This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   GeForce Card
=DNX= Dalmatian
posted June 18, 2002 11:46 PM            
Right now I'm using a GeForce3 Ti200 and I was wondering if I would notice a major graphical difference if I purchased and installed a GeForce4 Ti 4600. I recently changed my motherboard and put in a AMD Athlon XP 2100+ processor with three 512mb DDR memory modules and I kinda wanted the GF4 Ti 4600 to top everything off.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 19, 2002 12:46 AM            
From what i hear bro, a geforce 4 is just a souped up geforce 2 card...... u got a good one, id wait for the nforce boards next year. right now everyones buying the card u have cos of the massive price drop caused by the release of the v4 boards.

IP:

Irascible
posted June 19, 2002 01:44 AM            
Like Matrix said, a GF4 isn't going to do much unless you like all the eye candy turned up at high resolutions. BUT!!! Since when is a rational reason required to purchase such an item??? Just use the same lunacy that compelled you to put in a gig and a half of ram and you're there.

BTW, my GF3 Ti200 overclocks to 250 core and 500 memory with no problems (that's just a smidge above what a Ti500 is clocked at). That does help my frame rate. YMMV.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 19, 2002 05:31 AM            
Heh, 1 gig processor, 1 gig ram GeForce 2 Ti card....

Remember, in TM the polys (tris) are determined by the program, your framerate will get better but thats all - it wont display more terrain, just the same ammount at better quality or higher res's....

Ps Ras, my amount of ram is handy so i dont hit the swapfile hard in photoshop - so Nyeah ! :p

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted June 19, 2002 05:53 AM            
That's 2100+Mhz and 1.50 gig of ram. =P Actually, the processor is 1700Mhz but it's geared to be 2100 and that's why it's called 2100+. =P I probably have the most powerful computer of all the TM players. =P Dalmatian the powerful!

IP:

kv
posted June 19, 2002 07:23 AM            
you might see some improvement, but probably not in TM.

the GF4 Ti cards are real good.

It's the MX series that you should avoid, those are the ones that are just slightly improved GF2 cards.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 19, 2002 03:55 PM            
Just get a GF 3 like I have.Should be around 150-$200 by now and it is a powerhouse and more than any one gamer needs.I have a P3 750 and can run any game out now maxed out in the graphics settings with out so much as a hiccup.Get about 70-80FPS in TM and thats will everything stock and nothing tweaked.

IP:

MexIndian
posted June 19, 2002 06:37 PM            
You can get a GF4 Ti 4200 for just around 150. I have recently bought ("for office use" ....... mbuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) a GF4TI 4400, and it works great. TM is just more detailed, that's all.
But look at the specs.
GF4 >> GF2.
GF4 >> Everything else presently on the market, as a matter of fact. But it is $$. 1.5 gigs of RAM? One question......

Why?

------------------
If I were you and you were me and I fragged you whose score would go up?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 19, 2002 07:48 PM            
There is no such thing as too much RAM

So the new Geforce 4's are slower than the Geforce 3's?Saying that a Geforce 4 is a beefed up GF2?I haven't been keeping up with the 4's but my 3 was the best consumer card out there a year or less ago and I had to pay 450 when it came out.Sounds like to me that GF4's are a weak version or something if you can get it that cheap new since they have only been out a few months.I think the TI's are value cards.

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted June 19, 2002 10:43 PM            
Okay. I don't know who started that rumor but I'm going to clear it up right now. The GeForce 4s are not modified GeForce2 cards. -.- Whoever started that one needs some disciplinary action. GeForce4 cards are GeForce4 cards. The really cheap ones are the MX series. The GeForce3 Ti series can easily outperform the GeForce4 MX series. And the very best of the best, the big daddy of all the GeForce cards would be the GeForce4 Ti 4600 nothing on the market outperforms that. I've seen one made by PNY who recently started to produce graphic cards and it's worth about four hundred and fifty bucks. Then the lower Ti cards are less expensive but well over three hundred. The MX series GeForce4 cards are the light weights. They are weak. That's the truth and none of you can rival that. =P

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted June 19, 2002 10:46 PM            
Please don't insult Nvidia by making those lousy excuses of rumors. =P That is just debilitating.

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted June 19, 2002 10:47 PM            
Somebody please delete that. -.-;;;;;

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 19, 2002 11:14 PM            
Per request consider it gone Dal...

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TMMaps

IP:

Efflixi
posted July 16, 2002 06:24 PM            
Actually i think i'd qualify for fastest machine here. Not to gloat (yea right) but im on a P4 @ 2.82GHz with a TI4600. To those who think a Gf4 is nothing but a faster GF2 uhhh your WRONG. www.hardocp.com go read up (specifically the article on the Asus GeForce 4 TI4600 thats at the top of the page), your behind the times. www.hardforums.com i go by "Efflixi" there as well. Feel free to ask questions there. Be sure to read alot of the threads, there is a TON of info at that place.

[This message has been edited by Efflixi (edited July 16, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted July 16, 2002 09:24 PM            
I've heard the same thing Dalmation - the cheaper G4 are worth squat.

BTW - what OS are you running with so much RAM?

IP:

A2597
posted July 17, 2002 11:35 PM            
you want better graphics?

Wait for the B5 mod, I am basically retexturing everything, its looking MUCH better!

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

Paranor
posted July 18, 2002 08:50 AM            
a2597 - help an idiot. what is "retexturing"? It sounds time consuming.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted July 18, 2002 09:27 AM            
Sounds like he's redoing all of the skins for the models...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 18, 2002 10:12 AM            
Retexturing, ie, better res textures on everything - more tow on lower end gfx cards and possibly more video lag, but ive done similar and yes, there is a marked improvement. The B5 mod should perform admirably with the new style texturing, im really looking forward to it.

IP:

A2597
posted July 18, 2002 05:41 PM            
well, if my Intel Graphics card (Only 4 megs of memory) can handel it, then I think most people can.

of course, it looks SOOOOOO much better at 32 bit full size textures. currently I'm not going to mess with any stock tanks, just the ground textures and sky textures. (Lemme tell ya, new skyboxes and high res ground maps ROCK. )

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

MexIndian
posted July 19, 2002 06:55 PM            
Pentium 4 1.82 GHz?

:\ Hmmmm....... And here I thought that 1.53 was their latest (released like 3 weeks ago).

But yeah, GeForce 4 Ti series is muuuuuuch better than GF 3Ti.

Bring that B5 along A2597!

------------------
If I were you and you were me and I fragged you whose score would go up?

IP:

Efflixi
posted July 19, 2002 07:18 PM            
You mean 2.82GHz and 2.53GHz

Yes, Intel's fastest cpu is 2.53. I bought a 2.26GHz P4 and overclocked it.

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted August 03, 2002 09:29 PM            
My AMD machine would break it's foot off in your P4 machine's a--. =P

IP:

A2597
posted August 03, 2002 11:09 PM            
Well, I'm getting the B5-Mod done as quickly as possible, but it isn't a top priority...

but its more of a TC then a Mod at this point... LOL. Hardly anything will be stock, a few sprites/sounds, but thats about it.

------------------

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted August 09, 2002 05:13 PM            
What I saw is this as far as the evolution of the chipsets:

GF2 series > GF4MX series
GF3 series > GF4Ti series

This could explain some of the confusion earlier in the thread.

Anyone tried or seen any of the new cards by Matrox or SIS, the Parhelia or Xabre?
I am glad the performance graphics card market is filling out again, not just Nv #1 and ATI #2.
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2