This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Community regulating itself
coax
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 04:09 AM            
How hard would it be to make a patch that allows users to boot people off of servers. The server op could put a list of trusted ips in some folder, and anyone having that IP would be allowed to kick people off a server. This seems the easiest solution to implement.

What We Need

• The ability to boot people off the server, if your ip is a trusted ip placed their by the server op.
  • At the very minimum the ability to get their ip numbers.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coax (edited May 05, 2002).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 04:33 AM            
I agree.Especially with the player that was on the server tonight,cussing everybody out and fragging his team.
We also need to have something up and all the kinks worked out before TM2 hits the streets.
If you can't boot someone it would be nice to be able to get the IP address of anyone that connects to the server at least.That way we won;t have people,like tonight,that think they are fooling everybody by changing their player name and causing problems.

IP:

Rex R
posted May 05, 2002 05:35 AM            
dunno how handy it is but, there is a server comand that will list all human players on the server

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 05, 2002 10:26 AM            
There is an IP ban list in the treadmarks folder. As for a patch to allow the /kick [playername] I think that would be a good idea - however, I understood there was already such a facility available to the server host.

IP:

KONG
posted May 05, 2002 10:30 AM            
I think they are talking about being able to boot players from within the game while playing. I believe such an option would be abused sooner or later. And alot of players having dynamic IP's would make it ineffective anyway

IP:

kv
posted May 05, 2002 11:10 AM            
I thought general hazing (all players attack that person) of the player was the usual response to that kind of behavior.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 02:03 PM            
Kong: I really don't think it would be abused. As for dynamic ips theres always ways to include them.

KV:You can't haze them, because it's what they want.

[This message has been edited by coax (edited May 05, 2002).]

IP:

KONG
posted May 05, 2002 02:18 PM            
Coax- A dynamic IP means that everytime a user connects to his ISP he is assigned a new IP number(this includes most dialup and adsl users). Hence you would have to ban every IP # in that block in order to ban that user. All they would have to do to rejoin the server after being banned is reconnect to their isp. The same holds for banning someone on a bbs that uses IP banning. I believe this is why some games use CD key banning? This really does not work either. Pretty simple to change a CD key. The only players you could ban permanently would be those with a static IP.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 02:38 PM            
Heres how the IP ban list works for the bboard. I hope it could be used for the boot option too.

quote:

IP Number Ban Lists: You may ban any IP numbers from registering and posting. Type in the complete IP number (as in 243.21.31.7), or use a partial IP number (as in 243.21.31). The UBB will do matches from the beginning of each IP number that you enter. Thus, If you enter a partial IP of 243.21.31, someone attempting to register who has an IP number of 243.21.31.5 will not be able to register. Similarly, if you have an IP ban on 243.21, someone registering who has an IP of 243.21.3.44 will not be able to register. Thus, be careful when you add IPs to your ban list and be as specific as possible. As with the email ban list, put each IP number on its own line (hit the carriage return after each entry). The IP Ban prevents anyone with matching IP number from registering and posting.

IP:

KONG
posted May 05, 2002 03:08 PM            
Exactly. The only way you could effectively ban a person is to ban the whole block. Say 243. But this would ban all persons using that block. Lets say you want to ban me(but why would you?) I may have an IP of
125.223.45.9 the next time I connect I may have an IP of 125.525.337.65 or if I have a large ISP they may have more than 1 block of IP's. I could reconnect with an IP of
77.333.218.66. You would have to block all of the users at 243,125 and 77 .

And odds are good that you would be blocking players that you want to connect.

Maybe someone else could explain this a little better?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 03:14 PM            
You explained it well. But, I thought we were talking about giving people access to boot people not bannining people?

IP:

A2597
posted May 05, 2002 03:16 PM            
ARGH! NOT HERE TO!

Teamkillers, flagrunners...BURN THEM!.

THose jerks have ruined more then one game for me. (By game, I don't mean a match, but rather the entire GAME, I don't play WoT MP at ALL anymore because of them)

One thing I like about TM is that the community is FUN to play with. Another is that TM allows compleat logging of the match. Do those logs show IP numbers? PLEASE SAY YES. if not, simply add that as a feature. that way, person comes in, acts the jerk, mod reads log, jerk is banned. (Period).

Banning my users is another thing that NEEDS to be implemented, but if it is, it's up to the USERS to use it. typically it's done by a vote, 50% or more and the guy is banned. Unfortually, this can cause problems. In WoT for example, I had a team killer (Spent the whole time fragging me, and I couldn't defend as team damage was at like 10%, but the weapon he had was STILL a one hit kill weapon). I called for a ban, NO ONE, not even my own TEAM MATES voted.

If TM has a voting system, PLEASE USE IT. I would absoluty HATE to leave another community because the servers become ridden with jearks. (WoT was very fun when it first came out, more fun I ever had in a game online, people congratulated you on your shots, gave tips, would stop games to teach a newbie, etc. now... Bah. )

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

KONG
posted May 05, 2002 04:53 PM            
So you boot them, they reconnect and get back on the server. You know that after someone actually gets booted they will spend all their time trying to get back on the server and messing with ppl.

Best to just do things as we have been. If you run a server and want to boot someone, just do it. Or ask the server operator to boot them. could become a full time job.

Sounds like you want the police tank, without the tank?

------------------
KongTM

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 05:26 PM            
police tank, oh yes that reminds me....

These changes won"t be abused and if they are they can be taken out, I Can"t imagine anyone abusing it

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 07:11 PM            
Do not know which world you have been living in coax, but abuse of power is one of the most prevalent problems that exists in the world today and to think that the status quo will remain in TM if you add those kind of capabilities is to show how naive some of us still are in light of the things that go on in today's world. Do not for a second believe that someone will not abuse a user ban ability if there are not some kind of restrictions placed on its use by all persons. If you can use it so can an abuser if he finds out about it. So keep your, my and all others (excepting maybe the server op's) hands off that kind of capability.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TMMaps

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 07:32 PM            
Sailor: If you closely read what I said it's still in the server ops hand they'll decide who has access to the boot feature. And when I say I can't imagine anyone abusing it, I'm referring to the community not the Rest of the World. The other option is just to have their IPs. This is hardly over reaching power since the power is still in the server ops hands but now they have people they choose protecting their servers. I'm still confused on why people are against this, since the server op is still in ultimate control and decides who has the ability to kick other people off.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 05, 2002 08:11 PM            
Ok, hows this sound .... an ingame bot similar to the messageboard that censors abuse text when typed, or simply wont show the line when its entered ingame; the result instead is a warning to the typist saying next time a violation occurs during that game/log a /kick will be enforced and an ip ban temporary for 2 games to give them a chancve to cool off.

This way it's not a total ban but does enforce our ingame standards which also serves to protect the eyes and minds of younger players.

failing that what about the player who has been on the serever longest (icon shows on their screen) has control over the /kick command and thus the status of the game. Even kicking an AI would mean that ai is replaced by another one (very satisfying when one seems to have singled you out for utter obliteration).

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 05, 2002 10:17 PM            
I think the simpliest thing to do is just get their IP address.coax has the ability to look at peoples IP address that post in this forum.Sure there are ways around it but we have nothing stopping them now.
I think that if they know that their IP can ID them in most cases,they won't get on the server and be a cocky trouble maker.We have ALWAYS had these people in TM.Some are worse than others.
I for one paid for this game and I believe I have the right to play on a server without someone calling me a MF for no reason or contantly fragging me and laughing about it even though we are on the same team.All other games have some kind of monitoring feature so why are people argueing about it?
We have talked about this before many times.Time to do something about it.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 05, 2002 11:28 PM            
Actually...you have that capability right now. If the server ops chooses to install VNC and allow permissions for certain, trusted users, you would be able to do that from your comfort of your own comp. They could even reset/reboot the server if need be...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 06, 2002 12:47 AM            
Sounds cool...wanna ask LDA BZP?

IP:

MikeDalmatian
posted May 06, 2002 01:21 AM            
I don't like the idea of people having my IP address. I've had some threats by would be hackers who say they'll make my CD drive pop open and my moniter turn off.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 06, 2002 02:20 AM            
If thats what they told you, I don't think that was a "threat".

IP:

guido 1
posted May 06, 2002 08:02 PM         
This is a very dangerous proposition , and abuse would be rampant . I think some Ego's have gotten way too Big . Absolute power corrupts absolutely .

------------------
If you can't run with the big [D.O.G.]'S .... stay on the porch hehe ... Guido the mercy killer .... FRAG ON .....

IP:

Kevlar
posted May 06, 2002 08:04 PM            
Out of the mouths of babe's

IP:

guido 1
posted May 06, 2002 08:08 PM         
I've changed my mind ... boot Kevlar .....hehehehe .

------------------
If you can't run with the big [D.O.G.]'S .... stay on the porch hehe ... Guido the mercy killer .... FRAG ON .....

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2