|
Author Topic:   Off on another subject :)
ARAGON
posted May 07, 2002 10:58 PM            
I am stumped with a PC problem. I can get the BIOS to clear the OK beep. I put a new bios battery, played with the jumpers, swapped the motherboard, swapped memory chips, the HD, and yanked all of the cables so only the BIOS is booted. I assume its my 'puter chip?

Anyone have a friggin clue? Aghhhhhhhhhh!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 08, 2002 01:00 AM            
Well if youve done the hardware reset on the MB with the jumpers your comp will goto the default manufacturers date anyway - your CMOS will date reset - as a suggestion tho is your floppy light on constantly with the bleep - if it is you have the cable on the wrong way round :P

Beleive it or not thats a sure fire way to stop the comp booting - the way round it if you can get into bios and dont use your floopy is to disconnect it and bypass the detect in the bios.

IP:

Paranor
posted May 08, 2002 01:25 PM            
Isn't it a gateway box?

mooooooo

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 08, 2002 01:52 PM            
Aragorn: What is the problem you have exactly? I'm not understanding your initial post. A PC will not boot if you donot have a video card installed. If its an integrated video card, then try clearing the bios as it might have disabled it at the bios level, in which case, you will not boot, but get several short beeps.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 08, 2002).]

IP:

ARAGON
posted May 08, 2002 05:57 PM            
Sorry, I was a bit grumpy from that cow box. My vid card is integrated. The problem is I get NO beeps. Nada, zilch, nuttin. I have pulled the HD, DVD-ROM, and diskette drive cables from the motherboard and still no beeps. It just sits there. Tried the jumper settings to force it to read a bios ROM from the diskette but nuttin again. This is a new motherboard also.

paranor: BITE MY COW CHIP!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 09, 2002 09:32 AM            
There are 2 possibilities,

1) Chack to make sure that the BIOS data clear jumper is set to normal (i.e. not the erase position).

2) Your bios has failed.

Exactly what bios chip is it? Award or megatrends?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 09, 2002 02:38 PM            
Keeping it simple... Have you tried the mobo outside the case? You might have it grounded somewhere. You mentioned that it was a new mobo. What happened to the old one?

Try this outside the case. Hook up the CPU and HSF, RAM, video, PS, monitor. No keyboard or mouse. Power up. If you get video, power down and hook up the keyboard. Try again. If it's still good, hook up the mouse. Keep going until it stops. If it's all good, double check your case for where it might be grounding out. Put some standoffs if you need to. Good luck...

IP: