|
Author Topic:   Modders Gratitude
Sage
posted February 06, 2002 11:20 PM            
Hi, my name is Daniel W. Sanders, but most
of you know me as Sage. I'v been a modder or mod maker for more then a year, as well as a map maker. But thats not this post is about. Ya see, although mod making is somewhat fun, we M&M(Mod and Map) makers do not make mods for the sheer fun or love of it. We do it for other TM fans.

I surely doubt that JV, Vlad, Kong, Sailor, or any other M&M maker out there does it for themselves. Because I know I don't. In the begaining, I made my first mod the Bazooka for about three reasons: to see if I could do it, it hadn't been made before, and to get something of mine published on one of those mod sites.

Anyway, the point of this post is to tell people, that if your going to D/L a mod no matter how old the mod is, no matter what time, what you thought about it, and if you liked it-what you liked about it. I know it makes me happy whenever somebody just mentions its name. Besides, it's kind and shows appreciation.

At times, I would say to myself: If somebody doesn't respond or make a comment about my new weapon, i'm not making another weapon again. I sometimes still feel that way.

Well L8r all.

------------------
Fragging is only wrong if you don't mean to do it.

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited February 06, 2002).]

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted February 06, 2002 11:52 PM            
Sorry Sage but am no modder and just use them if they're needed in a practise, CTF or DDM. I have no idea whose is whose!

I reckon the best way to advertise is to do something along the lines of what Vlad did... like make a few mods but don't be too flamboyant about it! Just make a few and let a few beta testers know about them and when the time is right, ask someone to host a server with a decent number of your mods!

Do you mind if you list them all for us, or at least for the people who don't know?

------------------
Feck It... Light Speed

IP:

wolfman
posted February 06, 2002 11:58 PM            
I love the Bazooka and my 81/2 year old son - is a huge fan of the Love Gun. He found it absolutely hilarious and bugs me to let him play whenever I get that mod when playing. LoL Keep up the good work all you modders and mappers out there. I hope to soon do some of the above myself. Till later. JT

IP:

KONG
posted February 07, 2002 12:10 AM            
Neoki, you keep right on chugging along. Keep makin more stuff, and do it because YOU like to do it.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 07, 2002 04:22 AM            
Most modders mod because they get enjoyment and satisfaction from it, not because other s want them to do it.

my 2p

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 07, 2002 06:12 AM            
Ill go wil Ni on this one. Its hard to keep track of all the mods and maps out there. I seem to d/l more almost every week for certain games only to find out I already have them.

I really enjoy some of the mods and there are some I really dont like and wish they not being used. Over all I seem to enjoy stock playing the most, all tho there was one mod that I loved and hated but a lot of fun. And that was called the Shockwave (if I remember correctly). It was used in one mod DDM.

I say keep up the good work and its because you and the other modders that keep this game from getting old to fast.

My $.02 worth

------------------
Just remember that friends dont let friends FRAG drunk.
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted February 07, 2002 07:29 AM         
Feedbach has always been tough to get in this game (or in any). The modder's showcase is a good idea for getting it. For the firs week or 2 I would send chat logs to vlad and he could see users in-game comments. Make a bug freee pach and I'll host it for ya.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted February 07, 2002 07:57 AM            
ye sage the bazooka roks , reel big *BOOM*

its ded good

have a beer man u deser....

:P

------------------
Grind n' Click , Lock n' Load

IP:

Sage
posted February 07, 2002 10:00 AM            
Thanks all. Listen, it may be hard to find out who has made what, but thats one of the reasons(I believe) Kevlar is working on the weapons pack. Also, every once in a while, people make mods, but really don't make them public and only send them to a few friends-who later send to other people and the in the procces-the name of the maker gets lost in the mix.

Anyway, I still believe that people should at least acknowledge the release of a weapon, tank or map.
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000297.html

------------------
Fragging is only wrong if you don't mean to do it.:)

IP:

Vlad
posted February 07, 2002 10:30 AM            
Well, from experience, I can say that you'll get a bit more feedback by releasing mods in groups as opposed to just throwing an individual weapon out every few days (or weeks, months, etc). The first weapon I released was the Dark Nova, and aside from the beta testers, I didn't get much in the way of commentary about it.

Then it occurred to me that it's far more unlikely for the average user to download every little weapon that comes out, simply because not only are there quite a bit of them, but in most cases, it's just a bit of a hassle to download the file, install it, and mess around for just one file (in single player, no less). So I decided I'd hold off on any public releases until I had a good group of weapons set to go. I figured that I'd be more likely to download a pack of multiple weapons instead of just a single one, so the same could possibly be said about other people. While there wasn't a HUGE difference, it was there.

However, making a pack of weapons has more advantages than that. It really enables you to balance them better, and sometimes find a bit of a theme for your pack. For instance, most of my weapons are either fairly powerful in one way or another, or are just quirky and meant to annoy the crud out of other players (like the Peacekeeper), so they don't show up very much. There's a small handful that actually show up as often as the stock TM weapons. So my pack ended up being more of a supplement to the regular weapons. Also, once you've got a nice balanced pack up and running, you can see if you can get a server op to run it for you. Making everything SSO really helps with this, as it doesn't require a download for clients. Reading the logs from The Impaler hasn't lead to that many changes in the weapons, but it can show which weapons people like.

EDIT: I is have good grammar

[This message has been edited by Vlad (edited February 07, 2002).]

IP:

A2597
posted February 07, 2002 04:01 PM            
Heh, I know the feeling about releasing something and NO feedback.

perhaps I'll make a pack out of my weapons...
fix the old ones, balence them out, and release as a pack...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted February 08, 2002 02:57 AM            
= average user

------------------
Feck It... Light Speed

IP:

smiley_mo
posted February 10, 2002 07:58 PM            
Hi Daniel.

All i can say is thanks to you and all you other modders out there for the sterling work you do,if it was not for you guys TM would'nt be the game that it is today.
So once again,CHEERS.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER.
"THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE"

------------------

IP: