|
Author Topic:   Ladies and gentlemen........
KiLlEr
posted June 01, 2002 04:50 PM            
Anounceing, the long awaited

TOP SERVER JUNKIES LIST

Availible now from:

http://boomstickjoes.vze.com/index.php?link=TMServers&page=serverjunkie s.php&menu=1&submenu=0&appmenu=2

It only displays the top 15 for now. I leave it up to the community for more rankings! Submit them to my email listed in the forum.

Rankings are based on cumulative time on TM servers participating in the server status list, here is the list of the current rankings:

code:

Minimum Time Rank
600 Man! You need help!
450 Master Junkie
350 Padawan Junkie
250 Junkmiester
180 Serverholic
140 Addict of the first degree
120 Addict of the second degree
100 Addict of the third degree
80 Addict junior grade
60 Addict
0 Noobe

I welcome any additions.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited June 01, 2002).]

IP:

Irascible
posted June 01, 2002 05:55 PM            
I'm a noobe.
LDA must not be on the list.

IP:

coaxs
posted June 01, 2002 08:43 PM            
Does it do it per day, or per week or what?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 01, 2002 10:58 PM            
Its computed real time whenever you access that page. However time accumulation per server is done whenever a TM sever submits an updated to the webserver.

Especially now, since everyone is using the HTTP form, I completely removed my schedualer based loader and put all the pertenant source into the upload page itself. So When a TM server submits an update, all tables are updated instantly.
No more sync problems.

IP:

coaxs
posted June 01, 2002 11:10 PM            
My question is though, do player accumulate an infinite amount of hours or does the ranking have a time limit like one week, and then a new ladder is made?

IP:

Teulk
posted June 01, 2002 11:25 PM            
Holy Crap!!! You'd think with all the time I spent there, I'd have a better frag ratio!!! Oh well, guess I'll just spend MORE time...go for the ultimate title (whatever THAT might be!!!)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 01, 2002 11:26 PM            
The online time can be reset on a per server bases (at the server ops descretion). But I can clear it globally anytime. Its a matter of running a single SQL statment.

But currently there is no reset, so the time accumulates indefinitly.

The time is in minutes.

IP:

coaxs
posted June 02, 2002 03:35 PM            
Woohoo, I'm ranked 11 as an addict.

If this isn't the best excuse I ever heard of to go and play on the servers I don't know what is.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 03, 2002 10:52 PM            
I'm going to grim reaper the list at the end of the week. I'm wiping out anyone who's played less than 10 mins (non-cumulative) or has the name "player". gotta build up of 2 minuters.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited June 03, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 04, 2002 12:05 AM            
nice work killer. now can we have a tutorial on how you linked it all together

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 04, 2002 03:50 AM            
I'm not totally sure how to do this.How does it count my time..I'm not on there anywhere and I average about 2 hours a day.Do you have to go through the Killer server thingy?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 04, 2002 09:03 AM            
You need to be on a server that sends me a feed (i.e. any of the servers listed on the TM Servers Status page that have a GREEN background). I send LDA the files needed to send me a feed for the LDA server, but they didn't run it yet (it has a red background).

Tutorial? Sure.

There is a batch file that is run on the TM server that calls a C program that I wrote. The C program scans the log for keywords ("Player xxx connecting", for example). And builds a partial SQL file from it. It knows when a game restarts (Server entered cool down period), when a player logs off (plyer xxx disconected) and if they change thier name (player xxx changed thier name to yyy). All this goes into this "partial" SQL file. It's "partial" because you can't run it directly (security reasons). THen the C program calls a Visual Basic program which uses HTTP Post to post the partial file to my website (it was easier to talk to IE through VB than C, ).

The web page analyzes the upload and writes out the lists of user's to the server's table. It also marks the server as being "up". Part of the page also sets all servers that have not posted an update for more than 10 mins as "down". How does it know? I keep the timestamp of the last update on the database record.

So, I know when the TM server last posted an update, and I know the current time, so by subtracting the 2 I get the amount of time sine the last update was made.

Since I have a list of player list, and the time since the last update, I can assume (somewhat saftly) that those players have been on at most since the last update from the server. I then just add this time to thier accumulated time.

This has a bit of inaccuracy since I'm assuming they're on for the whole length of time. But it dosn't matter, since there is inaccuracies to begin with:

1) TM writes to the log file in chunks, after filling up a buffer in memory. This means that when I scan the log file, it is not up to date. This varies on the server activity. The busier the server, the more often these writes occure. This works both ways, I will not see a player log off or log on, until TM writes that information to the log file.

2) I base the time on update frequency. The less freequent the update, the larger the margin of error. Currently, servers post updates every 2 mins. They can post more frequent updates, however, this will cause extra load on the TM server, internet connections, and my webserver. A 2 minute interval worked out to be a good compromise.

So to be fair, I give the player the benifit of the doubt, and since all players are affected equally, its fair. So its a fun way of seeing who's been online the most (and sometimes embarrassing, if you don't play too well), don't use it as a punch clock. Like the page says, it can be up to +/-5 minutes off.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted June 04, 2002 09:34 AM            
Who is heck is =ZE=Mr Twitch?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 04, 2002 09:47 AM            
My In-law from PA

He and the rest of the family in PA build custom homes. It's currently the in seasion, so he too pooped to play. But He's comming to visit up in July (Got tickets to see Rush), so I'll be sure to have him get on one of the servers with me and shoot up a few of y'all.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 04, 2002 10:35 AM            
Awesome job Killer - Innovation we like innovation dont we guys.....

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 04, 2002 02:45 PM            
That explains it then because I'm always on lda

IP:

Teulk
posted June 04, 2002 05:28 PM            
Man...Rush in America..with fans no less!!! Excellent..enjoy the show..CAUSE THEY ROCK!!

IP: