This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4  |
Author Topic:   New Idea *OR* Let's Start an Argument :)
Paranor
posted February 28, 2002 01:06 PM            
While I was fragging Aragon the other day I had time to let my mind wonder (oooohhhh talking tough ) and thought of these things.

Plus, I haven't yet typed anything really, really long and have had too much coffee today on 4 hours of sleep.

First, STORM is a great game yet nobody seems to play it online. I had a server running but never had it used.

Second, the DDM ranking is, I think, fun and adds to the excitement of winning a DDM game. However, it takes a long time to get on it for most of us. NEO & TURDHEART being the exception. It took me a year just to get into 5th. Super has been playing for 2 years(?). Skan hasn't played in 6+ months and he still is in the top 7 or whatever. OY!

Sooooooooooooooooo how about we break down the weekly DDM games & DDM ranking into this format:

1) once per month we have a ranked DDM game totally stock. Setup a schedule for the entire year so that everyone can better prepare for it - i.e. clear it with the wife:

YOU: Honey, I have to play every x weeks for the DDM rank so I can be WORLD CHAMPION.

WIFE/GF: Ok, that does sound important. I'll just watch Oxygen, WE or LIFETIME or someother bandwidth wasting channel.

YOU: And I also need to practice so I can become WORLD CHAMPION. At least 3 days a week.

WIFE/GF: Yes, I suppose. After all, professional atheletes do it and you are a professional TM player.

YOU: Yepper.

2) once per month have a STORM DDM and then next month STORM RACE and then STORM DDM, etc. Not ranked though.

3) once per month have a modded DDM - one month it's new maps, next month weapon packs. Again, not ranked though.

4) once per month have a regular DDM - no modded, no ranking, no STORM, etc.

Then after six months of the ranked DDM we note who the top 5 players are and start over on the rank. Then the after that six months (now we are into DECEMBER) we note who the top 5 players are for that one.

We have two DDM ranks - EURO & REGULAR/DECAF or whatever it's called.

So at the end of December, during XMAS week time period when everyone nearly everyone has time available, we have a WORLD CHAMPION BATTLE. MUHAHAHAH. SOUND THE TRUMPETS.

It would be the top 5 players from the first six months from both DDM laddes (EURO AND REGULAR) and the top 5 players from the last six months (EURO, etc.). For up to 20 players.

Yes, you might be in the top 5 for the first & second chunks then:
a) we do the sixth player
b) have less people in the WORLD CHAMPION BATTLE. MUHAHAHAH. SOUND THE TRUMPETS.

The WORLD CHAMPION BATTLE, MUHAHAHAH, SOUND THE TRUMPETS game would be on top of the what seems to be yearly CLAN BATTLE, MUHAHAHA, SOUND THE DRUMS game.

whew - that was long. *cracks knuckles to loosen them up*

Thoughts? Suggestions? Bomb threats?

IP:

Kevlar
posted February 28, 2002 01:13 PM            
LOL on the wife humor...
It sounds so crazy it just might work.

IP:

Paranor
posted February 28, 2002 01:20 PM            
This may or may not be what you are trying to do, Matrix.

I'm just going from the point of we have DDM's regularly scheduled and just to keep things from getting boring.

See, looking out for you NI. We care. Sniff. Sniff.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 28, 2002 01:34 PM            
Let me check my crystal ball...................sounds good to me.

------------------
LOOK MA.....NO FRAGS
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 28, 2002 01:40 PM            
Someone make a schedule, should we start first week in March that would be this Thursday. Since this is a change in format. I would suggest we start counting the 6 months either This Sunday, the first week in March,and not the beginning of the new year. Since its ladder related, I suppose I'll host the ladder. I'll even update my current ladder tomorrow, I have a p-chem midterm midterm this friday and should be updated friday night(like I have anything better to do on a Friday night )

------------------
Tread Marks' Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 28, 2002 01:52 PM            
Well how about the rank DDM is the first Sunday of every month. Takes the guess work on setting dates. Ya think?

------------------
LOOK MA.....NO FRAGS
Family. Redefined.

IP:

MexIndian
posted February 28, 2002 03:47 PM            
Yeah, if it's not every sunday, then I can come in to work and play (PIII 600 M on a modem at home, PIV 1.4 G on DSL at work.... hmmmmm.......). So count me in.

But let's not jump the gun!

*Gritting his teeth, the Mighty MexIndian pulls in the reigns on the TM community as a whole.

Before you schedule a time/date, let's everyone do Par's time-schedule thing so we can truly find out what the best times/dates are.

OK.

*lets his bleeding hands release the reigns, and watches with a tear streaming down his cheek at the monster that has ammassed and.... no.... could it be? ... yes... apparently the masses are following a ... well, there appears to be a fellow with an umbrella-hat at the head of the riot.

cheers on the wife joke.

------------------
Quarter-Mexican, Quarter-Indian, Quarter- fragging extravaganza,
Quarter- engineer, Quarter- aspiring artist,Quarter-s and dimes, and a quarter.... how many quarters do I have so far? Ok then, fragged and quartered!
:) <- This is a smiley.

>-TEAM MEXEEETO-<

IP:

Irascible
posted February 28, 2002 03:57 PM            
Sounds excellent - ESPECIALLY because I don't have to do any of the work to set it up!!!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 28, 2002 04:01 PM            
I've been playing for two years and have never been in the number 1 spot
How about we just start fresh...throw away the rankings we have now and start all over this Sunday.That will get rid of the people that are still ranked and don't play.I'm kinda uneasy about it since I have been working hard and showing up to all DDM's to make it to the numer 1 spot and don't like the idea of throwing it out when I'm getting close.But thats just me I'd rather keep it a tally of all DDM's and not just on a weekly or monthly basis.But I guess I'm willing to throw away what I have gotten so far and start over fresh.

I brought up the idea before of a Battle Royale with just the top players but it never got off the ground.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 28, 2002 05:32 PM            
thats a little extreme Super. The overall DDM ladder can stay the same, and a bi-annual DDM leader can still be done. And knowing me all on the same page too...

Going to have to make it look fancier eventually now.

------------------
Tread Marks' Ladders

IP:

The Challenge Maker
posted February 28, 2002 06:02 PM         
Counter points- Your WORLD CHAMPION BATTLE. MUHAHAHAH. SOUND THE TRUMPETS idea; isn't it a given the top 5 from the first 6 months will be pretty much the same as the top 5 from the second 6 months? If you look at the DDM rankings, it's pretty much Supe, Ras, you (Paranor), Neo, Turdheart, etc.

Granted, it gives us an extra incentive to be better, but it reads like the WORLD CHAMPION BATTLE. MUHAHAHAH. SOUND THE TRUMPETS tourney would exclude several TM players and be the same ol' same ol'.

Otherwise, excellent ideas!

------------------
This is Aragon. The BBS defaulted to Challenge Maker.

[This message has been edited by The Challenge Maker (edited February 28, 2002).]

IP:

Paranor
posted February 28, 2002 06:13 PM            
That issue has crossed my mind.

Not sure if it being almost 12 months long makes a difference. New players coming. Improvement. hmmm...

------------------
Is that a nuke in your pants or are you just happy to see someone actually playing?
BWL-Paranor, BWL-Tiger, DNX-Tiggs and LWA-Aragon.
Family. Redefined.
DDM Pics, Movies and Server Packs here

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 28, 2002 10:13 PM            
I know that I finnaly got my name on the ranks, I would hate to see it go bye bye. Not yet anyway.

------------------
LOOK MA.....NO FRAGS
Family. Redefined.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 28, 2002 10:52 PM            
Paranor, youre on the right lines yes - send me the player availability info so far and ill draw up a weekly grid, based on that grid ill setup weekly DDM's / races whatever. One ranked DDM per month is good.

The reason Super has never been number 1 is the scoring system - i pointed out this flaw long ago and was told to stop whining so i did. If youre willing to give my system a good few months I think you will see the benefits.

Heres the overall plan: (which is 2 month rotational providing 6 tournies per year - 3 ddm's per month with 1 ranking on leaderboard, races, mods and an annual awards ceremony like the tm oscars - points is what drives the matches so the struggle to be the best becomes whoever turns up to play - this in turn helps clan leaders to motivate their members).

Month 1 - Week 1 - Regular stock DDM
Month 1 - Week 2 - Storm Racer Races
Month 1 - Week 3 - Mod of choice by vote
Month 1 - Week 4 - Stock Ranked DDM

Month 2 - Week 1 - Map Pack DDM
Month 2 - Week 2 - Storm racer DDM
Month 2 - Week 3 - Ranked Stock DDM
Month 2 - Week 4 - DMF Tournament.

All scores will enter an average table based on clan performance which will show progression month by month and reveal the top clan of each year at the end of 12 months play - in addition this 12 month TOP CLAN will be accompanied by an awareds ceremony for Best Map, Highest Frags in 1 game, Best site, Most hits, Best Mod etc...

Times and such will be determined by paranors rather excellent tool. As you can see i have it all planned - but since i didnt want to rock the boat new in here i went with the flow - the system is now showing its flaws.

So what ya think - will ya give my system a go ?

DDM/Races = TM Score Type
Tournament= DMF Points system of total kills minus total deaths to produce a plus or minus score per player and per clan to provide in effect a Leaderboard - the more players show the better the clan does and the better the performance progressively.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited March 01, 2002).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 01, 2002 03:52 AM            
Well racing has never been big since I've been playing.Its been tried before and is a big mess when you get 10 or more racing at once.Especially when people are connecting in the middle of the race.Then mods are ok for maybe one Sunday but people usually want to get back to DDM the next one...So at least 2/3's of what we do in a motnh should ne DDM...at least thats what I gather.We went through a big debate about this one time about a year ago but I'm too lazy to dig it up right now I don't care how the ranking system goes and what counts and what dosen't,but I guess the schedule should look something like this:
Month1:
Stock DDM
Stock DDM
CTF or Mod
Stock DDM
Month2:
Stock DDM
Ctf or mod
Stock DDM
Stock DDM
Month3:
CTF or Mod
Stock DDM
Stock DDM
CTF or Mods

See,2 DDM's followed by a CTF or Modded tourney.
Of cource they are interchangible.Just as long as DDM is what is done the most.I'm just assuming DDM is what people want the most by reading the board and playing for 2 years.

IP:

Vlad
posted March 01, 2002 12:19 PM            
You know what I'd love to see come back again..

The Modded Map&Tank server. There were still the nice stock weapons that everybody knew and loved, but the new tanks and maps made things seem different enough to make it interesting.

Last time that server was really around was before there were a whole lot of maps for TM available, and now there's a TON. While we couldn't use every map available, a sort of "best of" thing would be nice, mainly to keep the download small for the 56kers.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 01, 2002 12:53 PM            
This one needs finalising. Im quite carefree on the arrangement of the matches as long as once a month theres a clan & player ranking games and bi monthly tournament

So ppl - what'll it be

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted March 01, 2002 04:32 PM            
The most fun I had playing a mod DDM was when that "shockwave" (if that name is correct) was on there. That was a mod that you loved and hated. But it was fun.

------------------
LOOK MA.....NO FRAGS
Family. Redefined.

IP:

wolfman
posted March 01, 2002 06:16 PM            
I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes by putting up a server that is basically all stock - but most of the weapons have been tweaked as have a lot of the tanks. The grenade launcher shoots more like the MK 19 -couple of hundred out in distance with 40 ammo and quick fire. If I have done something that is considered a no no please let me know. Thanks. JT

IP:

guido 1
posted March 01, 2002 06:40 PM         
one weapon i could never understand was the pogo .

------------------
If you can't run with the big [D.O.G.]'S .... stay on the porch hehe ... Guido the mercy killer .... FRAG ON .....

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 01, 2002 08:35 PM            
Aww comeon - pogo was fun

IP:

Rex R
posted March 02, 2002 02:04 AM            
pogo was/is a defensive mod. purpose was to get you out of harms way.

IP:

guido 1
posted March 02, 2002 09:35 AM         
i still didn't care for it.... like shootin yourself with a mass round . it never got me very far , just very high and out of control . now if it was a force field that allowed mobility that would be a great defensive weapon .

------------------
If you can't run with the big [D.O.G.]'S .... stay on the porch hehe ... Guido the mercy killer .... FRAG ON .....

IP:

Paranor
posted March 03, 2002 02:02 PM            
Do it on a hill and you can go flippity-flip.

Flippity-flip - did I invent a new word?

WORD!

------------------
Is that a nuke in your pants or are you just happy to see someone actually playing?
BWL-Paranor, BWL-Tiger, DNX-Tiggs and D.O.G.-Aragon.
Family. Redefined.
DDM Pics, Movies and Server Packs here

IP:

Paranor
posted March 03, 2002 02:09 PM            
Super, my impression is that there is too many stock DDM's and they are getting boring. I think once every other week is pretty good. THOUGHTS EVERYONE?

We'll then use TM-CENTRAL to host the files needed to download.

But one of my concerns are these tourney's need to be consistent time and hopefully near the same time as the DDM. Since that is when most people have their schedules cleared.

Matrix, you are good at organizing this type of stuff and already have a cool web site. Whip somefin up on your DMF site and let's review notes before going live?

Modders - we already have some great "packs" together, can you guys come up with some more? We have Kasplatt, Vlad and I think something else.

Mappers - I'll just pull maps from the MAP MASTER site - have you gone through them all and fixed the one's that have the directories missing?

Sound groovy everyone? Oh wait, we'll start this and *then* people will put their bitching, I mean comments in.

IP:

This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4