|
Author Topic:   LOL Server
HUT
posted February 02, 2002 04:53 PM            
The "Impaler SSO IP 146.6.118.204" Location: Austin (30.258N, 97.733W) UNITED STATES
Network: UTAUSTIN2 University of Texas at Austin Office of Telecommunication Services.

On this server, I can movement quickly. very good server for me.

Legion Of Ladykiller.

IP:

Kevlar
posted February 02, 2002 05:05 PM            
Speaking of that, That server is very good for me too. (Impaler)

But I have noticed this morning, a slight lagginess on the Sunday DDM Server with the same Vlad pack. (Par's server I think.)

Has anyone else noticed that. I was by myself too. So that scares me as far as the DDM. Maybe it was a one time thing.

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

The Weatherman
posted February 02, 2002 06:49 PM         
I'll leave it up as a safety for the DDM.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 02, 2002 09:40 PM            
Hey Weatherman, what do you set your net rate at for your DDM servers?

------------------
click...click...BOOM!!
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted February 03, 2002 01:08 AM         
4k, i think. 10 FPS.

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 03, 2002 03:38 PM            
Fun..... Does everyone remember to reconfigure your net rates as clients to a server depending on lag??? I for one forget, but us big bandwidth junkies need to always ask people how they are doing lag wise, and if it's bad, then set down our net rates to 4k or 3k.... it really does help a TON!

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 03, 2002 07:02 PM            
I know that both Paranor and I were wondering the answer to this question. What does the FPS on the server cfg do? What affect does changing it have on the game?

Thanks

------------------
Just remember that friends dont let friends FRAG drunk.
Family. Redefined.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Tiggs (edited February 03, 2002).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted February 03, 2002 08:57 PM         
prolly the person who was most in the know about this was Skandranon. I extracted some info from him via ICQ before he drifted away. You can see it here. http://home.austin.rr.com/treadmarks/serverchat.htm

I am working on a server tutorial that should be fairly comprehensive. In fact it is already written - 4.5 handwritten pages
I just haven't had the time to type it up. If anyone is interested, give me some shouts and I will get up the motivation to finish it

EDIT :
#Updates per second rate of the server. This should
#NOT be more than 10 for Internet Servers, unless
#you only want High Bandwiidth people playing. LAN
#servers can safely set the update rate up to 20.
#Note that this doesn't affect the FPS of the clients,
#only the rate that network update packets are sent.
DedicatedFPS = 10

#Max bytes per second sent to each client.
#Reduce this number if you are going to be running a server on a connection with small upstream bandwidth, like a DSL connection
ServerRate = 5000

The both seem pretty similar, no? Both are rates of information - one screens per sec the other bytes per sec. FPS should be just screen updates. server rate would be total information sent - i.e. both on screen and off screen locations of tanks, projectiles, craters, etc. . I belive high FPS reduces the number of unseen projectiles and maybe gives smoother tank motions. Too high and your server or client wont be able to keep up - frames will be dropped and tanks will jump around. just a theory

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited February 03, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 05, 2002 05:17 PM            
Thanks Weatherman. It was good reading.

One more question....Would you encounter any problems playing on your PC that your running the server from?

Thanks agian.

------------------
Family. Redefined.

IP:

synack
posted February 05, 2002 05:51 PM         
What ever happened to Skan, anyway? Somebody kick him and tell him to get his rusty tank over here!

IP:

Skandranon
posted February 06, 2002 06:59 PM            
Well - I'm still alive. That's the good news, sorta.

Bad news is, I don't have much time to play games anymore, and I got pretty thoroughly burned out on Treadmarks. Fantastic game... but never went anywhere. Tragic, but true. Not from lack of trying on my part or anyone's, it just didn't.

I haven't checked the message boards in months, or played in weeks. Dunno if that'll change or not. I've already got a dearth of time and too many good games to play. Ah well, I'm still available on ICQ and might show up from time to time.

See you guys around.

------------------
Skandranon,
The Black Gryphon

IP:

Paranor
posted February 06, 2002 07:57 PM            
I have netrate set for 3KB and this overrides any client settings.

Good analysis on the FPS WM - that makes sense. However, it would be nice if LDA WOULD ANSWER!

IP:

Paranor
posted February 06, 2002 07:58 PM            
WM - I'll be more than thrilled to help. What can I do? Do you have a scanner and e-mail me the pages and I'll put sumfin together?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted February 06, 2002 08:01 PM         
Well, if you are serious and have good eyesight, I will send them to you. Thanks!

Edit: I don't really know about that Tiggs. Not a difficult experiment, tho. I remember some discussion about this - supposedly there are problems if you launch both server and your game from the same install. I think if you run the server from a different directory than your game, you should be ok.

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited February 06, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted February 07, 2002 06:02 AM            
Ok, thanks.

I would offer to help typing out your info but I only do about 10 words a minute.

------------------
Family. Redefined.

IP: