|
Author Topic:   Need help with a web host
MexIndian
posted July 10, 2002 01:47 PM            
So I'm thinking of hooking up www.mexindian.com. I have only the slightest of clues as to what to do. Who to contact? Anyone to stay away from?

------------------
If I were you and you were me and I fragged you whose score would go up?

IP:

Paranor
posted July 10, 2002 02:09 PM            
I run my own web server since I have broadband. But after just icqing you, it seems you have dial-up. So maybe someone else with broadband would be interested.

apache (www.apache.org)
Yabb (www.yabbforum.com)

I also have www.dyndns.org translate www.karllois.com to my dyanmic IP address of my pc. www.karllois.com re-routes HTML requestes to karllois.dyndns.org which then uses their DNS tables for my IP addy.

Coffeecup makes a pretty good/cheap HTML editor. WHat does everyone else use? I know Kevlar was a die-hard NOTEPAD user.

------------------
-How's it going bugalugs? I know bugger all and I'm buggered. So bugger off.
BWL-Paranor, BWL-Tiger, DNX-Tiggs and D.O.G.-Aragon.
Family. Redefined.
DDM Pics, schedule and other here!

IP:

coaxs
posted July 10, 2002 02:13 PM            
First you need to register it. I know yahoo does this and register.com . Talk to Matrix, he'll give you some god help on how not to get screwed.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 10, 2002 03:39 PM            
Its gonna cost you money for sure.I think Tucows handles most of the domain registering these days.If you want something simple and where they walk through it step by step for you,including hosting it and registering the domain,go to http://www.hypermart.net .
You can get the domain for 20 something.And thats good for one year.Then their basic hosting package will cost you around 7-8/month.Or you can find a free hosting service to host it and also help you register your domain.Don't know of any that would help you do that off the top of my head.Registering the domain will cost you money whatever path you take.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 10, 2002 03:47 PM            
And if you are talking about making the actual site to upload.I use Frontpage which is good for newbies because they have built in templates where they already have the page contructed and all you have to do it go through and change the words and whatever else.And its also has enough features for advanced users.Paranor mentioned CoffeeCup.That another good one.Its a WYSIWYG interface which helps you you make the page as you are visually looking at it.I also use Netscape Composer which comes with Netscape Comminicator.Its also a what you see is what you get interface and its very easy to make a page with it.And good ones at that.
If you need to ask questions email me.I make Webpages as a part-time hobby and business.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted July 10, 2002 04:59 PM            
MS Publisher is also VERY easy to use. Just drop and drag. I like Dreamweaver. Its drop and drap plus your can edit the HTML on the spot.

IP:

Paranor
posted July 10, 2002 05:18 PM            
dreamweaver? how did you get that tiggs? HUH? HUH?

hehe

IP:

Paranor
posted July 10, 2002 09:59 PM            
eh? MS Publisher? noooooooooooo.....

I quit using FrontPage for two reasons:

1) it's a typical MS product so it's easy to use but annoying to use
2) can't stand those freaking FrontPage server extensions if you want to use any of the advanced stuff.

So I dumped it and blah blah blah - you know the story.

Up next - porting to Linux and become the ULTRA UMBRELLA HAT NERD. BUHAHAHAHA MUHAHAHAHAH

------------------
-How's it going bugalugs? I know bugger all and I'm buggered. So bugger off.
BWL-Paranor, BWL-Tiger, DNX-Tiggs and D.O.G.-Aragon.
Family. Redefined.
DDM Pics, schedule and other here!

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted July 11, 2002 12:07 AM            
I just heard about a webserver called godaddy that was very highly recommended by someone I met at work. A bunch of fairly new domain names got released recently; xxxxx.us so there are quite a few available. The hosting fees, so I heard, are relatively cheap. I have this info from a person who is setting up a server for our workplace. good luck.

IP:

harmless
posted July 11, 2002 02:41 AM            
hello,

now that is a loaded question...

as far as a registrar is concerned, i would
stay away from verisign. the reasons are too
numerous. this is a good one:
alice's registry: http://www.ar.com/

for web hosts, you get what you pay for.
this is also not to be entered into lightly.
a good site for info is: http://www.10-best-web-site-and-domain-hosting-services.com/

man.... is everyone a microsoft serf??!?!?
stay away from frontpage, it uses proprietary
extensions and any webhost you choose has to
set those up special for you, some even charge
extra for that.

feature price is pretty cool and low cost. http://www.featureprice.com/

blue domino is also pretty good and if you
domain name and give you some pretty cool
software, you get the whole "coffee cup" series
including their html editor and shockwave animator. http://www.bluedomino.com/

there are a ton of places out there and they
all want you to use them for webhosting.
there is no substitute for research here.

when i was researching this for myself, most
places offered 2 platforms, microsoft or linux computers to host on.
and in every instance, linux was the cheaper.

well, i hope this was useful somehow.
good luck,
harmless

IP:

MexIndian
posted July 11, 2002 02:02 PM            
yo buyacos.

Thanks for all the help, quite helpful.

So I register for the site: That runs me about 20 bucks or so. Do I have to pay a per year sum to hold my registration in addition to the webhosting?

And then the webhosting costs me an additional amount per year, eh?

With regard to all those nonsense programs... come on guys. You've gotta do it by hand!! I use a program called proton that is notepad but it has Syntax Highlighting. But other than that, I do all the code by hand... all those programs make it where it's impossible to go into the code by hand and fix stuff...

Now about shockwave... is it easy to do? Is it free?

Thanks for all the help guys.

------------------

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted July 11, 2002 02:57 PM            
Ahh...you already know how to write tags.In that case Windoze Notepad works just fine

The $20 would soley go to reserving and registering the domain you want,www.mexindian.com.And you only have to pay that annualy.They usually come with a 2 year package for like 35$ if you wanted to have it for two years.That does not cover the actual hosting of you site.That just buys the name,which you can transfer to any number of web hosts.Then the webhost you pick will take that domain you bought and add it to you account.If you go through Hypermart(which is what I always go through to register a domain for someone and to host it later on) you'll just go through step by step.They'll ask you if you want ot register a domain in the signing up for them to host process.Its as simple as putting what name you want and then paying for it.Hypermart dosen't handle the registering of a domain but they help you do it.You are actually going to have to make 2 diffent accounts.One for the monthly hosting and one for you domain control panel which runs through Tucows.But you don't have to worry about the domain control panel unless you wanted to give someone else admin access to your domain name or transfer it to another web host.You can email me if you still have questions.

Dreamweaver.Never used it but I know what it can do.Its another Macromedia product.Looks like they have a trial so test it out. http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/
Also email me about software and I'll show you a little trick which I can;t post on this board It says $400!Again,email me

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited July 11, 2002).]

IP:

MexIndian
posted July 13, 2002 01:22 AM            
hehehehe...... What trick, punk?
hehehe

Thanks, but I'm not so sure I'm interested in that... you might hear from me though

------------------

IP: