This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   TM Movies
Kevlar
posted March 31, 2002 03:45 PM            
Well I finally got the kinks worked out on my capture device. I made a couple of movies yesterday. One with Hut, Pablo & me. And the next one had a few more ppl, N-N-N & Sonic and a couple more. I think I saw Kong in there too.

If I get back in time I am going to film the DDM. I am using tv-out to a tv with vcr, so I dont have to worry about filling a hard drive up.

Here are a few scenes:

TM Intro (3.99MB)

Cruise Missile hit:

Scene 1 (1.52MB)

Cool Air Strike:

Scene 32

I have one of yesterday's games already compiled into a full movie, I will post it on my work server tomorrow, and the second one, I just got all the scenes trimmed up. I may go try to catch the Euro-DDM. BTW Par, did you and JV ever get a camera tank going?

I am going to try Divx encoding, I download Divx movies a lot and a full 2 hour movie is about 400mb on average. so a TM-Movie would be crunched down to maybe 20 or 30 mb with no blurriness.

More importantly I planned to make preview animations for the weapons, tanks and maps.

------------------
TM-Central.com

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited April 01, 2002).]

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 31, 2002 07:40 PM            
Awesome shot of SU Air Born...
Small sample from Euro-DDM:

SU Airborn (2.45MB)

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 31, 2002 07:50 PM            
A 2 hour movie is 400 MBs? That must be really lacking in quality or resolution. I find anything under 1.5 GBs for 2 hours is very poor...but I'm also recording at 640x480 pixel size...

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 31, 2002 07:54 PM            
One more from Euro...

KJ 1st Air Strike (4MB)

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 31, 2002 07:59 PM            
No, actually not. With Divx its DVD quality even though not all of the movies are captured in the best quality. If you've ever used Kazaa there is a ton there, but it has spyware though.

I have a copy of Office Space and Jay & Silent Bob that are DVD quality that I downloaded. And not more that 500mb each movie. I even have some Monty Python Scenes in Divx that are Crystal clear.

IP:

Vlad
posted March 31, 2002 08:05 PM            
Actually, there's a cracked version of Kazaa out that disables the spyware... it's called Kazaa Lite.

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 31, 2002 08:09 PM            
I did not know that, I downloaded the cracked spyware fake dll's and replace the real dll's. Because if you unistall the spyware the Kazaa quits working.

These dll's just minic the old one but dont allows the spying.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 31, 2002 10:41 PM            
Nice movies and good capture of me I remember doing that too and was amazed I got the frag ,right at the beginning of the movie, at that angle

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 31, 2002 10:50 PM            
Actually thats not what I'm using Kevlar. I'm using my TV Tuner's built in capture device - saves in MPEG3, MPEG2, or AVI formats, multiple compression methods. But the smallest good quality I've gotten was 1.3GBs/2 hours about.

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 31, 2002 11:14 PM            
Yeah SU, I need to go back to that clip and back up a few seconds to get the whole shot. I just happen to "free-look" up at the right time.

I got a game and a half of the US DDM but it will be tomorrow or the next day before I get any of it processed.

Actually RC, as far a game capture goes, my vid card has tv-out and instead of having it write to the harddrive in whatever format, I am sending it to a tv with vcr and I don't experience any extra disk writing while in game play like before. That's the only reason I do that. Seems to work good for me.

But I get about the same compression as you are getting, but I am going to try the Divx codec because everyone on Kazaaa and Morpheus get excellent compression and good quality. But it is a hacked codec and I have one video app that will not write using that codec. Have not tried the others.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted April 01, 2002 03:15 AM            
You guys every download movies off of Usenet?Yeah..I know..thats piracy and taboo but it has nothing to do with games and beats the $8 price of a movie ticket A normal movie is typically the size of a postcard and the picture quality is pretty good.Sound is mono.In most cases it looks like it would if you were to take a camrecorder and record your TV.Anyway,a full movie usually runs from about 200-500 meg.Divx is better quality because it is basically a DVD rip so its much bigger in size.I think for TM movie purposes MPEG-2 or AVI is more than adequate.And if you really want to be a space saver then convert it to RealMedia with RealProducer and sacrifice a little bit of quality but get a huge size reduction.

Kevlar..so you got basically a hour or so of TM footage?How big is all of that may I ask?

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 01, 2002 07:36 AM            
Well, in mpg2 codec, I have a half hour game in about 663MB and I have another that is 728MB. Both uncut.

But I go in a trim down the scenes to get rid of spawning and as much excess as I can. And I have one I will post today that is 88MB mpg and 30MB Real Format.

Real format is fine but it does get fuzzy. I am still going to give the Divx codec a try. I mean, these guy rip entire DVD's down to about 500MB and I did downloaded one, ''Hanable'' that you could tell someone filmed with a camcorder in a movie theater, with Chinese subtitiles too.

But it could'nt hurt to try.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 01, 2002 08:03 AM            
I have my doubts about Kazaa, lite or otherwise - i suggest Direct Connect from www.neo-modus.com

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 01, 2002 08:07 AM            
btw - kevlar, ive put those links on dmf newsthread, if you object plz let me know and i will remove them - i know movies can be bandwidth hoggers.

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 01, 2002 08:42 AM            
No problem, I may move them to a work web server but when I do I will let you know.

BTW, like the new intro page!!! She's nice!!!

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 01, 2002 10:47 AM            
thx

IP:

Paranor
posted April 01, 2002 01:03 PM            
This sounds exactly like what I'm doing!

But my outbound resolution is only 800x600. What is yours? And what do you use to import it from tape - the same vid card? What vid card did you buy?

Good idea on Divx, that will make a big diference in size.

And unfortunately I didn't get the club house sunk into a hole with a nuke shot. I re-did my laptop with XP, forgot about telling the video card to output to the RCA jack. sigh.....

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 01, 2002 01:46 PM            
Mine will only output to 800x600 too. I have the same old Voodoo card I always had at home. Hasn't failed yet, knock wood.

I use my Dazzle to capture from the tape. Which is cool because I can set it to capture by a certain number of minutes. So I can leave and set it to stop capturing in 30 minutes, which usually gets one whole game.

But man there is some work in going back thru and trimming out the good scenes. What I want to do from now on is capture a DDM or even Wed CTF. Then put together a bunch of the coolest scenes all linked together without many transitions so they play fast and set them to music. Maybe try to keep it under 50 or 60mb.

EDIT:
Then after a few months put together a "best of" the coolest scenes.

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

Paranor
posted April 01, 2002 05:15 PM            
Hey - I use a Dazzle also. DVC-80. What do you have? Did we already have this conversation?

And what software are you using to import?

Do you have Orafice XP? There is an add-on for Presentation that imports video at 640x480. Haven't tried that yet though.

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 01, 2002 05:34 PM            
I have the Dazzle Digital Video Creator1 (There's a 2 now).

It comes with Dazzle Built-in Software Importers and Converters you can do all the popular formats within the Dazzle interface. Including Triming and editing converting, etc.

Which amazed me that it also comes with ULead VideoStudio4 which handle scene transitions, titling and such. But the whole thing cost more.

When I get back in about an hour, I will post the two finished movies I made from Saturday. (Not the DDM's) One is 88MB .MPG and the other is 83MB Real format, yes that's right Real Player format. The original movie was about 680MB. It came out great though, lots of cool shots.

Tomorrow I will post the DDM ones, I plan to have those under 50mb.

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 01, 2002 10:38 PM            
One from tonight.

Cruise Missile (1.6MB)

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited April 02, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted April 01, 2002 10:50 PM            
Mine came with MGI Videowave - which is what I used to make the BDAY movie. However, it has a bug or something for text which annoys me. I'm going to play around more with the MS Presentation program.

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 01, 2002 11:26 PM            
I also have MGI video wave, but it hangs while compiling the movies, but I really like the interface.

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

Paranor
posted April 02, 2002 01:42 PM            
I was going to digitize the weapons. Should we split the list up?

I figured it would be easy to do - just use the target practice map. Sure, the tanks don't move but how much more time would be involved doing it otherwise?

IP:

Kevlar
posted April 02, 2002 01:46 PM            
Sure, let me know which one's you want to do.

EDIT:
And how long of a capture per weapon, etc.
Anything in particular in the respect?

------------------
TM-Central.com

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited April 02, 2002).]

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2