|
Author Topic:   Spawning... again!
-DNX-Ni
posted April 22, 2002 12:25 PM            
As The Big Red Dude downunder says

'Do whatever you like so long as you can pay the consequences'...along those lines!

Whoever spawns me will be spawn killed themselves! I know it's wrong to perpetuate this but it's seemingly going unnoticed so I plan to make it a big deal now, since noone else is!

------------------

code:
         | ||\    | |    | | \\       //                                 
| | \\ | |\\ | | \\ //
| | | | | \\ | | \\ //
======= | | // | | \\| | \\ // ======
| ||/ | | | | \ /
/ \
======= *IT'S IN THE FRAG* // \\ ======
// \\
// \\
// \\

IP:

Vlad
posted April 22, 2002 02:04 PM            
Say what you will about spawn killing, but you can hardly say that it's not going unnoticed.

I haven't been playing much TM recently, and I think that's largely due to the fact that the TM community has gotten really whiny in the past few months. I've been playing Treadmarks for over 2 years, and people have only started complaining about spawn fragging in the last 3-4 months. Nobody ever seemed to have a problem with it before.

Either way, I declare right now that if you're near me, and your name is written in red letters, I'm probably gonna shoot at you. Exceptions may be made if I'm trying to inflict swift revenge upon Superunknown, or have another target in mind, but in most cases, prepare to defend yourself.

I could understand the whole issue if Treadmarks was like Quake, where there were a small number of spawn points on the map, and one can camp there and just toss rockets at them and rake in a few kills, but 99% of the time, when I come upon a fresh spawn, I just happen to be passing through. Even worse is when people complain about camping! The other day, someone (can't remember who) was CONSTANTLY bitching about people camping. Anybody who complains about camping obviously doesn't know wtf camping is. Camping is when you hang out in one area, either a spawn spot or where a good item respawns. To use the Quake example again, campers tend to hide in view of the Quad damage and pick people off as they run to grab it. A camper can also just hide in one area and pick people off as they go by. Now, if someone really was attempting to camp in TM, they're not going to have a whole lot of luck. Not only will they have no reason to camp a weapon spawn, since the weapons spawn randomly ("yup, everybody's gonna come running to grab those plasma mines... any second now"), and you can't exactly hide. People can see your name through mountains, and there's also this little thing called "radar".

Back to spawn fragging... Unless you get really unlucky with your spawn (landing in front of someone with a Flamer would apply), a fresh spawn can be pretty deadly. I could understand the complaints if you spawned with no weapons and half health, but you're coming onto the field with full health, and most of the time you spawn ON A WEAPON SPAWN SPOT. Even if you don't land on a good weapon, the 120mm can do a good job holding people off while you make a run for something better. There have been many times when I've spawned next to someone with a bolton, and managed to either kill them or do some serious damage to them before being brought down. I'm not going to give someone who's just as deadly as any other player on the map breathing room simply because they just spawned. It's up to each person to check their radar, and get their bearings as fast as they can. I'm not going to just drive by someone and hope that they don't shoot me in the back. Treadmarks may be a small community, but I'm not going to record every player's stance on spawn fragging, especially when the complaints are so unfounded.

And just another heads up as to my own personal style of play... If you Death Wish because I happened to be near you when you spawned and I happened to get off the first shot, I'll be extra sure to give you priority if I've got a nice juicy nuke.

IP:

Teulk
posted April 22, 2002 03:04 PM            
What the heck is a Death Wish??

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 22, 2002 03:39 PM            
On the other side of the spectrum I'll voice my opinion.I have always hated spawn fragging even though it wasn't brought up unitl several months ago.I just feel cheap when I do it and takes 0 skill and it feels like a low blow when someone does it to me.Just because I hate it though dosen't mean I'm going to start crying when someone does it.I just deal with it.But that dosen't mean that I think its cool to do it.
I hope LDA does add 5 sec invincibility so this doesn't have to be a debate though.Thats the only way we'll be able to clear this up and make everybody happy.
I have found that most people refrain from spawn fragging these days and I and I'm sure others really appreciate it.And in some cases they take it to a extreme and totally disregard you which is ok but I don't think its what people were hoping for.If you don't want to spawn frag then just give that person time to get to a weapon spawn then let them have it.If they pick up a ramdrill then oh well.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 22, 2002 04:33 PM            
quote:
What the heck is a Death Wish??

It's a self-destruct, activated by hitting control-K. It's basically in there to give you a way out in case you get stuck in an unclimbable crater, or get sent flying so far off the map, that nobody's gonna bother chasing you down, and it'll take you around 10 minutes to get back. You lose a frag for doing it, but get dropped right back into the fray. The problem is that every so often, people use the feature to get out of being fragged. It usually happens with the occasional lamer that finds out about the game (Bio being the most recent example), but lately, people have been using it to get out of being spawn fragged, which is rather annoying, but unfortunately seen as being more justifiable.

quote:
On the other side of the spectrum I'll voice my opinion.I have always hated spawn fragging even though it wasn't brought up unitl several months ago.I just feel cheap when I do it and takes 0 skill and it feels like a low blow when someone does it to me

I'm gonna have to disagree there. Spawn fragging can feel lousy if you spawn on something like a machine gun, Plasma Mines, or a Repair and takes you out with the Flamer, but for every time I've gotten spawnfragged when I landed on a not-so-useful weapon, there have been other times that I've landed on something that's allowed me to take out the person who thought they'd have an easy kill. As I've said before, just because someone's freshly spawned, doesn't make them helpless. You can still kill somebody with the 120mm. Heck, just shoot at them while driving away from them. If you hit them, then that stalls them for a second or two, giving you time to go somewhere else. While it's not possible to get away every time, I don't really feel that it's THAT much of an issue to warrant this sort of honor system or a built in 5 second invincibility. I'm especially wary about the 5 second invincibility because in order for it to be balanced, the invincible person would have to be unable to fire for those 5 seconds. If anything, that would put fresh spawns at a disadvantage, because another tank could just run up to them and wait for their invincibility to run out, then frag them. If the fresh spawn had the ability to fire, then they'd at least be able to hold the tank back.

The best way to resolve the issue that I can think of would be for LDA to somehow set it so that a tank will only spawn where there are no other tanks for X meters. I don't know how feasible that is, but it would eliminate spawn fragging for the most part (cruise missiles would still be around), and wouldn't put any player at a disadvantage. I know that I wouldn't want to be unable to fire once I hit the ground. There have been times that I've needed to fire in the first 5 seconds.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted April 22, 2002 05:26 PM            
im with supe sorry,. NI is gona do what he has to do , but keep my "white knight"status that even if the spawniest of spawnfragers is right infron tof me and i spawn on a cruise i wont fire till he does or till its been like ennuff time for him to make his tactical desicion

------------------
Grind n' Click , Lock n' Load

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 22, 2002 06:26 PM            
Minor correction for Teulk, Vlad meant Alt K

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted April 22, 2002 07:15 PM            
lol!

everyone download, silverchair - spawn again

har har har

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 22, 2002 10:44 PM            
Silverchair..the old band that had that one song "Wait till Tommorow" or whatever?
That song is the theme song at my workplace because my boss is a fat,greedy,basta%#

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted April 23, 2002 01:39 PM            
I heard they were gonna become huge wiuth their next album but the singer's came down with a major illness and they've had to temporarily, possibly permanently replace him! Bummer for Bigtime!

------------------

code:
         | ||\    | |    | | \\       //                                 
| | \\ | |\\ | | \\ //
| | | | | \\ | | \\ //
======= | | // | | \\| | \\ // ======
| ||/ | | | | \ /
/ \
======= *IT'S IN THE FRAG* // \\ ======
// \\
// \\
// \\

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 23, 2002 02:51 PM            
In other rock news the singer in Alice in Chains died Alice in Chains was one of my favorite bands when they were big.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted April 23, 2002 05:45 PM            
i know dude =( i thought layne stayley was such a koo guy, i kinda saw it coming tho

and has daniel johns got arthritus i think

?!?!?

------------------
Dead eye ;) hehehaha

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted April 23, 2002 07:43 PM            
'Again'... what a song!

IP: