|
Author Topic:   Flying Stars!!!
GoldAnt_Number1
posted April 16, 2002 11:32 PM            
Ok, now ever since I found out what ACTIVE DESKTOP ment, i've been trying to get the flying stars screen saver to run as the background for my desktop Flying stars in the background eh? NEATO!!!! But only problem is I have "NO CLUE" how. I've asked people and they've told me to do it in java...etc I have "NO CLUE" how java works so can somebody who has "A CLUE" Help me just a little? The File is in Windows/System and its called Flying through space. All I want is like a web page file that would run the screen saver as the background, cept theres nothing on the web page.

EDIT: Coaxs, don't you dare touch this thread hehehe

------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

[This message has been edited by GoldAnt_Number1 (edited April 16, 2002).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 17, 2002 04:07 AM            
You mean the old flying through space screen saver?
I did a exhausing search looking for the answer but came up with nothing.
I don't know how to do it but to make the animation of flying through stars with Shockwave or Flash or some other animation creator.I don't know if you are going to be able to import the screensaver into a HTML editor.
If you are just wanting to convert the screensaver to a non-animated picture then thats easy..there are hundreds of programs that can do that

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 17, 2002 06:15 AM         
Animated backgrounds... now that's a problem.
If you use an animated .gif, you'll be bored to death within five minutes.
Flash consumes LOTS of cpu cycles and that's not what you want your windows background to do. I have absolutely no clue whether Flash supports the sort of randomization needed to produce a relatively nice anim.
Java could do it, but the virtual machine required to run java apps needs a pretty huge chunk of memory and heats up your CPU, too, so that might be a bad idea, too.
A combination of javascript and html-stylesheets might do the trick, too, but that is probably not going to produce a very smooth animation - that would still be what I would try, though.
Implementing the effect in VRML would be pretty easy, but that would screw up all your Direct3D and OpenGL programs - two applications accessing your 3D hardware at the same time is likely to force one of them into software mode.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 17, 2002 07:06 AM            
Closest I can come up with is to have a space type background set on a html page with the scroll tag set to on - it would be vertical not 3d, but provide an animated backdrop when the html is set as a backdrop in active desktop.

Like dreamer said tho - theres other ways with java etc but ur CPU would soon find its floating point sinking LOL

IP:

Vlad
posted April 17, 2002 02:54 PM            
http://www.geisswerks.com/drempels/

Drempels is a pretty neato screensaver that can also be used as the desktop wallpaper. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work as wallpaper (probably due to my ever-aging Voodoo3), but as a screensaver, it looks quite neat.

It's not flying stars, but it's something.

IP:

kv
posted April 17, 2002 06:50 PM            
yeh, drempels is cool. I converted all the textures from TM for use with drempels.

"converted" because drempels will crash due to some color depths used in TM. I found a pro... um... oh yeah, psp did that batch convert...

if you try it and want the fixed textures, I could try and send them to you somehow. 12 mb zip of bmp files (jpgs don't work as well according to the readme). Only the textures that look good are in there.

you can try without fixing them, but it crashed on my system.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 17, 2002 09:12 PM            
That's odd.. the textures that Drempels comes with are jpgs. They should work fine.

IP:

Rex R
posted April 18, 2002 01:11 AM            
while back I found a 'FotoCube' screen saver you can use up to 6 different pictures on it(I used 6 flags more or less at random)

IP:

kv
posted April 18, 2002 07:47 AM            
vlad, jpgs do work fine, but the readme says that bmp and tga files are better.

IP: