This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   This ones moral diversity - bear with me (no stones please)
=DNX= Matrix
posted May 17, 2002 12:19 AM            
Ok so im talking with a guy in wolfenstein who says make different skins for your tanks based on world war 2 and reshape the tanks to look more klunky.

Ok sez I, but if i do indeed use swastica's wont it offend people ?

War is war sez he.... it happened, no going back, you could do japs too or italians.

So i put it to the community of TM, if i did indeed create such skins for use in the bz mod - would ppl take offense or see it for what it is - a simple recreation of war with a slight futuristic tilt.

I ask this mainly for the comfort of dreamer and hut and any other race or creed that this skinning would involve.

In short - does it hit a sore spot with you - just trying to get feedback... hard in here sometimes, but at least ive asked.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

code:

.---. .-----------
/ \ __ / ------
/ / \( )/ ----- -=[ X C L A N ]=-
////// ' \/ ` ---
//// / // : : --- DEATHMATCH FEDERATION
// / / /` '--
// //..\\
=============UU====UU==== (`..(( WWW. DNXWORLD .COM ))..)
'//| |\\`
''``
_____ ____ ___ ____ __ _______ ___ __ ___ ___
__ / ___/_ _/\ / |/_ | / /\ /_ __ \ /_ | / /\ | |/ /\ __
/ /\ / /\\\ / /\\ / /| |\/ / /\ \/ /\ / /\ / / /\ > < \ / /\
\\\ / /____/ /___ / ___ |/ /| /\ / /__/ /\ / /| /\ / - |\ \\\
\____/______//_/\ |_|_/ |_/\ /______-\ /_/\|_/\ /__/\/__/
\\\\\ \\\\\\ \\ \\\\ \\ \\\\\\\\ \\\ \\ \\\\ \\\\

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 17, 2002 12:24 AM            
Use the Iron Cross (like the Ontos in TeamCTF) instead.

IP:

coaxs
posted May 17, 2002 12:27 AM            
I don't mind, it's really up to you. I think most people would know it's just history and won't take offence.

IP:

Irascible
posted May 17, 2002 12:37 AM            
-

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited May 17, 2002).]

IP:

Irascible
posted May 17, 2002 12:42 AM            
No problems here. I'm sure you're shocked. Those that might object MAY fall into two categories: those that are hypersensitive malcontents and those who object solely to tweak my nose.

IP:

Rex R
posted May 17, 2002 01:57 AM            
gee I've thought they used the iron cross. well that is what I would use on a tank skin. lets not make waves with germany about the use of the other symbol

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 17, 2002 04:28 AM            
I always wanted to see a real Tiger Panzer or other vintage tanks in TM.Might as well make it as acurate as you can..including the swastica.Heck even the new ones for that matter...M1A1..ect

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 17, 2002 04:57 AM            
If I remember correctly, the swaztika was not used on the tanks (WWII German aircraft, yes). So if he wanted to be accurate with his tank skins, there wouldn't be a swaztika on the tank at all.

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 17, 2002 05:28 AM         
Use of the swaztika symbol in a war-encouraging context is illegal in Germany. Not that there are no swaztikas in German versions of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

IP:

blandy
posted May 17, 2002 06:30 AM            
Hey ppl, been awhile. I dont mind, I think it'll make the game even more realistic. It'll B nice 2 C some real models of tanks.

l8r ppl.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 17, 2002 07:47 AM            
Matrix.. it seems like it could be a good idea in the instance of realism, but some people could take offense who don't see this forum. Maybe make a change or slight alteration on it! Like SOF there are supposed to be skinheads and the like but their supposed meaningful symbol has a square around it and the corneres were rounded off! Just a suggestion to avoic complications!

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

IP:

peeeto
posted May 17, 2002 12:04 PM         
i prefer the iron cross idea...

also, i think that BZP's right - i spent quite a while in the library & bookstore looking at books on tanks, and don't remember any swasticas on the german WWII tanks.

IP:

MexIndian
posted May 17, 2002 12:12 PM            
Freaking well done Matrix.

I would FREAK if I saw a tank with a swastika in there, but with fair warning (like this post), I'm actually looking forward to it. Way to handle a potential bomb man

BTW - No one should hate the Swastika... the real Aryan race was based in India (Aryan is a Sanskrit word) and later moved to Iran and eventually Germany... it was just a convenient tool for You_Know_who to use. There's alot to the Aryan race... thousands of years of history. Read up or ask me if interested.

In other words, Matrix....... God bless

------------------
If I were you and you were me and I fragged you whose score would go up?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 17, 2002 01:16 PM            
Well thx for the backing guys, and dreamer thx for not taking offence as such - youre right about the tanks and planes too - i checked, but my idea was to create an intermediate set of tanks for the bz mod which saw cyborgs back on earth discover the archives of the world war, and seeking education read up - since it was the only info they could lay their hands on they adopted it - much like that ep of star trek when kirk n spock arrive on a nazi germany planet.

The nazi cyborgs set off into space hunting the nsdf and cca space forces of the russiian and american but get stranded on a planet following an accident with their nav system - for over 2000 years these cyborgs have reinvented what they had and have finally reached their destination - the old battlegrounds of "battlezone" where colonists are making peace with the surviving scions and learning how to survive together.

The nazi ships will be similar to isdf ones since the cyborgs raided an nsdf base on earth many moons previous - but the designs evolved and created a whole new threat.

---- at least thats the idea, what you think ? i can include the iron cross too of course and yes ill be reskinning some tm tanks too as its come up in the thread.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 17, 2002 01:22 PM            
Yeap, german tanks had iron crosses on them. The only land vehicles that had swastica was the officer cars and cargo trucks. Ships and some aircraft had them as well. Most aircraft however had a varient of the iron cross that looked like a hash (#) symbol.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 17, 2002 02:27 PM            
The Tiger II/King Tiger tank was one of the most feared tanks up until the last days of WWII.

Here are some nice pictures of real ones. http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz5.htm

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 17, 2002 02:47 PM            
Heres another idea.Make the tanks different...the way they were different in real life.Like if one tank was feared because it had double armor than most tanks or maybe one was fatser than others or carried more powerfull ammo.That way all of the tanks wouldn't seem the same.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted May 17, 2002 02:53 PM            
I think the idea is great Matrix! As others have said the German tanks in WWII didn't use swasticas on them, so go for reality by all means.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 17, 2002 03:21 PM            
Gee Supe! That's excatly the idea behind TeamCTF hahahahahah.

The trick is to have some exploitable weakness that make the tank vunerable in some way.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted May 17, 2002 04:28 PM            
someone know how there gona translate this to HUT?

as for the swastica , i dont mind , its in dod and wolf, just go with their deal on it
and im still with the ruskys on this one of the most feard tank....T-62 was it? that was one tank that could beast a tiger bak to the stone age

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 17, 2002 07:43 PM            
fraid i dont know too much about the actualities of the war and who wore what on what vehicles - just thought it was a cool idea - but didnt want to start anything incase i upset someone.

Ive almost finished the bz tank skins so i should be able to post them up tonight - if theres a problem after that ill scrap the idea. Often the idea is sound but the visualisation can be a shock.

IP:

wolfman
posted May 17, 2002 08:26 PM            
If you are talking about the T34 it might of been able to do the King Tiger in close - but at a distance the KT would of torn it up. Just to let you know lol JT

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted May 17, 2002 09:47 PM            
how did the KT have advantage at a distance?
the T34 had a 82 or somthing mm cannon, KT was like 60 or somthing i cant remember

IP:

wolfman
posted May 17, 2002 10:41 PM            
By KT I meant King Tiger which came with an 8.8 cm high velocity cannon. The T34 came with a 76mm and later on an 85mm. King Tiger's armor thicker and just as well sloped as the T34 so head to head yada yada yada. Both good tanks. All around best tank of the war was probably the Panther. The Sherman pretty much sucked but won by numerical superiority. Seems Iron Cross on German Tanks would be fine or anything else historically accurate within reason.

IP:

wolfman
posted May 17, 2002 10:50 PM            
Big Smiley with the previous response forgot to include it lol Now the Soviet Josef Stalin tank was pretty awesome as well - had a 122 mm cannon in the turret woo hoo. German's had an awesome assault gun the Jagdtiger - which had a 12.8 cm gun. Needless to say I am a tank nut. lol

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3