|
Author Topic:   lag reducer
KONG
posted April 05, 2002 09:39 AM            
This idea may have been tried already, but here goes...

During ddm's and other large gatherings of players, couldn't we turn off the crater effects on the weapons? Maybe the scorch as well? Leave the nukes as they are but loose the rest?

This would greatly reduce connection time to the server, and lag during the game.
we would loose most terrain deformation. Is it worth the tradeoff?

Doesn't the server have to update the track marks as well?

your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited April 05, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 05, 2002 10:14 AM            
Agree - but leave Dirtball on. Without the capability to flip enemy tanks it becomes worthless. But definately turn off GAU and Machine Gun if nothing else. Those two add the most craters and are rapid fire with lots of ammo. Also the Swarmer should be cut for the same reason. No need for the Flamer or Plasma to have craters either (or the mines and mass driver, though I don't think they leave holes).

But the missles: MRL, Concussions could be left. It would be odd without them making holes, but the Concussion could be dropped without really much effect, but not the MRL.

Otherwise, these should be left: Nuke, Matter, Airstrike, Dirtball, Cruise

(why not Cruise? Its so rare it will make almost no craters!)

IP:

peeeto
posted April 05, 2002 10:27 AM         
[edit] RC covered my thoughts better than i did, as i was typing

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited April 05, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted April 05, 2002 11:42 AM            
Hey, good suggestion! Especially the treadmarks.

Can you ENT geeks, I mean gurus break down what needs to be done on the server versus the client?

IP:

Rex R
posted April 05, 2002 12:52 PM            
well I think this will work(should ask jv he has had more experience with this)
taken from the avenger ent(projectile)
crater = 2
#change to 0(zero)
#meter radius of crater
depth = 0.5
#likewise 0
#meter depth of crater
scorch = 0.5
#change to 1
#percentage to blacken near center. 1.0 is no change, 0.0 is all black.
this should do it(I think)

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 05, 2002 01:22 PM            
>>>

You only need to change Scorch and Depth. Radius does not effect a thing if Depth=0.

The only part I don't know is even if Depth=0, Crater=0 whether or not TM will still send the info...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 05, 2002 03:38 PM            
We could try it and see if it does reduce lag or not.

I found out with my soccer mod that even though I turned off all cratering and scorching, the server was still trying to sync the "unseen" craters to the connecting players. Maybe I just did it wrong or sumthing...

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted April 05, 2002 05:31 PM            
good thinking Kong.

Every little bit helps.

------------------

"I see fragged people...they're everywhere...they walk around like everyone else...they don't even know that they're fragged."
DNX-Tiggs, D.O.G - Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Tiggs (edited April 05, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 05, 2002 06:18 PM            
It would be a good idea to turn off ICq / IMsg Systems, Mail progs and any other bandwidth huggers too - i notice many ppl on icq in tm during ddm's. some of you have good connetions but you will be amazed the difference this simple act can make.

IP:

KONG
posted April 05, 2002 09:50 PM            
couldn't we comment out the crater and scorch commands. since as bzp says it still syncs the non-existent craters? must keep the dirtball and nukes. the rest as rc said could go. especially the gau bullets

IP:

KONG
posted April 06, 2002 10:50 AM            
here is something to try-
http://kong.kicks-ass.org/no_guidance_no_craters.zip

has guidance and craters removed from most weapons. could someone set up a test server?

IP:

KONG
posted April 06, 2002 08:57 PM            
we tried it on wolfmans server and there was no guidance and reduced cratering. still needs to be tested with many people

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted April 06, 2002 09:30 PM            
it seems faster... and for some reason, or maybe it's just wolfman's server, but my ping had lowered by about 60 from normal seerver pings! even LDA's when it's unoccupied!

------------------

code:
       '\
_\______
/ \========
____|__________\_____
/ ___________________ \
\/ _===============_ \/
"-===============-"
:)this tank needs a party:)

IP:

Rex R
posted April 07, 2002 01:39 AM            
IIRC the nuke/matter bomb has some 'lag' written into the ents. namely sound ent calls for "explolong" since the game will not find that, it prolly causes a bit of lag( I once removed the quotes, talk about a rolling boom...) prolly those lines ought to be commented out.

IP: