|
Author Topic:   So how about a modded DDM? (2/3/02)
Vlad
posted January 24, 2002 03:06 PM            
In case you don't check the modding boards, let me first tell you that I recently released a mod pack.

Here is a thread with more details:
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000288.html

Further down the thread is some conversation regarding fixing a few minor glitches, but everything is working just dandy now. I've seen a few of you on the "The Impaler" server that Weatherman has so graciously set up, so now I must ask...

Would anybody have any objections to using the mod pack in the DDM on February 2nd? Response to the weapons on the server has been overwhelmingly good, and everything's nice and balanced. You can get the pack here:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze26xhe/Treadmarks/VladPack2.zip

Check it out and let me know if you'd have any objections to using it in a DDM situation. Also, since the entire pack is server side, you can just join "The Impaler" server, and see the stuff automatically.

[This message has been edited by Vlad (edited January 24, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Vlad (edited January 24, 2002).]

IP:

A2597
posted January 25, 2002 10:02 AM            
hmm, I'm not against using your weapons...

Perhaps add my Dragonflys?
they are done now, and I've had nothing but good reations to them. (I made the changes you suggested for balence)

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

Paranor
posted January 25, 2002 10:51 AM            
I'm OK with it vlad!

IP:

Karldar
posted January 25, 2002 10:52 AM            
Word!

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

synack
posted January 25, 2002 01:32 PM         
I played on that server today, and the two guys who were already there reported significant gameplay impact when I was connecting and synching up those 388 entities.

Now multiply the number of players likely to be on for the DDM, and imagine what it's going to be like as each new player connects.

Just food for thought. We can always start there, and move to a stock server if things get too bad.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 25, 2002 01:37 PM            
I would suggest only using like 5 mod weapons. Like the 240mm, mirvs of steel, and other such non lag weapons.

------------------
Tread Marks' Ladders

IP:

Paranor
posted January 25, 2002 01:51 PM            
What entities would it be syncing up? Can we counter that by getting a download pack going so ease that part of it for those who download it?

IP:

A2597
posted January 25, 2002 02:03 PM            
weapons I've noticed (I can only speak for my own I'm afraid) that seem to be no lag, low ent #, and server side:
Mirvs of steel, still my favorite weapon... =)

Land Mine (Hey, three ents, hard to beat)

and I havent tested the dragonflys online, but it doesn't do anything fancy, less so then the Mirvs.

Weapon I'd LOVE to see online:
Landshark...c'mon, PLEASE?

------------------

IP:

synack
posted January 25, 2002 02:13 PM         
wow ... haven't seen the landshark in a loooooooong time!

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 25, 2002 02:25 PM            
Either the Land Shark is not server side or I have the wrong version.

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

A2597
posted January 25, 2002 02:38 PM            
It's not server side.

------------------

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 25, 2002 02:49 PM            
Bad thoughts.15 people driving around in Ifrits at once

IP:

Vlad
posted January 25, 2002 03:00 PM            
Well, I was sorta hoping to use a DDM with just my weapons, really... They've gotten a good response, and I know for sure that I'll be able to make it to the one on the 3rd.

As far as synching up the 360 or so entities, at least 150 of those are flag entities, and the other 200 or so are mine. However, there is an address in the server description where you can download the pack, and it's only 100k anyway (gotta love server side stuff).

And as far as the weapons go, the only complaint I've really had is with slight "ghosting" due to the Ifrit's speed. However, that only seems to happen to the people on slower connections. I haven't had it happen, myself. I've had some problems when the Sheep go off for some reason (never happened before), but I think that has to do with the explosion (it's WAY too intense for the frequency that they go off), and I've had a similar problem with the Plasma Rain. I'll have tweaked versions of both of those available within a day or so.

And Paranor, I posted a link to my mod pack in my first post, and there's also one in The Impaler's server description.

Personally, I like the idea that The Weatherman came up with before with the Modder's Showcase, and it'd be nice to see the DDM also adopt it every so often. The worst thing is seeing the Storm server empty all the time. Every time I've tried to get people over to it, nobody has downloaded it.

IP:

Vlad
posted January 25, 2002 03:30 PM            
quote:
Bad thoughts.15 people driving around in Ifrits at once

Heh, or someone installing Ifrit/Juggernaut on a CTF server...

IP: