|
Author Topic:   Ideas for modded maps to include in the new patch
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 25, 2002 04:37 PM            
Just include a few choices for modded maps you would like to see become offical and included in the next patch if LDA decides to do so.

IP:

wolfman
posted March 25, 2002 06:27 PM            
Off hand the one that immediately comes to mind is "Boomstickville". Also, the Soccer set up would be cool as part of the patch.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 25, 2002 11:19 PM            
Bump...anybody else?

I guess it would have to be stock Boomstickville and not the one with special tanks and weapons.And I'm not sure the killer mail and fire hydrants would be included since those are like modded weapons I guess.Anybody think all of that could be made stock like any other map?Maybe the experienced map makers and modders should keep up with this thread.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 25, 2002 11:28 PM            
Im getting a good list ready for jim so post suggestions here and ill send em all on, already have a good list building.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 26, 2002 04:38 AM            
Why don't you post your list here and we can go over it.A map you think is great might suck in everybody elses eyes Post your list here anyway since theres not much going on in this thread.
Map makers...why don't you post you fav maps or lose the chance to make your maps offical?I'd be jumping all over the idea if I made maps.
I might not have made my self clear enough about Boomstick.Boomstick to me also contains mods.In other words its not a map that is 100% made of stuff you find in the TM directory.I know its a good map but do we want to include things that LDA didn't put in with the game...meshes,models..ect?That was what I was asking.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 26, 2002 08:13 AM            
many such improvements have been suggested over the months, ill scour the board when i have more time and cumulate all the sugestions into this thread.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 26, 2002 08:47 AM            
Super: Instead of us trying to guess if LDA would include a given map for whatever reason, just include all the maps we would like to see, and let LDA make the decision of what is appropriate. If we start guessing that LDA wont use a map becuase it has items not in the entities folder, then the majority of the maps would not be included as they have custom sculptures. Lets just leave that decision up to them. Who knows, we might get lucky.

---

Actually, I retract a little as I really don't think that LDA would add maps to a patch as the maps can be downloaded as easily as the patch itself. What would be great is if LDA would include links to the support sites (TM Maps and TM-Central) in the patch so that all players would know about them. I would rather LDA spend the time adding improvements to the TM engine rather than looking through a list of maps. But if they are willing to look the maps over and add them, then my statement above holds.

Yikes this was long.

Oh yeah, and also list the map author and his contact EMail address in case LDA wants to get a hold of them.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited March 26, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 26, 2002 09:11 AM            
Another possibility would be for LDA to provide an official map pack of the favorite user made maps rather then have it as an official patch. That way LDA can avoid responsibility for any problems with any maps

BTW - I know LDA doesn't have the web space for all the maps now out...as I recall its either 50 or 100MBs here and the maps are easily several hundred MBs so if they do make such a map pack, it will be very limited in size. What might work better is if they do a link to a list of map packs on a user made site that is constantly updated...

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited March 26, 2002).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 26, 2002 04:53 PM            
Maps are availible now of course so availibilty is not the problem.There is just a lot of them and they are all over the place.You don't know what maps the server is hosting until you get there then you have to go spend time downloading and installing them.If LDA were to make some modded maps stock in a patch people would be forced to upgrade if that wanted to play on servers and therefore would be downloading and installing the best maps that we pick.There are plenty of good maps out there that would fit in nicley with the stock maps we already have.Plus there are only a few CTF stock maps and there are so many user made CTF maps that should also be made offical.
And if we just made one big master map file that would be a big mess not to mention a big download.I don't really want to see 300 maps sitting in my TM menu or have a server that cycles through all 300 maps,150 of which that I don't like.There are the classic DM maps that people like to see and if there are 300 maps in circualtion then I might only get to play on The Ramp once a year
I was just thinking select maybe 10 of the best modded maps out there and have LDa inlude them and make it offical.Also a reward for those that work on making the maps.Adding more CTF maps would be the biggest advantage.Maybe we should just be asking LDA to add CTF maps?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 26, 2002 05:04 PM            
Idea:

LDA makes a system whereby if you put maps in a directory called, say, servermaps, then they don't show up in your map list, but if a server is using it TM will still be able to load it?

And I agree SU, its the CTF maps that we need more of mostly, and there are plenty of them out. I'll submit my CTF Volcanic Isle, CTF Acid Moat, and CTF Pyramids for consideration. I don't think the rest of mine are good enough - and I would like to see at least one of the Acid/Lava/Poison series of CTF maps since that is a concept not seen much within TM.

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited March 26, 2002).]

IP: