This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4  |
Author Topic:   Just had a brainstorm..tell me what you think
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 26, 2002 03:41 PM            
Ok,something just hit me while reading the BB and it sounds like a good idea.My idea is to get everyone in the community involved in making one grand mod pack.Let each person make a weapon or two and submit it to be added to the pack.Maybe have a few work on good maps,some might want to make new tanks.The point is that everybody will be able to participate and submit something to the project.Maybe a hardcore modder can be the head of the project and run Entigrity and organize everything since I don't know that much about modding.If you are like me and don't know much about modding you could modify one of the stock weapons..its really easy.Maybe it will ignite a spark if everybody is involved in a project.Good idea or bad?

IP:

Zulu One
posted February 26, 2002 04:04 PM         
Gets my thumbs-up! Modding is so EASY: I've not been playing for that long, but I've already modded the mass driver to be rapid fire like the railgun out of 'Eraser'. It makes a rather nice sounding (especially with Doppler on) siren noise as well.

------------------
--
The best is the enemy of the good.

IP:

Kevlar
posted February 26, 2002 04:26 PM            
Very good idea!!!
But even if every player participated, and made a weapon, map, tank, etc, I still think you would have trouble getting any feedback.

Ok I am thru being a sm@rt@$$!

Seriously, good idea, it might actually give me a reason to get motivated and get thru with the couple tanks I never finished. As long as you make the dealine sometime next Christmas.

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 26, 2002 04:32 PM            
I was thinking more like May for the beginning of Summer And I was thinking that each person could put their name after the mod name,like "Sheep Brigade(SuperUnknown)"...that way everybody knows who did what and can offer feedback.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited February 26, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 26, 2002 08:09 PM            
Maybe instead of full names using a code of some kind.

OK, next, how do you mod?

------------------
LOOK MA.....NO FRAGS
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 26, 2002 10:46 PM            
Go into you Tm directory and find the weapon .ent's and open them up with a word processor type program and just edit it and play around with it.I think thats the easiest way I know.As far a creating one from scratch....?I guess you'd have to find your own mesh and create your own weapon .ent?

Full player names would be ok.Its not like its going to be taking up space.If a user likes,or dislikes, a mod all they have to do is look up at the top and find the weapon name and creator.

This isn't meant to be a modding competetion.Just something everybody can take a part in.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 26, 2002 10:47 PM            
You walk up to a Rocker and smack him in the face with a chain !

LMAO too 70's ? ya i thought so too lol. BRING BACK JOHNNY ROTTON !!

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited February 27, 2002).]

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted February 27, 2002 03:13 AM            
IIIIIIIIIIII aaaaaaaaaammmm..the ANTI-CHRIST..and..Johnny wasn't a mod man!!

PUNK ONN!!!!!!

Yeah Supe I would b up for that! maybe we should all sit in a java class room and have 2-3 teachers in there giving us step-by-steps while we go along making our own mods and maps!

PS Johnny was 70's too.. lol..soz rixy!!
------------------
Feck It... Light Speed

[This message has been edited by -DNX-Ni (edited February 27, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 27, 2002 07:39 AM            
I never said he was a mod lol . . . hey java chat - if you havent checked out the dmf chat yet, i would suggest its a good idea. it has built in file transfer capabilities ideal for this situation.

IP:

MexIndian
posted February 27, 2002 09:02 AM            
well I shall rain on this parade. I think if you open it up for everyone to do, people will create INSTANT KILL weapons. You want your weapon to be something to be reckoned with, you know?

Perhaps if you establish limits to "how deadly it can be"... and a similar thing for tanks.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea in theory. If you can figger out a way to make it work, then good! I would be more than happy to do a gun, a tank, a map or all three (I've always wanted to but RL keeps getting all up in my SH).

------------------
Quarter-Mexican, Quarter-Indian, Quarter- fragging extravaganza,
Quarter- engineer, Quarter- aspiring artist,Quarter-s and dimes, and a quarter.... how many quarters do I have so far? Ok then, fragged and quartered!
:) <- This is a smiley.

>-TEAM MEXEEETO-<

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 27, 2002 03:58 PM            
The goal is to get most people to submit something for the project and hopefully ignite something...It dosen't really matter what kind of mod it is.If someone does make a mod that kills everything on the map all you have to do is ask them to tone it down and resubmit.

Ok...6 people have responded to this thread.Are we down to six active players now?I'm going to take your silence as the fact that you don't care.

IP:

MexIndian
posted February 27, 2002 04:15 PM            
I guess. Yeah, I'm down with it. Get Matrix and the other major advertizers in on it... I'm sure it'll help.

But if you laugh at my weapons, you're going to get it! (I dont know how.....you're too far for me to beat up, I can't hack to save my life, and you are ...what was the word?...... oh yes...."ions" better than me at TM. BUT I'LL GET YOU RAMDRILL EATER!

just say what/when, etc.

------------------
Quarter-Mexican, Quarter-Indian, Quarter- fragging extravaganza,
Quarter- engineer, Quarter- aspiring artist,Quarter-s and dimes, and a quarter.... how many quarters do I have so far? Ok then, fragged and quartered!
:) <- This is a smiley.

>-TEAM MEXEEETO-<

IP:

wolfman
posted February 27, 2002 04:49 PM            
Great Idea - have several mods of stock weapons that I have been thinking of doing

IP:

Vlad
posted February 27, 2002 05:20 PM            
You know what I've always wanted to see...

A mod pack that completely replaced the stock weapons, instead of merely adding to them. It'd take a LOT more balancing work, but it'd be an interesting final product.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted February 27, 2002 05:27 PM            
mex has just given me an idea..lol!! A RAMDRILL EATER mod!! no1'll be able to come near me

------------------
Feck It... Light Speed

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted February 27, 2002 05:34 PM            
hey im interested , i just dont know if i can mod at all dude

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 27, 2002 07:20 PM            
Modding stock weapons is really easy...just do what I said above.Mess around with the numbers in the weapon .ent's and try it out in single player.Increasing the weight increases how often it spawns so jack that up high.Almost forgot...if you edit something in your tm directory back it up...make sure you don't overwrite the weapons ent and save it because the only way you are going to be able to get the stock weapon back is to reinstall the game.I think you should experiment with the weapon ent's that are in the Addons folder in the TM directory.That won't effect the stuff that is in your main TM folder.
This is when a experienced modder should be giving advice because I may be wrong about something.Who wants to take charge?Vlad?I'll help organize stuff so I'm not dumping everything on you....just need someone that can give help where its needed and organize the mods...
Who wants to volunteer?

IP:

Rex R
posted February 28, 2002 01:42 AM            
if you want to edit one or more of the 'stock weapon ents' your 1st step should be, copy them over to your addons folder. the folder structure in the addons folder follows that of the parent folders. so if you want to change the weight of say the shadow keeper(IIRC wonky gun) copy it from tm\entities\weapon > tm\addons\entities\weapon. only the files you intend to change need be copied over to the respective addons folder. if you are unsure as to which ents are involved use ENTregrety it will let you know which files are involved(in fact you should get and use it to ensure that you catch possible errors)
does it need to be a new weapon? I've got several that have seen only limited deployment

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 28, 2002 04:22 AM            
It can be whatever you want.Thanx Rex

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 28, 2002 07:00 AM            
theres prob not an easy way to do it but ive always wanted to see a pulse laser on each side of the tank that can either be in twin-locked mode or alternate rapid fire.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted March 02, 2002 03:13 AM            
Still not satisfied with the number of replies....does 1/16th of the communtiy decide everything for everybody else?If we are going to do this I want at least 90% submitting something...otherwise its pointless.

IP:

Rex R
posted March 02, 2002 03:32 AM            
heck I wouldn't mind seeing new paint jobs on old tanks. been working on a new missile mesh(more or less roughly an AGM65)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 02, 2002 10:18 AM            
how about slogans and names on tanks like the old WW2 fighter planes...

IP:

KONG
posted March 02, 2002 10:47 AM            
i'm in, got a few new stock type heightmaps ready.

and we'll never see 90% of the community do anything together.

maybe some ppl who dont know how to make mods and maps could help someone who does, with odds and ends. textures, skins,etc...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 02, 2002 01:56 PM            
Im gonna make an awesome custom map - its good in one way and kinda wierd in another. Ill explain.

Map Name: The Optic Nerve
Map texture : Photo of MY optic nerve (left eye)

Ok i know you ask how did i get it - well theres a new laser scanner that lets an optician look at the back of the eye for problems (thankfully im fine)- but i asked for the images to be emailed over - so when they arrive ill set it up - truely unique ill try n make it look a bit gooey too Red veins sky etc.... this will be pretty freaky stuff

IP:

This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4