|
Author Topic:   server question
kv
posted March 22, 2002 11:10 PM            
I have a dell P3 550 that usually sits and does nothing all day. I'm on a cable connection that has a speed of 349 kbps up. Is this enough to support a server?

I plan to run a.. "different" server. Deathmatch only on some of what seem to be the most hated maps in the community. Yes, mostly ice maps and "the moon". I personally love ice maps. There is nothing more fun than spinning in circles around your opponent while trading 120 mm shots.

IP:

Rex R
posted March 23, 2002 03:00 AM            
IIRC you should be ok if you limit the number of players to 6(think someone said to figure 56k per player). but I LOVE the moon maps...ok so I like looonnngg range battles. wouldn't add the mirvs of steel though IMO

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 23, 2002 04:02 AM            
I have a P3 750 and DSL 256 up but I don't quite get there most of the time and it runs fine.I haven't gotten any more than 4 on my server I think though.I guess you should consider that everyone might be trying to get 5K down I guess or less.I think everybody should drop their netrate to 4 or 5.I don't really notice that much of a difference when I set it to 10.

IP:

kv
posted March 23, 2002 09:20 AM            
ok. will have to get that set up then.

and I guess I need the tank and flag packs so it dosen't crash when someone tries to use a non-stock item.

I doubt that I will add any custom weapons.. well, maybe some SSO. And I will have to see what my firewall thinks about all this.

IP:

Paranor
posted March 23, 2002 02:47 PM            
This reminds me that I really should finish that server tutorial.

Be sure to set the NETRATE on your server to 3K. This overrides the settings on the players side.

Your PC should handle 6 just fine. Hammer might be able to comment more since he's running on cable also and we've had 8-10 on his?

I run my servers on a T-1 which is 1.544 and it can handle 20 players max.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 23, 2002 04:54 PM            
Where is that option found Par?DedicatedFPS?

IP:

Hammer
posted March 23, 2002 06:02 PM            
Here is a link to WM's site about the server set ups. I read it before I started and found a lot of good info here. It also gives you the setting you would want for any particular game. Also good suggestions on what you can and can not change.
I have found that I can handle maybe 10 players after that anything can happen. On a good night I can handle maybe 12 and on a bad night maybe just 8. Set the netrate at 3000 or 4000 in the dedicated config file. And as been said be careful of what weapons you put in there they can overwhelm the system.
WM's Server Info

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited March 23, 2002).]

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted March 23, 2002 06:42 PM            
KV does you cable supplier give you a Satic IP number. I know that some in the UK do a pool of numbers which is rotate every 4 hours which is not good for running servers.
Robo

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

kv
posted March 23, 2002 07:21 PM            
It's mostly static, I've had the same ip numbers for over a month now. Easy enough to restart the server program when it does change.

Server info is now up, even though the server isn't. http://home.woh.rr.com/kvorlon/server.htm

Server itself might be up by tomorrow, have to test it with the firewall first (using BlackIce, so it isn't as easy as "open this port, allow this exe access".

IP:

kv
posted March 23, 2002 08:41 PM            
UPDATE: just did a test run with coaxs, kong, and a few others. Total of 5 connected, server remained stable and pings averaged 250.

Final setting are being completed now.

IP: