This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Newbie Question (help!)
Chimaera
posted March 25, 2002 01:59 PM         
Alright guys. I'd like some help here please. This is one of my favorite games, and it makes me mad that I can't play it. Here's the problem:

Ok, game runs fine and all, but about 10-15 minutes into any game (single or multiplayer) the game shuts itself down and sends me to the desktop, where I have to change my resolution back to 1024x768 from the playing resolution. I'd love to fix this problem, so I can get back to playing. I have the original original version of the game, which i updated using the patch to version 1.16.

Here are some system specs for me:

Athlon Thunderbird 1.4ghz
Windows 98 First Edition
Matrox G400 Millenium Max Dualhead (latest drivers)
No sound at the moment, but Soundblaster Audigy soon
3Com Etherlink 10/100 Network Card
Microsoft Intellieye Optical USB mouse

PLEASE HELP!

IP:

coax LWA
posted March 25, 2002 02:02 PM            
Same thing happened to me too all day yesterday. Thought, I was running to many programs in the background though. Guess not.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 25, 2002 02:50 PM            
What version of DirectX do you have running? I guess you've also checked for the latest OpenGL drivers for your video card as well? What other programs do you have running?

I guess you meant that you patched it up to version 1.6?

Sometimes TM will dump on me as well but I haven't figured out which program that I ran that's giving me the headaches...

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited March 25, 2002).]

IP:

Chimaera
posted March 25, 2002 03:04 PM         
Hey, sorry about the errors. I am running DirectX 8.11, and yes, i patched to TM ver. 1.6. I've tried running TM without Norton Antivirus 2k1 auto-protect, and that didn't help. The only other programs i have running are my mouse and printer software (managers), a diagnostic/motherboard information program, and PopUp Killer.

I turned off PopUp Killer the last time i tried to play, and it froze my computer instead of booting me out.

Does this give you any ideas?

IP:

synack
posted March 25, 2002 03:38 PM         
This probably isn't the problem, but make sure you've turned off your screensaver. It's a pain when that kicks in during gameplay.

IP:

Chimaera
posted March 25, 2002 03:54 PM         
I don't use a screensaver at all, so that isn't it. You think maybe TM does't like my (older) Matrox video card? I know TM won't run under ATI Rage128 based cards at all, because i used to have one.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 25, 2002 03:54 PM            
Welcome to TreadMarks

IP:

peeeto
posted March 25, 2002 04:03 PM         
sounds like you're running in full-screen mode... have you tried running it in Windowed mode?

( i know, i know - fullscreen is faster, but i've had problems with it in the past)

IP:

-=-Slayer-=-
posted March 25, 2002 04:06 PM            
It might be that you do have to many things running in the backgroung try one of these programs END IT ALL or END IT ALL 2 here are links that give you discripions of them with a link to them.

End It All is a good program it gets rit of all the main programs that are running and will allow you to protect some that are running when you use it. ex. your ISP
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3341816,00.html

End It All 2 dose all of the above plus more. Warning If you close something you should not have it can crash your system not perminantly it just requres a restart for it to load agin. ex kernel32.dll
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/0,24330,3359077,00.html
I use end it all 2

------------------

[This message has been edited by -=-Slayer-=- (edited March 25, 2002).]

IP:

Hammer
posted March 25, 2002 04:20 PM            
Hi,
Good to hear that your interested in TM enough to overcome the technical problems!
Here's one suggestion try changing the game's resolution to match your desktop resolution of 1024x768. Or before you start the game change your desktop resolution of 1024x768 to 480x600 or 600x800 to match the game resolution.
To get there, you start the game, go to "Game Options" then to "Graphics" I believe you can change the resolution of the game there.
Otherwise right click your mouse on a clear area of your desktop, scroll to "properties" then go to "settings" and you can change your desktop resolution there.
I don't know if this will help but I would make sure that the desktop and game were running on the same resolution to start.
Good Luck!
I Hope to be Fragging your Butt Soon!

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited March 25, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted March 25, 2002 04:20 PM            
Ouch - Windows 98 *First* Edition? As a network analyst/PC break fix guy I cringe in fear!

And no sound? That's like 50% of the fun.

I guess I would try running in Windows mode.

And if you have a big Addons folder, rename it. Too much stuff will crash the game.

Hope to see you online.

------------------
Is that a nuke in your pants or are you just happy to see someone actually playing?
BWL-Paranor, BWL-Tiger, DNX-Tiggs and D.O.G.-Aragon.
Family. Redefined.
DDM Pics, Movies and Server Packs here

IP:

Chimaera
posted March 25, 2002 04:58 PM         
Heh, you guys already raggin' me about Win98 FE...oh well. I'll change someday.

I've tried matching desktop and game resolutions both ways...to no avail.
I don't have anything at all in the Addons folder (and yes, i do remember having too much stuff in there kills your game) because i just reinstalled TM.
I've used Enditall to kill all the unnecessary programs.
I've even run it in windowed mode (and hey, it even ran a little longer than normal), but it eventually crashed. I did get this windows error this time though:

TM caused an invalid page fault in
module TM.EXE at 019f:004415bd.
Registers:
EAX=00000188 CS=019f EIP=004415bd EFLGS=00010212
EBX=00000180 SS=01a7 ESP=009ad9dc EBP=00000448
ECX=0068a4c8 DS=01a7 ESI=0068a4c8 FS=18cf
EDX=40008600 ES=01a7 EDI=40008600 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 47 0c 85 c0 0f 84 4c 02 00 00 8b 47 10 85 c0
Stack dump:
00698540 0068a4c8 00000448 00000180 448a0000 422f0000 004417be 40008600 00000448 00000188 00000450 00000180 00000448 00000180 00000001 42300000

Also, I've been in TM since it came out. I used to play a whole lot then, when i had my ATI Xpert 2000 (which i had to run in software mode because it wouldn't under hardware). Speaking of which, what happened to the 'software mode' button in version 1.6? The old game used to have one...

p.s. - Thanks for the welcome to TM community, and yes, i know it's much better with sound (my sound card fried itself a month ago, and it took awhile to scrape together the cash for a new one)

I hope to be playing you gentleman soon. Feel free to take it (slightly?) easy on me at first, but i learn fast.

IP:

A2597
posted March 25, 2002 05:49 PM            
Some advice...Get RID of Win98 FE
I used it for about two years. froze 6-9 times a day, etc.

Got a net PC, with win XP. smoooth as silk. no problems at ALL.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

Chimaera
posted March 25, 2002 08:11 PM         
Hmmm...well that's certainly not an easy fix...

I suppose the reason I brought all this up in the first place is that I USED to be able to play (yes, even with Win98FE, which can run just fine if it's kept well-groomed). I mean, wasn't TM pretty much developed for Win98 anyway? I think that's all that was available to consumers when it was released... Besides, Win98 gives me NO problems whatsoever in running anything EXCEPT Treadmarks.
This is what bothers me.

[This message has been edited by Chimaera (edited March 25, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chimaera (edited March 25, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted March 25, 2002 10:13 PM            
This almost sounds like the problem Matrix had. Cant remember.

Matrix, sound close to what you had?

------------------
"I see fragged people...they're everywhere...they walk around like everyone else...they don't even know that they're fragged."
DNX-Tiggs, D.O.G - Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 25, 2002 11:40 PM            
yes very simlar, heres what i suggest.

1 - look for updated graphics card drivers

2- check your motherboard and bios version - look for updates www.motherboards.org

3- check the heat of your pc and that the fan is keeping things cool and spinning fast enough.

4- upgrade to Win98SE or later (avoid WinME like the plague)

5- when playing as stated keep the desktop to the same res and bit-depth as the game

6- goto your windows directory and run the direct x diagnostic tool

7- try going to your contro panel and click on SYSTEM, click device manager, dont change anything but look for red X or conflicts in the hardware list, sometimes a soundcard driver can cause problems.

8- when running the game close any background programs u dont need, they take up processor use, GDI and ram. This includes like icq, email etc.

9- if you have a firewall add the master server IP and the tm and treadmarks.exe to the ruleset allowing tcp/udp packets in both directions.

hope that helps

IP:

Rex R
posted March 26, 2002 02:32 AM            
did this problem start occuring about the same time the sound card went bad?

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted March 26, 2002 04:07 AM            
Chimaera,
You say you have A microsoft USB mouse is it one of the grey ones, I have been told by my IT dept. that some of the early versions had a bug in the software causing them to spew out random data (I must admit that my one seems ok).

Robo

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 26, 2002 08:10 AM            
there are known problems with certain usb appliances and win98, but I dont think this is the cause; however for the sake of saying you tried ... take it out and use a ps2 mouse for a few hours see if it improves, if not thats one more cause eliminated

IP:

Chimaera
posted March 26, 2002 06:46 PM         
Ok...update. I don't have a Microsoft Explorer mouse (the grey one) -- i have the white one. I haven't tried using a ps2 mouse yet, but i can do that. And no, the problem was unfortunately just as present before my sound card went south on me.

Ok, so i'm sitting around not playing TM...when i decide (just for kicks) to run opengl setup again. Well, the game runs fine now for about 3 single DM games. Then it freezes again like it did. Now i start a new game and it's back to freezing withing 5 mins of starting the first game. Is TM learning how to pick at me? I'm beginning to wonder...

ANYWAY guys, thanks alot for all your help so far. I know that no other game community would go to this much trouble. I really appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Chimaera (edited March 26, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted March 26, 2002 07:58 PM            
Have you tried LDA tech support?

------------------
"I see fragged people...they're everywhere...they walk around like everyone else...they don't even know that they're fragged."
DNX-Tiggs, D.O.G - Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

Chimaera
posted March 26, 2002 09:39 PM         
Ok, you're gonna laugh at this one...
This is the email i got back from LDA Tech Support:

I just got back from a week at the GDC and will be swamped for the next while. If you post the contents of this email on the Tread Marks forum, which you can get to from any page on our site, you will find the regular gang there very helpful.

Regards,

Jim

I think i read in English class that this was something called 'irony'. What you think?

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted March 26, 2002 09:55 PM            
Chimeara! damn good band!

IP:

guido 1
posted March 26, 2002 10:56 PM         
how much memory ??? how old is the hd . any bad sectors ?? maybe hd is working to hard on file swapping , depends on how much memory you have . cant remember does win98 have power saving features ? like system hibernation , shutdown hd monitor etc. ??? on xp i have all that set to never . is your registry in good shape ???. after i uninstall a program i use regcleaner to make sure all traces are gone from the registry ... best to get rid of all the leftover junk that is not removed allway's by uninstalling programs its a great freebie . heres the link www.jv16.org . hope it helps .

------------------
If you can't run with the big [D.O.G.]'S .... stay on the porch hehe ... Guido the mercy killer .... FRAG ON .....

IP:

Chimaera
posted March 27, 2002 02:18 AM         
Guido:

The hd that is running the game is *sort* of old, but i've never had problems running QIII or UT off of it before. There aren't any bad sectors on it either. I don't really know how to tell if the hd is working too hard...but it's not making any weird noises or running too hot. I have 512mb of ram, and all the power saving features are turned off (except for hd off after 1 hour of non-use). My registry was just cleaned out last week--by Norton, so i think that should be fine.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2