|
Author Topic:   Trouble
HUT
posted April 17, 2002 04:50 PM            
Hi !
Maybe You know the reason of a my problem.
When I playing in multiplayer but on my own server (started on my computer)
I see some delays (ping is changing from 80 to 150) and sometimes my tank doesn't move smoothly.
Especially on dark surfaces, when I riding with more then 70 mph.
When more then 5 players are in game, the game is slowing down, tank control is difficult (slow)

Configaration :
Windows 98
Celeron 633 oc. 950
258 MB RAM
Hercules Kyro II
17 GB HDD
Best wishes HUT

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted April 17, 2002 05:04 PM            
Hut,
I have never tried to run a server and game on the same machine, but I think you would have a lot better luck running it on an OS that can multitask better like Windows 2000. It seems like Windows 9x/ME would be erratic on how much processor time would be devoted to each process (server vs game).
By the way, how do you like the Kyro II video card? What did you have before, and what is the improvement?
Thanks,
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

HUT
posted April 17, 2002 05:18 PM            
Before Kyro II I had Voodoo 3000. I can see improvement in performance, but most of it I can see in image quality : better color (now I can play in 32 bit color) and image sharpness on my 17" monitor.

IP:

Paranor
posted April 17, 2002 05:37 PM            
I used to do that - in fact, that's how I got into playing multiplayer. I was running a server and beating up my kid on it and Skan came in and chatted and voila, here I am making your lives miserable.

But, when I ran the server *and* played on the game on the same box it was a PIII 1.x Ghz with 256MB of RAM but it had Windows 2000. I'd say Windoze 9x won't hack it. CPU and memory is fine.

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 17, 2002 05:53 PM            
I test weapons by starting as server and joining on the same box, but also Win2000.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 17, 2002 06:06 PM            
You need a faster processor to run on your own computer's server. If there are other players on internet in a game where the person is playing on their own server (not LAN games, only internet ones are effected), the server will begin slowing down greatly.

I know that 850MHz Pentium 3 (or is that 2?) chips can handle multiplayer LAN games while playing on there server's computer. Also having a top graphics card will help the speed when playing on your own computer. I doubt a Cel 633 will ever be able to handle it though., even overclocked.

--RC

(note: the 850mhz setup is what we used at the TM display at the Dallas CPL event about 1.5 years ago, those systems had GeForce3GTS chips also though and I don't know how much that came into play. I don't recall which OS they had.)

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited April 17, 2002).]

IP: