|
Author Topic:   TM + Linux
Dreamer
posted May 31, 2002 10:57 AM         
This topic hasn't been touched for some time now...
Well, I've tried to start TM under Linux in that Windows emulator called "wine". Guess what: It works. Pretty well, too. Had to adjust a setting in the configuration file in order to make TM grab and keep keyboard focus from my system, but then everything worked well.

Networking: Good. TM times out exactly one time on the master server, then checks the web page (we know that from windows, eh? dreaded. does anyone understnad why it does that?), finds it, and there we are: challenge reply. Finding servers works. Logging in works. Synching ents works. Fragging people works. (Note: AI-BWL on Paranor's Demo server behaves like it's set up to be exceptionally stupid.)

Graphics: Perfect. fps are a little lower than under windows, but that's what I expected, anyway.I can play at 20-25 fps with my GeForce2 GTS/T-Bird 800 system (@1024x768, terrain tris 7000, view distance 750, trilinear on, textures at 512) and that's perfectly acceptable for me.

Almost forgot lag: My ping says 260 on Para's demo server and that is really low for me (connecting from europe). Very nice.

TM won't work in windowed mode (at all), however, and I have not tested voodoo support. On the other hand, even resolution changes from within the game are handled well, so it's pretty hard to make TM crash.

One more thing: If you want to try this at home, make sure to use a really recent version of wine (i tested with version 2002/03/10, latest version is 2002/09/05, afaik), and do make sure OpenGL works on your system - in hardware mode! -, or you are going to be disappointed.

Linux - scared of consoles, cryptic commands, bad documentation? Don't be. Download a recent distribution (e.g. RedHat 7.3 or Mandrake 8.2) and try to install it if you've got some unpartitioned space left on your harddisk. rtfm or you are going to break something if you don't know what you're doing, however.

RedHat or Mandrake offer a tool that allows you to install their linux distributions in the unoccupied space on a windows formatted harddisk partition, too, so that might be an option for the less adventurous among you.

PS: Setting up a TM server under wine/linux should work just as well...

PPS: Phew.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 31, 2002 12:06 PM            
Thats great news for Linux players karl do u mind if i put this on DMF ?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted May 31, 2002 12:28 PM            
Where can I get Wine? (I mean is it freeware {website?} or do I have to buy it?)

I don't have any HD space on my comp unpartitioned...but I have Linux on another comp so I can try it out there. But I also plan to get a 120GB HD and give 50% of it to Linux at some point this summer...

And Dreamer, I don't have the master-server-timeout-->webpage-->master-server-connect that you do - it always connects the first time for me under Windows.

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited May 31, 2002).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 31, 2002 01:01 PM         
rixy->np

RC->
wine is free...

Wine's home: http://www.winehq.com (NOT http://www.wine.org !)
http://www.rpmfind.net might have some precompiled packages, too.

concerning the master server issue - with tm/windows you only get timeouts when the master server is down - tm/wine does that all the time, but it does connect after checking the web site. weird.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited May 31, 2002).]

IP:

Karldar
posted May 31, 2002 02:12 PM            
Ah, but does Dudy know...?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 31, 2002 02:46 PM            
Cool..I was just asking myself that question last week when I worked on a guys computer who had Linux in the background.I was curious if I could get TM to run if I installed it in the background.Thanks to Dreamer for answering it.

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted May 31, 2002 03:12 PM            
I have tried this before and been unsuccessful. I am glad I am not the only one working on it.
Dreamer, do you have a Windows folder somewhere that WINE is getting dll's from, etc? Or is it just the WINE package?
I installed Mandrake 8.2 on both my server and my workstation 2 weeks ago, both dual booting, with NT Server 4.0 and 95OSR2, respectively.
I am going to try this out this weekend.
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 31, 2002 04:16 PM            
This is great news. Being a fan of better operating systems than MickeySoft I appreciate this kind of information since I do not have time to check it out myself at the moment, but I will definitely look into it when the opportunity comes about - great job Dreamer.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TMMaps

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 31, 2002 08:03 PM            
I always wanted BeOS to really take off... real potential that one.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted June 02, 2002 02:23 PM            
Coolness Dreamer!

Always wanted to find out if it would work or not. Could you post some pictures? I promise to put plastic over my keyboard...

IP:

Mysterial
posted June 03, 2002 05:24 PM            
Hey Sailor, if you try TM in Linux, try the TM Mod Picker in Linux too and see if it works under wine better than it does on your WinXP

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 04, 2002 10:41 PM            
Good thought Mysterial. If I have a chance to set it up I will do that.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TMMaps

IP:

Paranor
posted June 05, 2002 12:04 AM            
groovy! I'll try it on my box at work.

Matrix - you messed me up for a second. My name is Karl also.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 05, 2002 10:44 AM            
Now if only I can get my dad to stop screwing arround with the HD on the other system...

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 06, 2002 02:41 AM         
OK, so there's one issue - keyboard focus. Don't try to change from windowed to fullscreen (which is probably not fullscreen either, depending on your settings) and back. Pretty good way to disbale your keyboard.

TM needs an in-game mouse-enabled main menu access button.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 03, 2002 06:13 PM            
i've had that happen to me in another game before.... Dreamer, What TM needs is a Timer, so that if you don't respond for like 10 seconds a little box in the corner appears until keyboard is touched again hehe

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 17, 2002 11:51 AM         
Someone wanted a screenshot - here it is, judge for yourself.

(Full resolution version)

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited July 17, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted July 17, 2002 01:17 PM            
going to work on it right now (finally got RH7.3 up and running. CUrrently using Citrix to get my PC apps).

IP: