This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Sadly His First Topic As An Administrator
Marmalizer
posted February 05, 2002 12:21 AM            
From an earlier locked post by Coax, a chance to reply before it's hidden?

Guido1/Psychobabble/Peachy/Grunt-Scrubb/Quargle/Guido/Marmalizer/whosdat

all have the same IP#. Claims to say they are different people at the same computer lab are probably false. Quote by a concerned Tread Marks player

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tread Marks isn't that big to attract more then one lunatic at a time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The major problem with his spam as pointed out by yet another Tread Marks Player

quote:
I mean, he has 10 post conversations with himself, it screws up a whole thread

Jim has been informed on the situation and he has said he will keep an eye on the situation too.

Anything we do to stop his ramblings will probably only increase the volume of his posts. My advice to the community at large is not to respond to ANY of his post for ANY reason. He seems to get off when people respond. I for one will never respond to another Guido question on thread until he becomes a more responsible member of this community or leaves. I hope he decides the former.

[This message has been edited by Marmalizer (edited February 05, 2002).]

IP:

Marmalizer
posted February 05, 2002 12:22 AM            
Eer... How to start this....
Whilst first reading this with an overwhelming urge to write this in my usual friendly fashion, I'm going to answer this completly on the level.

"Guido1/Psychobabble/Peachy/Grunt-Scrubb/Quargle/Guido/Marmalizer/whosdat"

To name players in a post, who had nothing to say in any thread you're referring to is as an abuse of administrative trust as I can think of.
Of course you were banking on your second statement as being true. "all have the same IP#."
WHICH MEANS! that at some time thay have all used the same computer to post to this board.
That's what mates do! from time to time, but to lie about Guido, Guido1 and Whosdat, whoever they are and to lock the thread so they, and us, cannot reply is unbelievebly immature.

"Claims to say they are different people at the same computer lab are probably false."
I've never been near a computer lab, but for anyone interested, there was a day last year a group of us whom you might know as Marm, Psycho, Peachy, Scrubb and Quargle ( there was actualy 3 more, but as you haven't named them, I won't sink that low ) picked up a copy of this game Treadmarks and one particular mate was trying to get us interested in this online gaming community and showed us all this Treamarks stuff on the internet. Well yea!, it all looked great and we were persuaded to get a name and register it! and believe it or not, it was fun! Marm used his real name and the other's weren't half bad, ( sort of comic book stuff, eh? great. ) LUNATICS!
Over the next few hours while playing the game and testing the different servers, the Marmalizer registered them one by one, and that is why you could hunt back to find that they had the same IP#.
Can't be real people can they?
Well when they become available again I'll just have to get them online together just for you Coax, they'll feel a bit foolish no doubt but they'll do it for me. Yes it will be an ordeal for some, as it was just a bit of fun amongst ourselves ( lads together an' that ) and they've never touched it since, BUT! as it is a bit of fun we'll just have to get it sorted.

"I mean, he has 10 post conversations with himself, it screws up a whole thread"
That thread was created by Marm and mean't purely as a fun way of goading some life into the game as there was never anyone online, on these new servers we'd just joined!
As each mate came over, he'd add a little, It was a joke! Some agreed and some even understood the humour, it was fun!
I never even expected it would last that long! I thought it would disappear with every post I'd write.
But then, you weren't an administrator back then, eh?
I suggest you re-read it slowly, but then again, was it the play on words I made of you and your hero that started this witchhunt? sorry mate but the names kinda lent themselves to the joke, and it was a joke, sorry you didn't get it.

"Jim has been informed on the situation and he has said he will keep an eye on the situation too."
If Jim has been informed, Then Jim really knows that your atempt to group Guido, Guido 1 and whosdat with our lot is WRONG again, and whom I have no idea are. Ok, maybe you don't have that much control over the forum and as such you should really refrain from amateur sluthing, however if you still believe you're right you should at least get a more modern method of checking IP#'s as we all know, IP's can be traced right to your front door. Don't be lazy and just guess!

"Anything we do to stop his ramblings will probably only increase the volume of his posts."
Do you mean I might reply, by pure and simple math, correct.

"My advice to the community at large is not to respond to ANY of his post for ANY reason."
If my posts contain any swearing, malice or harm, take his advice.

"He seems to get off when people respond."
That is the attraction of a forum, but still not me, most of my posts are statements and to people I know, some fun and some serious and if you actualy do really read them you'll find I don't directly respond to some at all.

The rest concerns Guido and you, he can answer for himself, you obvously can't.
But I will say that when someone answers a post directly after a comment with a suggestion that they're the same same person, it can really make it look like Marm is spamming up the board, eh? it's really easy to cut out or cover the Guido/Whosdat comments with your hand, then see if the responses make any sense to what I actualy wrote! Try it Coax!
Now without your advantage of checking ( wrongly ) the IP#'s, I assumed you were Whosdat and so left you the clue to find the mistake you nearly made, ok, maybe you're not him, but you found it anyway, I left it for fun, only now because of your bigotry, there's one very miserable TM player ( he'll get over it ).
Oh I know you're probably relying on your well known name to carry this and you will have fooled most, but I hope there's some with a mind of there own and will actualy read the thread in question, and say, what the hell was that all about!

Left it again just to make sure you din't miss it! we all have SOME friends, surely.

[This message has been edited by Marmalizer (edited February 05, 2002).]

IP:

KONG
posted February 05, 2002 01:22 AM            
not to make this any worse... But if you would have introduced yourself the first time and not spammed the board as someone that no one recognized, we wouldn't be where we are right now. Sooooooo, it pretty much comes right back to you. Mate.

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited February 05, 2002).]

IP:

Moriarty
posted February 05, 2002 02:44 AM            
Good point, Kong...
I mean, hey, Marmalizer, just take a look at our pal Matrix! he's spamming every board I know of, too, but we know him and kinda love him for it... it's just a matter of being known, I guess.
Still, no offense meant. I for my part was never annoyed by ANYone's posts.

------------------
I doubt, therefore I might be.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 05, 2002 03:38 AM            
Why don't you grab ICQ http://www.icq.com so I can send you a private message.ICQ#84048026.Everybody..Marm,Guido1,Moriaty,Whosdat,Psycho,Peachy,Grunt,Quargle...ect,ect,ect
Think you may find out some interesting stuff.

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited February 05, 2002).]

IP:

peeeto
posted February 05, 2002 08:44 AM         
personally, i found all their posts extremely funny... guido was a little overbearing at first, but once he stopped yelling , i never thought his posts were out of line...

and certainly no more spam than our beloved Dudymas' cookie dough-induced ravings!

sure, guido came down a little hard on Sage, but it seemed like rough teasing more than anything malicious to me (although i can relate and understand if Sage took it poorly. after all, he's still a bit young AFAIK)

so please lighten up, people - we're not the stuffy, thin-skinned community that this type of public discussion makes us seem.

if someone has a problem with anyone on the board (and it's not a totally offensive matter), maybe stuff like this is better taken care of privately.

OK - if i pissed SuperU & coax off, i know that i'm gonna get my a$$ kicked even harder than i would have normally, tonite during the 2x2... see you then, guys!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 05, 2002 08:48 AM            
I SPAM !! * Shocked * :O

Can you find me in www.cybertown.com | || | www.dnxworld.com

IP:

Sage
posted February 05, 2002 09:48 AM            
What the heck does AFAIK mean? Also.......
Who are you? Because in the post, it looked as if you are not Marm, and somebody else is with the same username(or something).

------------------
Fragging is only wrong if you don't mean to do it.:)

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted February 05, 2002 09:56 AM            
this whole deal is just someone (who ever it is) who is basicaly a flamer....so far this community has iritated me NOT at all , so how can someone get so damn p***d off at par e.t.c organising a stoopid DDM? marmaliser got way heated up about nothing , nothing i tell u! and i kinda feel bad like were undermineing coax by replying on this thred like he posted and not ignoreing the i.p bandit.......(s,>=/)
how can u get that angry at nothing?

this marmaliser (and c.o) is just causing trouble from all ive seen , same i.p or not all of them should get nailed i think ,but guido 1 seems to be alright...wasnt he the first to have that i.p?

end this thred coax for the love of .....chikens

*avoids religouse confrontation*

------------------
Grind n' Click , Lock n' Load

[This message has been edited by Grind_and_Click (edited February 05, 2002).]

IP:

peeeto
posted February 05, 2002 11:19 AM         
tee hee! FOR THE LOVE OF CHICKENS!
good one, G&C. but i feel like i'm undermining cx, too and i appreciate his attention to the BBS...

yeah - let's end it. for the love of them darned chickens

p.s. Sage - AFAIK means "as far as i know"

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted February 05, 2002 12:05 PM            
How come you guy,s are all over the chat forum but hardly ever on the game? Chat seems more important?

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted February 05, 2002 12:08 PM            
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001888.html

fetch

IP:

MexIndian
posted February 05, 2002 12:51 PM            
No, hold on! Now I'm new to the game, so maybe I don't understand these things, but THE ONLY INAPROPRIATE THING I've ever seen Guido1 do is talk about how we should allow cursing. Other than that I think he's fairly representative of the TM community.

Come on guys! So it's not cool to respond to someone's post? Do you need permission in order to not "RUIN IT"? Coax, you're blaming someone for putting too much time on this BB?

Worse case scenario.... Guido1 invented all these different characters and is invading the bb with them... Perhaps he has poor social skills and the TM community is the only vent he has found (not that it's true, but it could be).

I guess what I'm saying is unless someone is hacking into other people's computers or being openly hostile to everyone, or using profanity, or undermining the spirit of the game, let people contribute to the community as they see fit, no?

My $00.01 anyway.

------------------
Quarter-Mexican, Quarter-Indian, Quarter- fragging extravaganza,
Quarter- engineer, Quarter- aspiring artist,Quarter-s and dimes, and a quarter.... how many quarters do I have so far? Ok then, fragged and quartered!
:) <- This is a smiley.

>-TEAM MEXEEETO-<

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted February 05, 2002 01:33 PM            
One more thing, how can you have a locked post, sounds like Big brother to me. I WANT ONE

IP:

The Weatherman
posted February 05, 2002 01:35 PM         
I have an excellent suggestion:
Let's change the subject!

*drawn out analysis and statment of opinion that would prompt replies and further discussion deleted*

There is a pretty cool game I know of called Treadmarks! It is violent and addictive and totally distracts one from Real Life

BTW, anyone know about that game RL 2002? I hear it is an immersive 1st person shooter with deformable environments.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted February 05, 2002 01:50 PM         
This is a test. Please keep your hands and arms inside your pants. This is only a test.

IP:

Sage
posted February 05, 2002 01:50 PM            
Well i'm not talking about guido1, i'm talking about guido. Also, Grind and Click, didn't you make some post about beer on this Forum, now that was inappropriate.

IP:

Paranor
posted February 05, 2002 02:22 PM            
On behalf of one of the guys who works a little harder each week to bring a DDM server up - amen weatherman!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 05, 2002 02:29 PM            
After some more advanced sleuthing, its impossible for me to tell Marm, Guido, and whosdat apart. Although Marm seems to be on the "up and up." Accurate traces for Guido, and whosdat weren't possible. As a result of this entire problem, and to keep everyone in the loop, Jim has banned registration-using hotmail.

To some degree whether there the same or not does not matter. The problem was constant flaming of the bboard. Please do not have conversations with yourself in multiple threads its very distracting for the rest of us. And inside jokes to the degree you were having on the bboard is not chatting its flaming. There is ICQ, or e-mail, even many online chat rooms if you want to have long conversations together. The reason I'm an administrator is to stop and protect the bboard from flaming, so I'm extra sensitive on that subject. I've had many complaints about the flaming and I hope you guys will discontinue the practise.

I'm not above making mistakes and since I'm an administrator all of my mistakes are on a larger scale now.

Please everyone feel free to associate with anyone else on the bboard without thinking your undermining me. Hopefully, everyone can go back to a 1 spam per post limit

I'm sorry Marm and Guido, hopefully we can all go on Tread Marks and have a blast. I hope you will accept my apology, sorry

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted February 05, 2002 04:17 PM            
Well......here is my thoughts for the day.
There is a reason that all boards have moderator(s).
There is freedom of speech in this country but that dosen't mean you can say whatever you want,when and where you want.Try standing in front of the White House and scream "I got a bullet with Bush's name on it" and see what happens
Sure,,I WASN"T offended by all the conversations going on.I was ANNOYED.And why do I have to be annoyed when I come here?
Ever since I've been here we have kept the boards clean(and I'm not just talking about lude or obscene comments) and put posts where they belong,such as modding posts.I remember RC,our former moderator,doing it pleanty of times and I agree with it totally.
I come here to read about TM realted stuff and the occasional post that is interesting.If you want to just have a casual chat with people,thats what they make chatrooms for.
At what point would you want a moderator to step in?For some it might be sooner than otheres.If these guys where left alone and they started to get more and more carried away and posting spam in every thread,then you'd prob be annoyed.
Anyway...I hope this stuff does die so it won't be a topic anymore.

IP:

Marmalizer
posted February 05, 2002 04:39 PM            
Just knneeew He loved the Marm really!
As for burin' the thread, great, it was a strain to be that serious and I'd hate to be reminded by it. BUT!

Did you see the wonderous shiny things sunday night? little tiny inky dinky shinin' gold tanks runnin' rings around me ...haa haa haa haa....fired a round at the pesky zoomcraft and no sooner lifted me finger off the button... it was behind me shootin' me in the a....haa haa...How the hell he controlled it that fast is so funny to watch, and then it's big brother comes up as s l o w a s h e l l and I just had to laugh, I could sit there takin' shot after shot and there was nothin' he could do,... HaH!...when he did turn 'round, Boy! what a smack in the face!
Tell 'em 'bout the weapons Marm!
Oooo yes! don't know what they were called and don't know which one did what but what pyrotechnics!! what hell of a force, chucked me viciously skyward where I could still see the tiny little shiny thing zoomin' around.
What a gorgeous little treasure chest! All made by a Vampire I think! Are these all new!
How comes this was played instead of? why not as well as?
How wrong can you be? there was the Marm, bemoanin' the loss of another DDM and ...well...
this was forced on me....what a bonus!
Good on yer you blood suckin' gold shiftin' modder!

How the hell he controlled it that fast is so funny to watch...hee hee hee hee

But next time I'll Marmalize yer!

IP:

A2597
posted February 05, 2002 04:53 PM            
I can't wait for this community to grow a bit...

Goto Firstones.com , look at any thread there.
Try finding one that last for 5 post before going off topic. (Usually off topic for three-200 post) it usually DOES get back on topic though.

However, to my knowladge, no one carries conversations with themselves via multiple user names.
(OK, I DID register an extra one there, but that was for one post, and for a joke, after then I never used the account again, and I doubt anyone even knows it's there anymore, LOL)

anyhoo, the main purpose of this post is this:

You cannot expect a topic to stay on the origanal topic,general conversation dictates that more then one topic be involved, otherwise it wouldn't be conversation. However, set rules DO need to be in place for what is acceptable, Flambing being the main one, but definetly concider how what your saying will affect the other users. (If anyone here cares to remember the Firstones joke: What started as a little joke, went WAY out of hand, thankfully, nothing bad came of it. Firstones got at least some attention, and Treadmarks got some new players.)
Posting with multiple user names is definetly a no-no, IMO, the only way I can see having two user names is if your a moderator, and want to be invovled in a discussion that could otherwise hurt the moderator/admins status (Politics, religion, etc, touchy topics, but hard to stay out of).

I think it is only fair that Marm and company goes back to just one username. I have no problems with him using all those names in-game, as aliases are perfectly normal there, but on the forum, please restrain yourself to just one. Firthermore, please don't flamb US when you are the source of the discussion.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

guido 1
posted February 05, 2002 07:42 PM         
i started playin tm with the 1.01 demo , ah the old ngi server , that's where i got hooked on the game . in those day's i was guido , and today i'm guido . i changed to guido 1 because the email account i used at lycos was changed , i didn't remember my password , and to make a short story long , i just re-registerd . as i couldn't use guido ( me ) because it was already in use by another member ( me ) . i figured might as well register as the closest thing to ( me ) so that's how guido 1 came to be . i am the same person and play online as guido . didn't think it nescessary to put the 1 with it , and still don't . as far as ip addresses go this is my second one in two years , my wife uses the 1st one , and i use this one . my understanding is that each pc has an internal ip , dynamic ip i believe is the term . and i don't see how my dynamic ip could be the same as any other . whew ......

------------------
Trying is the first step towards failure ... Guido the mercy killer .

IP:

guido 1
posted February 05, 2002 07:54 PM         
BTW what is the reason for the ban on hotmail clients , i myself use both lycos and hotmail . if you ban hotmail users from registering , well that's a lot a hotmail users . doesn't make any sense . not many people want to use outlook or outlook express , not only because of the viruses etc. but there are some security issues , and unless you are on all the time as is the case with broadband , dialups would never get email . i prefer lycos , hotmail etc. because they already scan for viruses etc. so i know attatchments are safe to open . help me make sense of a ban on registering with a hotmail account , because lycos and others could be next .

------------------
Trying is the first step towards failure ... Guido the mercy killer .

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 05, 2002 08:30 PM            
" Jim has banned registration-using hotmail" at last a good move. The point guido is that free emails can be registered without a traceble person behind them - pop3 etc cannot, they always lead somewhere hence anyone can sign up a free email and use it for spamming or abuse without any comeback. With a set statis accountable fixed mail you can hold someone responsible since their ip is set in the e-mail headder as its sent from a local machine with such as outlook as opposed to hotmail with its own ip.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2