|
Author Topic:   So long, and thanks for all the fish
Cell 2
posted March 03, 2002 10:42 AM         
I've been receiving disturbing and increasingly bizzare anonymous emails from someone associated with the TM community in the last few weeks. Apparently they are deeply offended by something I've said or posted here,(I have no clue what!) so in response, I've decided to delete any postings I've made that may be even remotely construed as offensive and drop playing online. Sorry for any confusion this may cause in some threads, but my hope is whoever it may be, will direct their efforts toward more constructive pursuits in the future.
It was fun while it lasted, and thanks to the rest of you, but I don't need the aggravation.

Thanks and goodbye,
Cell

IP:

guido 1
posted March 03, 2002 10:53 AM         
why do you think it's someone from TM ??? won't the emails keep coming unless you change your email ??? that's why i'm reluctant to allow emails to me on the BB . take some time off to reconsider .

------------------
If you can't run with the big [D.O.G.]'S .... stay on the porch hehe ... Guido the mercy killer .... FRAG ON .....

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 03, 2002 11:41 AM            
Cellm8 * hehe - geddit, cellmate - n/m :| *

Two words for ya - BLOCK SENDER

Tip: if you are using outlook or Outlook Express, click on the email the right click and goto properties.... in there is logged the senders IP address... I suggest yousend it to coax who can view IP's in posts in this board and validate who is the purp.

Kongs had probs recently and ive had a few spats - but its not worth ditching the community duder - water off a ducks back so to speak !

Youre a well liked and respected member of the TM community and I recon whoever is sending the abuse mail is the one who needs to leave as they dont have the right attitude to be here anymore - stand up for your rights man - Im sure I speak for everyone, were all friends here, and were behind u 100% !

IP:

King John 1st
posted March 03, 2002 11:46 AM            
Block them or ditch the email address for a new one, either way, I wouldn't let some idiot stop a great player playing a great game. Good Luck Cell.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 03, 2002 01:54 PM            
I'm sorry to read of this....

There is useless spam and viruses that seem to be picking up valid email addresses to list as sender.... I get them from some of our own LDA email addresses.

...BUT.... If the messages are truely specific and especially if they are threatening, then there really is nothing that can't be traced back to the source....

Jim

IP:

Paranor
posted March 03, 2002 01:57 PM            
I had an spam ICQ post saying "[BWL] Paranor".

And put a block in - don't quit man.

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited March 03, 2002).]

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted March 03, 2002 02:25 PM            
Cell man, I think there is someone with a few tricks of obnoxiousness up their sleeves as Kong posted a similar message on his forum. I reckon it will be routed shortly unless it's someone who isn't actually part of the community and trying to break it up for some reason.

Coax...keep in mind there were a few people coming in from other games to continue a war with Matrix and I'm not pointing any fingers to them but it was just something to think about..it might not be someone necessarily here, or at least I hope not!
http://boards.gamers.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=TMK&id=zzzwk

PS there is some mildly explicit content in this thread, verbally.

------------------
Feck It... Light Speed

[This message has been edited by -DNX-Ni (edited March 03, 2002).]

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 03, 2002 02:35 PM            
I use a program called ''Spam Punisher'' that extracts the valid ip's from the email headers. But the most it has ever done is retrieve the mail server ip that the spammer is relaying thru.

It has a button to send an immediate abuse response and it usually stops the email from that particular address, but regular spam comes in faster than you can keep up.

IP:

synack
posted March 03, 2002 05:56 PM         
Cell, I'd hate to see you leave.

Think. What would Zaphod do?

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted March 03, 2002 06:56 PM            
a bogus guy sending you email?

you leave then i guess thats what the TM comunity ment to you ....in all seriousenes dude it dont seem much

a derogitory but truthfull outook i think man
dont leave cos of some butt munch

------------------
Grind n' Click , Lock n' Load

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 03, 2002 08:11 PM            
Yup - like Jim said.... spam is nothing new.. and i get abuse all the time from the bz bunch, doesnt stop me supporting the game or talking to the folks.

1 - get the IP in the mail headder
2 - load it into a trace program
3 - do a DNS and get the WHOIS data
4 - note the time/date of sending
5 - goto their provider and send in the report, trust me its more hastle to them than it is to you !

The exception in my case is its the ISP thats doing the abusing lol ! and australia has bugger all laws against it - go figure !

IP:

peeeto
posted March 03, 2002 11:44 PM         
peeeto's sad to see you go !

i really wish you didn't feel this way... so sad that someone is out there cruelly F-ing with people!

i really enjoyed playing you online (and i'm proud that you're my first BWL recruit ) and we will miss you... keep in touch, ok?

take care, Cell

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 04, 2002 01:33 AM            
Don't go cell

The community has already lost so many of the early players as is. Don't let one jerk stop you from playing, maybe just take a TM holiday for a couple of months and come back then when the abuse stops

IP:

MexIndian
posted March 04, 2002 09:00 AM            
why punish us for one jerk's behavior? Specially if there's a wolf in this pack, at least tell us who the f**r is... I want to know that it's not someone I speak to on a regular basis.

but....if you're scared of the MIGHTY MEXINDIAN, then that's ok you can leave.....
cya soon.

------------------
Quarter-Mexican, Quarter-Indian, Quarter- fragging extravaganza,
Quarter- engineer, Quarter- aspiring artist,Quarter-s and dimes, and a quarter.... how many quarters do I have so far? Ok then, fragged and quartered!
:) <- This is a smiley.

>-TEAM MEXEEETO-<

IP:

Hammer
posted March 04, 2002 10:20 AM            
This is really bugging me. I know that Cell had sent me an e-mail regarding my fishing site and I replied. But that was the extent of our communications.
He lives very close to the area that I live in and thought some day when the fishing seasons was in full swing we could get together to frag some bass.
Now I am afraid with the subject line of this post that he may think I had something to do with his current woes. This is not the case and I really find it hard to believe it is anyone from our group. I have e-mailed him about this and decided to also post my thoughts here.
We are too small a group to allow this type of stuff to aggrevate players from having a care free gaming envirorment.
I play as much as I can and have hosted many games. I haven't had problems with any of it.
Cell I just have to know what you mean by the subject line.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"
As I told you in the e-mail this is not the only board I post to and I also don't need anyone bothering the people I communicate with.
Sorry for your troubles. I hope they don't continue for you or us on this board.
Hammer

IP:

Karldar
posted March 04, 2002 10:28 AM            
Well, I hope you reconsider, Cell. Ultimately, however, you have to do what you feel YOU need to do, not what we WANT you to do. Obviously, we'll be here if/when you decide to come back. Take care...

P.S. Hammer, I think he was just trying to lighten the situation with a nice Douglas Adams title(one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books), but only he knows for sure.

IP:

Hammer
posted March 04, 2002 12:55 PM            
That makes me feel better, the last thing I want is to have someone believe I am messing with them.
Thanks Karldar I am unfamiliar with those books although I do have my towel.

Still sad to see or hear of anyone having troubles here.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 05, 2002 04:42 PM            
Well Cell..you've been here a long time and I would hate to see you leave.I've been seeing you participating in some of the Sunday DDM's.Some people just get off trying to piss people off.I would do what other people have said and trace the email back to the source and complain the the ISP.They won't tell you the identity of the flamer but they will do there own kind of justice.Of course if they used Yahoo or Hotmail you are SOL.Please try to reconsider.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 05, 2002 04:53 PM            
Know the tragic part of all this ? - some GIT somewhere is having a right good laughing session over this.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted March 07, 2002 07:46 PM            
Cell, please don't let some meanie out there do this to you. If worse comes to worse you could just change your name. Tis better than just leaving

IP: