This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Keeping our Forums *clean*, Get in here you guys
GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 14, 2002 08:52 PM            
Ok, im getting fed up with how you guys are acting at times. Little kids read these forums, and ya know what!, They look up to you guys, "I wanna be like Super when I grow up daddy!" "I wanna be like Coaxs when I grow up daddy" "I don't wanna be anything like Ant when I grow up!!"

YO, you should be ashamed of yourself at times, the things you post!!! Its bad enough with some of the language that goes on around here, but when you can click a thread and see some half-naked guy mooning you, thats OVER THE TOP! From now on guys, KEEP THE BOARDS CLEAN, YOU AREN'T THE ONLY ONES USING IT, A good deal of the people who read this board "ARE" kids, though quite a few don't respond I think.

Any Questions? (pulls out grind's axe)

oh and btw, I know the first thing that some of you are going to say is, well they shouldn't be reading these forums, well to those of you who feel that way, Neither Should You Then. This game isn't just for adults, in fact I wonder why more kids don't play it.

IP:

KONG
posted June 14, 2002 09:05 PM            
"From the mouths of babes"

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 14, 2002 09:08 PM            
indeed

IP:

Devious
posted June 14, 2002 09:10 PM            
Uggggh, (Devious craws from the dark cave ehs been in for a year or two), may i see some examples of what so horrific? And i so think that objectionable stuff shold be regulated...but if its simple curse words or somthign to that extent...big friggin whoop.

BTW, Sup guys LTNS

------------------
this is not suposed to make any kind of sense at all, if it makes sense to you seek help)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 14, 2002 09:13 PM            
The image in the ta da.. thread. Thats a no-no.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 14, 2002 09:18 PM            
It isn't just the images that people put up here, it "IS" the cursing....etc I personally come from a home where there is *no* cursing. And personally I find it shocking consciously and subconsciously at times. Now, im just me, not alot about that, but *little kids* read the forums!! For Petes sake KEEP IT CLEAN! and if not for Pete, Than for his Bro Peter

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted June 14, 2002 09:33 PM            
wtf?

IP:

Irascible
posted June 14, 2002 10:09 PM            
OK, what kind of shiat are you smoking TarnishedAnt? I haven't seen any examples recently of what you're talking about. And I'm often one of the most vocal people on this board when it comes to real vulgarity. As an example I took on Guido and his filth long before it became, for lack of a better word, popular. And if there's a real problem somewhere now then I'll get your back in a heartbeat. But at the moment there is such a lack of anything that you describe that I'm tempted to think you're kidding. If you are, then put in one of those infernal smiley faces next time!!!

See? Like that. Though I'm not kidding. Hehe.
Oh, and whatever Matrix may have had up (didn't see it) was an anomaly which he quickly corrected. There is no pattern of malfeasance (and all the hillbillies said "say what?") that requires a call to arms... so to speak.

(credit for pic has been corrected for Par's protection )

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited June 16, 2002).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 14, 2002 10:35 PM            
I trust the individuals here that their posts are "clean". Pics that were deemed to risqué were promptly edited. Profanity on the bboard seems to be a minimal amount, I personally will not try to regulate it since many of my earlier post on the bboard contained them and it would be hypocritical if I did.

IP:

KONG
posted June 14, 2002 10:43 PM            
the offensive pic was removed already

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 14, 2002 10:53 PM            
Bout to say...I haven't seen anything like that.
BTW...my DSL keeps going down sometimes because they are working on a few things so if you need to get in touch with me email me

david23@apex.net

I'll be moderator up to Sunday.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 15, 2002 12:49 AM            
The pic has been removed, Iras, where ya been? here i'll make a smiley just 4 ya lol _O-) I call him the Scuba Smiley, he can swim through lag and water Now, someone had posted an inappropriate pic in one of the threads. Anyways it has been removed now. Though, really guys, cut down on the swearing for petey (and peter) Remember, kids *do* read these forums......

------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

IP:

Rex R
posted June 15, 2002 02:07 AM            
OT; dvs hi glad to see you're back. have you had a chance to look at all the 'new' mods yet?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 15, 2002 11:28 AM            
Ok heres what i find strange, for my 2p input.... b4 i leave it alone....

Why is it I try to develop and innovate new ideas to get peeps involved and interactive, try and produce feedback etc that the threads are lucky to get 3 replys in as many days.

However take one complaint against any player, even in the smallest way, and theres a nice full therad of hammerings within 10 minutes on ethics, right n wrong, morallity and the "need" to do it.

Theres far to much sensetivity and negativity if u ask me, ppl ready and willing to jump on others backs as soon as grab a bud from the fridge. I do agree with the points as brought up but the response time is staggering. This means that:

a) ppl like responding to negative issues.
b) they ignore posts that involve effort.
c) they lay in wait with a baseball bat ready to pounce.

To say all these ppl have RL issues, and cant afford the time to write a 5 line "dear doctor" for example, they sure find the time to write a 3 paragraph breakdown on any nagative aspect of the board.

this to me is not a good situation, ppl are putting effort into negative energies which will result in no eventual good.

A bit of advice : "find some humour in your life" some of us are just trying to make you smile and bring the forum back to a state of fun. But even jokings out of the question these days without ppl getting offended - theres always some minor thing that gets in the way.

Ras i hate your name, its offensive to me plz change it LOL - GA, i dont like the colour of your text it offends my eyes, please change it - RC, im offended that you use netscape to view webpages knowing its sat in the dark ages, please change it...

Ok Ok i jest but you see my point, im getting as i darent post diddly squat in here these days without some1 jumping on my back and shoving a knife in my neck.

A simple , "i dont like that plz change it" would have been far better than "REMOVE THAT, OH AND HERES A THREAD ALL ABOUT IT AND ITS MORAL IMPACT"

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted June 15, 2002 11:58 AM            
I swear, Kids swear the whole world swear,s. I never heard so much swearing as i did last night on the telly, never hurt anyone anyhow, and the kids around hear swear more than me. There may even be some realy good people that swear like fuke.

IP:

Irascible
posted June 15, 2002 02:18 PM            
"a) ppl like responding to negative issues.
b) they ignore posts that involve effort.
c) they lay in wait with a baseball bat ready to pounce.
"

Duh.

It sounds like you're complaining about human nature itself. Talk about putting effort into something that will result in no eventual good... you may as well try to rewrite the genetic code!!!

-Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but this is how my puny brain works:
I enjoy fragging. I enjoy good debate. When it comes to TM, that's about it. The game play gets me on the game servers. The "lively discussions" (and occasionally the ego gratification ) gets me on the BB. All the websites, modding, tournaments, are a fun distraction but ultimately have low priority for me. So I don't respond to such things. It's simply a difference of priority.

-If I were to attempt a guess at the motivations of others:

--People responding to negativity is a natural thing. That should be no shock to you - hence the focus on negative headlines by the various news agencies. The effort aspect of it isn't so much relevant. As you said yourself they'll put in 3 paragraphs if they've got the motivation. "Laying in wait for a baseball bat" is obviously an exaggeration. Your sensitivity to such things is obviously heightened by your recent experiences - which I certainly don't blame you for.

--Why they don't do more of the things you'd like them to is probably, as it is with me, just a difference in priorities. It's almost like you're saying "Why can't you be more like me?!?!" . I would speculate that over time you've seen less interest in those things because the beta people and other early adopters have faded away. Those would be the ones that would naturally be more interested in modding, website stuff, etc. I mean come on, there's a natural life cycle to every game. TM as it currently exists will have a hard time "holding on". If Quake, Half-Life and others had stopped with their initial release, they'd no doubt have their own Matrix lamenting the lack of involvement.

As far as humor and bringing back the fun goes, knock yourself out. Though I, for the life of me, just don't understand British humor. So all you'll bring me is confusion.

Is that a knife in the neck as when Commodus died in the movie Gladiator? I loved those gurgling noises (envisions Matrix making noises too... muwahahahaa... ).

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 15, 2002 04:18 PM            
I think most of us might swear but you have to respect the person that dosen't want to hear it or dosen't need too.

Matrix-Prob because its hard enough to get people to play the game much less do these competetion things.Maybe you'll finally get the input you want when PS2 version comes out.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 15, 2002 08:23 PM            
Matrix? *looks up with tears in his eyes* You don't like my name's color??? *starts bawling*

K, now it might seem funny for me to be saying this but, nobody else post in this thread, lets just let it get burried if you know what I mean since situation is solved 4 now

IP:

Irascible
posted June 15, 2002 09:29 PM            
You don't want me to post in this thread?

:P

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 15, 2002 09:41 PM            
This topic is ALMOST covered in "Dear Doctor" on the DMF, if anyone gives a fig enough to go read it DUH !

IP:

Irascible
posted June 15, 2002 09:52 PM            
Don't like figs.
Too much fiber.
Too much fiber is...

...bad.

Real bad.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 15, 2002 11:11 PM            
pfft, LOL, well you can keep the thread at the topp if you two want

IP:

Niimaur
posted June 16, 2002 02:08 PM         
There is a rather subtle reason for minimising explicit foul language on bulleting boards like this one; it tends to attract those unsavoury characters who plug 'rude words' into search engines. This has happened on severals other BBs that I frequent. Whenever there is an instance of someone saying Freddy Uncle Charlie Kate, within a week or two, we are visited by a nitwit who will post a couple of entries, just to try and get a rise, and then they will go away again. It is, nonetheless, annoying and avoidable by either not using the 'bad words' or by making sure, by judicious use of special characters, that they are not picked up by the search engines.

{Matrix}
The reason threads liek this attract a lot of response is because they affect everyone. The "posts that require effort" (I did read yours but decided that I was not sufficiently familiar with TM to get involved just yet.) will appeal to a much more restricted audience.

------------------
Niimaur aka Nim - Dwarf

IP:

Paranor
posted June 16, 2002 03:54 PM            
Hey Ras, I wasn't here to post a picture - get it right you knucklehead. Yipee - I got to yell at Ras, I got to yell at Ras, I got to yell...

BTW - I would like to see the picture that you guys are talking about - send it to me plz.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 16, 2002 04:54 PM            
You don't want it paranor besides, not like anybody saved it on their comp (at least I hope they didn't)

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2