|
Author Topic:   Spectator View
reddog
posted May 15, 2002 06:40 PM         
Is it possible to have an opption were we can join into a game only to watch and not be seen and not in the way off other players?.

[This message has been edited by reddog (edited May 15, 2002).]

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted May 15, 2002 06:46 PM            
not in retail version, i guess it could be moded tho?

Ive Got an Axe To Grind With you

IP:

reddog
posted May 15, 2002 06:53 PM         
Oh come on you clever lot out there you can do it, I would love to watch from the side lines.

IP:

coaxs
posted May 15, 2002 06:57 PM            
I think it was decided not to do that, since it was a drain on servers for people not even playing.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 15, 2002 11:14 PM            
This is an idea im currently discussing with Jim.

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 15, 2002 11:57 PM            
*slips money under table to /2ixy to get even more features discussed with jim*

;D

IP:

reddog
posted May 16, 2002 05:03 AM         
You see if I can watch how bad the players are I can join in and kick their butt. You wait you lot my new tank is ariving soon.

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted May 16, 2002 01:29 PM            
Sound,s a bit creepy to me, don,t want you watching me an learnin new trick,s red

IP:

reddog
posted May 20, 2002 07:32 PM         
Dirty tricks he he

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 20, 2002 11:26 PM            
Dont get your hopes up too high, LDA is extremely busy at the moment. but I have passed on the necessary information and interest level along with all the poular, feasable changes ppl have mentioned in the forum over the past months.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted May 20, 2002 11:38 PM            
Hrmm, Maybe if the Watching was made into a less bandwidth draining thing. For explain, you all know Dreamers Map Making thing. When you look at the map...etc in there. Well maybe if TM had some sorta thing like that, except it had like tiney mini models of the tanks, and the tanks with their turrets would point only in like 8 different directions ya know, and you could see shots fly out and hit or not hit. So maybe you'd have like a 20 second delay, or a 30 second delay. Then you could watch nukes wind around the map and BANG! And Im guessing this wouldn't create much lag, And if it did the server op could enable an option to temporarily disable the watcher lagging most until conditions cleared (a.k.a. player leaving..etc)

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 22, 2002 01:55 PM         
Dreamers.... map making... thing... ???

Absolutely feasible, all we need is status summaries coming from TM 4-5 times per second - maybe via a public socket? If only I could get my hands on TMs networking internals...

IP:

Karldar
posted May 22, 2002 02:13 PM            
Hey, at least GA capitalized most of it, Dreamer. lol

IP:

Rex R
posted May 23, 2002 02:17 AM            
well now since the server wouldn't have to worry about knowing where the spectator is (since they are intangible to weapons fire, and invisible). and if you take away ingame chat... bout all that is left is the server sending normal game info w/o needing to receive much more than a 'heartbeat' to let it know the spectator is still connected.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 23, 2002 02:51 AM            
Thats how quake does it, allows you to change between players views, but with little extra data you could have full control of view from any point in the gamespace , on ground or in the air.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited May 23, 2002).]

IP: