|
Author Topic:   Pop-up ads
Teulk
posted April 26, 2002 02:58 PM            
Some time ago, on this BB, I heard mention of a way to dispense with those annoying pop-up ads. Would anyone care to refresh my memory as to how this is done? I have Ad-Aware installed, yet these little ****es seem to bombard me endlessly. I'm wondering which of the files the program "captures" I should delete, and which I should back-up. There are so many types of files, that I'm anxious about deleting something I shouldn't.

I realized after I posted this that it might not be appropriate on this board...my apologies

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited April 26, 2002).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 26, 2002 03:11 PM            
Yes, this belongs in the general forum. I know the only reason people place non-TM related subjects here is either because they forgot, it's quicker to get a responce, or they want to have a long discussion on it. I'll leave it to individuals to balance those 3 things with keeping the forum clean for TM related content.

Ad-aware does not get rid of pop-up adds but only spt-ware. Just delete anything it says is spy ware you should be find. Or keep a back up of all the spy ware if you want.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coax (edited May 03, 2002).]

IP:

Vlad
posted April 26, 2002 03:48 PM            
Just keep in mind that certain programs require their spyware to be installed in order to run. Kazaa springs to mind. If you uninstall the spyware that gets installed with it (cydoor, I think), then you won't be able to use Kazaa any longer.

IP:

guido 1
posted April 26, 2002 05:05 PM         
If you use winxp os get teak xp a great utility that also includes a pop up stopper and stops banner ads . www.tweakxp.com . you get a trial period of 50 executions of the program . As far as kazaa , or morpheus . i've got one that beats them all hands down , and NO spyware get it here www.winmx.com . try'em you'll like'm . for winmx any win os will work . have fun .

------------------
If you can't run with the big [D.O.G.]'S .... stay on the porch hehe ... Guido the mercy killer .... FRAG ON .....

IP:

kv
posted April 26, 2002 05:25 PM            
I use Proxomitron. Stops anything you want it to. Popups, banners, java, cookies, gifs, midi files, anything that you think is annoying. Just make sure you read the setup information or else it won't do anything.

I would give a link, but it leads to a yahoo group. Just search on excite for it, I found a direct download on a japanese site.

IP:

John B.
posted April 26, 2002 05:52 PM         
I use Popupstopper
http://www.popupstopper.net/

Works well, quick and easy to turn on and off.

IP:

Teulk
posted April 26, 2002 06:01 PM            
Great, I'll give them both a try, comparison shop, as it were..!!

IP:

kv
posted April 26, 2002 07:02 PM            
oh yeah, forgot to mention, proxomitron is free.

IP:

Teulk
posted April 26, 2002 07:17 PM            
Yup...got it, it's workin' it's magic as we speak...thx

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 27, 2002 02:21 AM         
AnalogX offers a similar prog for download - automatically kills all popups you tell it to and no others.
(Software->Network->Browser Addons)

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited April 27, 2002).]

IP:

uck
posted April 27, 2002 03:49 AM            
i stop popups like this in IE 5,
control panel\internet properties\security\internet\custom level\then set all ActiveX & Scripting options to prompt

IP: