Dont get TOOO close to your opponent when you tank him out. if you are at full health you should be OK, but if you are already on fire....bye bye. i've seen more AIs get killed because they fragged up close...LOL).

Other things adding: New and improved skyboxes, and gound textures (Tell me, why are people still using 128x128 textures for the ground? 512x512 looks SOOOOO much better! with next to no difference in frame rates!) same for sky boxes, 1024x1024 x 32bit looks NIIIIiiiiiICE.

other things, modeling tanks, and attempting to texture them...also working on tank weapons etc. (Very few tanks will have the same weapon, if any). new engion sounds, fire effects, explosion effects, etc. Might I add that by simply improving the explosions and textures, the game looks Soooo much better?
I'll be adding some screenies to this thread of race mars and race Narn soon, as well as the puurrrdy new explosions and fire effects (Possibly an animated GIF as well).

Whats left:
Ballpark figure of 20+ tanks need to be modeled and textured etc
2 more DM maps need to be made
12 more Race maps
3 CTF
and 5 FTF (New gameplay mode) maps

lots of sound editing etc.
and lastly...weapons...getting some ideas, but its kinda hard. fight are already different with every tank having its own weapon and attack styles (Slower, more powerful, fast and weak, missiles, lasers, etc).

Pickups are kinda just a novelty item to give weaker tanks an edge, and larger tank access to fights faster... (Not to mention that firstones tech occationally can be found...giving serious advantages, but only for a short time.)

Speaking of which, where is that command that tells how long a dropped weapon will stay on the battlefeild? I don't want weapons sticking around, for balencing issues, and realism. (Like that nuke isn't going to expode once its been though an explosion? and that rocket launcher STILL works? wow... LOL )

OK,going to pull screenies off other PC and upload them. later!

(BTW, I know the GROPOS site is down, Firstones domain expired...)

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

A2597
posted July 22, 2002 06:43 PM            
OK, the screenies: http://www.b5-blender.com/gropos/newboom.jpg http://www.b5-blender.com/gropos/newfire.jpg

(Trust me when I say that new explosion looks MUCH better animated in game)

annnnd....the AVI, You will need DivX to play. http://www.b5-blender.com/gropos/newfire2.avi

both pics are from Race Narn
the AVI is from Race Mars.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 22, 2002 09:04 PM            
Send me your requirements/pics A', ill setup up a site for it on DMF, host the pics and provide a simple url.

Glad to be of service. you design the page gfx as you like it, ill do the rest, free hosting from your commonal garden friendly DMF

IP:

Paranor
posted July 22, 2002 09:35 PM            
shagadelic!

IP:

A2597
posted July 22, 2002 11:37 PM            
well, firstones should be back soon, and with then I get unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth, etc.

(Plus I spent about a month asking them for the space...LOL)

WOOT!

Another tank ready for texturing! the first Drakh tanks (Technically NOT a firstone, but thats the catogory I'm putting her in)

BTW, the HARDEST part about that new explosion? Getting it to stay put! some weapons I have use a bunch of kick, and it was really weird watching this fireball go floating across the map...stayed up until 2am last night before I got it to stay put, at the exact location the tank went BOOM in.

------------------

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited July 22, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 23, 2002 12:12 AM            
ZOG....

IP:

Vlad
posted July 23, 2002 08:46 AM            
quote:
Speaking of which, where is that command that tells how long a dropped weapon will stay on the battlefeild? I don't want weapons sticking around, for balencing issues, and realism. (Like that nuke isn't going to expode once its been though an explosion? and that rocket launcher STILL works? wow... LOL )

Unfortunately, at the moment that sort of thing falls under the dreaded "it can't be done" category. Now, while there may be some undocumented command that will assign a timetolive to a Weapon class ent, nobody's figured it out yet. Unfortunately, it looks like you may not be able to even cheat your way around that, because tanks HAVE to drop their weapons when they die.

So that's yet another hurdle for you to jump over

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 23, 2002 12:05 PM            
what about a skinchange on the weapon then like the tank, on a timelimit, but goes to full transparent, that way you wouldnt see it.

IP:

A2597
posted July 24, 2002 07:05 PM            
WOOT!

I figured out how to make tanks generate their own ammo!

Perfect for those beam cannon tanks.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted July 25, 2002 12:38 PM            
I'm STARVING! When will Firstones be back!? !?

And does it have an IP until then?

IP:

A2597
posted July 25, 2002 10:34 PM            
Yep, IP# is http://64.23.79.149/

bear in mind that the only links that work on the side are the forums, for the rest, you gotta enter it manually, replacing "www.firstones.com" with "64.23.79.149"

Easy enough.

And as mod.firstones.com was a subdomain, its impossible to acces....

------------------

IP:

A2597
posted July 25, 2002 10:37 PM            
OH! Forgot to mention...

Drakh tank is textured.

Looks coooooool.

I ran a test today to try and get an idea of the size of the mod. 45 megs currently (Including MANY unused textures and sounds).

that is an ACE file, and is the format I plan to release as for the simple fact that it is 1/3rd the size of an uncompressed file, or much smaller then a ZIP.

------------------

IP:

A2597
posted July 26, 2002 01:16 PM            
Another weapon done....

EMPP (Electro Magnetic Pulse Paralizer)

As the name implies, it paralizes electric pulses, dispercing the enery outward. The effect is that it will paralize a tank, and/or keep it from functioning properly. energy weapons fired into it are disperced. (Beam cannons being an exception, the damagingforce of the beam is disperced, but the light energy will pass though. projectile weapons will deatonate on impact.

All in all, looks cool, works well.

Weapons in the works:

Gravity well: pulls tanks into a gravity well, then detonates an explosive. (Working on it)

Climate Control:
Creates a heavy storm cloud whitch blinds tanks, compleat with lightning strikes.

effects a small area, but deadly to those in it.

Weapons that are done:

Thunderbolt Strike:
Summons a squad of Thunderbolts to attack enemy tanks.

Shadow Bio-mechanical Plauqe: (With help from Vlad)
A shadow ships flys overhead, droppeing a condenced forme of the plauqe used on earth, engeneered for tanks.

PPG (By Vlad).
The tank version of the populer hand weapons, the Pulsed Plasma Gun

Vorlon Planet Killer:
A vorlon ship over head fires a Super powerful beam, capable of destroying the world. (Literally)

thankfully, they decide to simply make a large crater....

Mass Driver:
(The kind used by the Centauri to Bomb Narn)
Ships overhead gather in space dust, and other debries, compact them into giant rocks, and hurel them at blazing speeds into the planet. Banned by intersteller law, they are one of the most terrifing weapons created by the younger races.

First Ones Tech:
Ocassionally in your journys, you will find first ones technology, that can be modified for your use. beit a cloaking device, weapons, armor, or whatnot, it will give you a serious edge.

Other Races Tech:
Occationally, you will also find tech used by other races. Powerful beam cannons for example.

A2597-out.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted July 30, 2002 02:25 PM            
Bump...

A2597-out will be a new weapon: It does nothing but says "We'll release a demo soon"

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited July 30, 2002).]

IP:

A2597
posted July 30, 2002 10:29 PM            
Firstones.com is back!

meaning the gropos site is as well.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos
posted July 31, 2002 07:29 AM            
Wheeeee!!!!!

IP: