|
Author Topic:   Viris Alert
TBI-KT
posted May 03, 2002 10:46 PM            
Just to day i have goten a viris that wiped out my windows files. Im gesing i got it from the server that i had runing or the server i was playing on. I probly wont be play on TM for a while or making and new mods. Iv go to REINSTALL EVERY THING!! Doesnt that suck!

IP:

JVortex
posted May 04, 2002 02:28 AM            
sorry to hear about your attack, got everything all better now?

im no programing genius but i do know a decent amount about the TM engine and how it opperates. it seems VERY unlikely that a virus was transferred to you comp via a TM multiplayer server.

TM servers synch their info to your computer telling your comp to grab a copy of all the entity files on the host that are different than the entity files on your local machine. your local copy then creates a sort of temporary archive of these ent files to work from (more or less anyhow).

point being that your copy of TM is grabbing ONLY *.ent files from the host and doesnt bother with any other file type. thus the reason that us clients have to download various mod packs to play on servers. ent files cant contain an active virus that im aware of. aside from that, for your comp to grab the file it must be active and running on the server. so the server would have to willingly expose itself to the virus as well before you could get it.

chances are that you managed to get it by coincidence while playing TM. i suppose that somewhere in here i could be way off base, but i truely dont think that playing TM had a thing to do with it.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 04, 2002 02:56 AM            
Your quite right. Also, TM dosn't load anything onto your hard drive. all the ents stay in memory. And since ents are just plain text files, there is no possible way of embedding executabe code into them.

The only way you may get a virus is if you donot have a personal firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) installed. You also might want to get a decent anti-virus package as well. Particularly one which scans in comming and outgoing email. (Nortons AV is nice)

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 04, 2002).]

IP:

TBI-KT
posted May 04, 2002 04:49 AM            
I have two fire walls and Anti Norton Virus running 24/7 unless i am sending some person a file(.zip)then i have to turn them both off.

IP: