|
Author Topic:   Am starting to sound like a newbie!
-DNX-Ni
posted May 20, 2002 07:32 PM            
I'm just wondering about a few things in the graphics settings in Treadmarks options.

Could someone explain to me please what:

1. Changing the 'bit' depth will to to multiplayer gameplay?

2. What is Trilinear?

3. what is the Terrain Tris and also how will it affect online gaming?

I've been told that meddling with these might be able to help decrease lag.

Cheers an Ni out!

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

IP:

Vlad
posted May 20, 2002 08:38 PM            
Those are all graphical settings, and won't have any affect on online lag, just framerate.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 20, 2002 09:08 PM            
Ah ok..rumours asside, what are they anyhoo?

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

IP:

Irascible
posted May 20, 2002 09:48 PM            
1) It will do nothing to the game exactly. It may slow your frame rate. 32 bit gives you a more colorful picture and depends on your video card. A weak video card will give you a smoother picture at 16 bit. That's entirely limited to what's going on in your machine and affects no one else.
2) Trilinear vs Bilinear are methods of smoothing out jagged diagonal, curved and other lines that aren't straight so they don't have that tiny zig zag effect as bad. Trilinear is better but may tax an under powered cpu and slow frame rate.
3) I think terrain tris has to do with how much detail the computer draws into the terrain. The more detail the more power that's required of the cpu. Lowering that setting will give you faster frame rates.

None of those settings have a thing to do with lag. It all happens inside your computer and no where else. Though I may not have every small detail correct. If high ping is the only problem you have then don't bother with those settings. If you have the appearance of lag that is in reality just a choppy screen due to low frame rate, then adjusting those setting may help. But I assume you know how to look at the thing in the corner of your screen and can therefore tell the difference.

IP:

coaxs
posted May 20, 2002 10:38 PM            
Is "Cheers" the short form of "Cherrio". And where does "mate" come from?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 21, 2002 12:07 AM            
Hmm...ok thanks Ras. Easily interpreted too

Ok well I have footered with it and I guess it could help the games performance on my system. Am just trying to find as many ways of reducing the lag as possible, but I think I'm treading (pardon the pun) into denial territory and most likely gonna have to fish out some hard-earned student loan cash for a couple of upgrades. Plus..maybe...some broadband.

AHH coax dear boy, we'll have to find u a site for common British patter, old horse!

Cheers - thanks

mate - chum, pal, friend, compadre, buddy, fan, fellow, colleague, member of the Quaker relig...wait ok so I can stop with the thesaurusing (again, my word)!

ta dudes!

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

IP:

Irascible
posted May 21, 2002 03:06 AM            
Revised version:

1) Bit depth makes the picture more or less pretty. 32 bit is more pretty than 16 bit.
32 bits can also be the equivalent of four dollars. Quarters back in the "old days" were referred to a "two bits".

2) Trilinear also makes the picture more pretty. Trilinear is more pretty than bilinear.
Trilinear is also a type of interpolation that could help you find your way back when I mass driver your rear off the map.

3) Terrain Tris also makes the picture more or less pretty. The higher the number the more pretty it is.
Tris di Funghi on the other hand is a combination of mushrooms stuffed with almonds, sauteed and grilled. Terrain Tris is very similar to Tris di Funghi except that with the Terrain Tris variant they throw in some dirt when they're short on mushrooms.

None of the above items will effect lag as lag is either a delay in communications or travel induced fatigue. Though the fatigue may be ameliorated by means of a pretty game of Tread Marks.

(I'm just joshing with ya. )

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited May 21, 2002).]

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 21, 2002 09:23 AM            
LMAO

IP:

coaxs
posted May 21, 2002 12:57 PM            
q:^)> guy with backwards baseball hat and goatee smiling (sideways)? As you can see these things can get out of hand. I would suggest sticking to the standard emotes above.

classic

:

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 21, 2002 01:56 PM            
OOOOK!!!

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

IP:

peeeto
posted May 21, 2002 05:11 PM         
regarding #3:

you can change this setting during game play with the row of numbers on your keyboard (not the numpad). 1=1000, 2=2000, ... 0=10000.

try different settings to see effect on framerate. even though my pc can handle 7 or 8, i usually play at 3.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 21, 2002 06:25 PM            
Really Peeeto? Wow...more interesting things!

IP:

MexIndian
posted May 22, 2002 12:49 PM            
hey Ras that tris di fungi looks good. Recipie?

------------------
If I were you and you were me and I fragged you whose score would go up?

IP: