|
Author Topic:   Maybe this will put a smile on a few faces
KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 10:22 AM            
I just finished work on a neat little tool. Thank Kevlar for putting the bug in my head.

Its a tool that runs as a scedualed task on a TM server which chugs through the logs file and sends an update to a webserver containing a list of people currently playing on that server.

I have it running on the Boomstick servers, and the website resides at:

http://boomstickjoes.vze.com/

Look under
Boomstick Joe's (top menu)
Server status (left menu )
Boomstick 1 (sub menu)
Boomstick 2 (sub menu)

when you visit the site, the above will make sense.

The jobs run at 2 min intervals but its dependant on when TM/XP dumps the memory buffer of the log file to disk, and when the upload job hits the webserver and the webserver refreshes the database. Ignore the 10 min reference at the top of the page, its really 2 mins.

I have only 1 problem, I can't seem to find how to change the port the windows FTP client uses. If I can do this, then I can use my webserver to centralize the player lists of all TM servers (provided the server admins want to sign up for this, as there is set up involved).

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 10:51 AM            
Maybe I should have picked a better topic

IP:

Kevlar
posted May 09, 2002 11:51 AM            
Actually it was your idea. I just asked how your little web app check Boomstick's status. You click the link and it basically tells you that the server is up and running.

Then when you said it verified by checking the game logs and I said it would be cool it you parse the log for player names too.

Next email I get BAM! You have it running.

This is awesome, you actually figured out a way to return a list of players on the server. Instead of it just seeing how many players are on. And it took you all of a day.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 09, 2002 12:11 PM            
That has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen. You should consider hosting the other peoples' servers too. Seriously, that is really cool.

Can I suggest that you host all the servers info on one page, people don't like to click everywhere.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 12:34 PM            
Thats the idea actually. But I'm stuck since the ports normally associated with FTP, Telnet, and HTTP have been blocked by my ISP. I need to use alternate ports. I have been so far unable to get the ftp client that comes with windows to connect to any other port. I'm hopeing that someone could shed some light on this, or possible point me to a replacement ftp client (must be dos based, and allow the use of an external ftp script). If this problem cannot be overcome, then I cannot host the database.

In anycase, I need to make sure this works acceptibly, so I would like poeple to pop on the servers while someone checks the page to make sure that everything is running and the update rate is acceptible. It isn't realtime unfortunatly. But the delay should not be more than 2 mins. I would do the checks but since I'm using an alternate port for my website, I can't get to it from work.

Maybe I sould configure sendmail and have it email me a synopsis after every refresh. hmmmmmm... (wheels turning)

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 09, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted May 09, 2002 01:07 PM            
can I run this on my servers?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 01:16 PM            
Sure, but I built this on RH7.2 linux. If you are using IIS, we would need to reimplement the database loader. its a 3 line script.

You will need to install MySQL (as the database backend, although any SQL based DB should work fine), set up an FTP user for the TM servers to be able to upload the data and a schedueled task to sweep the files into the database. And reimplement the PHP script in ASP, unless you want to install PHP on your IIS server. THat would actually be easier since the server display is written as an XSLT.

But I REALLY want to know how to make the ftp client use a different port. Not just for this, but for other schemes, and my own sanity.

IP:

peeeto
posted May 09, 2002 01:38 PM         
woohoo!

awesome, KiLlEr - thanks! it would be fantastic if all the servers could implement this! (better yet if LDA incorporates this much-desired feature in the next release!)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 01:51 PM            
I've found a version of ncftp for windows. It has a command called 'ncftpput' which would work out nicely, but I can't grab it at work (no intenet ftp access). Apparently the dos ftp client is incapable of changing its port #. :/

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 01:56 PM            
I think I misunderstood you Paranor. IF you ment to have a TM server set up, then it is just a matter of running my C program at regular intervals via task schedular (every 2-5 minutes). This would work as-is but I have a problem with recieving inbound ftp connections. Part of the programs job is to build a data file and shipping it to the webserver. But the work to add this to a TM server is minimal. I though tyou ment being on the recieveing end and hosting the actual website.

Sorry if this was the case

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 08:59 PM            
Good news. I got it all working now with NcFTP. works great, so who's first to add thier server to the list?

IP:

Kevlar
posted May 09, 2002 09:17 PM            
Cool it works. Dudymas and Uck are on Boomstick 1.

IP:

Paranor
posted May 10, 2002 11:16 AM            
I think you second answer is what I was looking for killer. I want my servers listed on your web site. is that workable.

Very cool stuff man!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 10, 2002 12:25 PM            
Sure Paranor! All I need is the following info:

- unique name for the server (easy at the moment, dont call it boomstick1 or boomstick2. hahaha)
- ip address
- port number

EMail it to my forum-listed address, and I'll send you everything you need.

I'll start working on the master server page. I'll prolly setup a web front end for ops to sign up with, but for now, just email me the info.

Anyone else interested is free to do the same.

(hopefully you won't kill my mailserver, I can see the email pouring in. )

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 10, 2002).]

IP: