|
Author Topic:   3D TM Gaming!!!!
Sage
posted January 20, 2002 11:53 PM            
Me and my dad wen't to this Computer Convention on sunday(day of the DDM) and we saw alll this cool hardware, they even had parts to make your own computer. Well anyway, we saw this really cool hardware for any PC Game that kinda makes it look like there are two objects, but when you put on these glasses it makes it look like the object(Tank is right in your face. here take a look, it's a Nvidia Product http://www.xgaming.com/nvidia/index.asp
THE PRICE IS AT THE BOTTEM OF THE PAGE.
This one guy said that he was playing spiderman on his PC, and it looked say cool as he was web-slinging.

------------------
Fragging is only wrong if you don't mean to do it.:)

IP:

KONG
posted January 21, 2002 12:02 AM            
sounds good! but i dont think that i'll pay 80 bucks for the glasses. kind of gimmicky. but keep bringing us the latest news sage. it is appreciated!

IP:

Sage
posted January 21, 2002 01:31 AM            
Well Kong, Found one for $65, looks pretty neat too. http://www.elsa.com/international/europe/produkte/mmedia/3drevelator.htm

------------------

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 21, 2002 03:50 AM         
And since the NVidia glasses are not much more than a remake of the ELSA ones...
No, really, the ELSA Revelator has been around for several years - as long or longer than the NVidia TNT2 product line. There's a wired (~8-10 ft.(!)) version usually selling for about 60€ and a wireless (infrared) version selling around 80€. I own a wired pair (bought it in 2000) and can thus tell you a few things about those:

• They hurt your nose.
  • They hurt your eyes (unless you've got a Monitor supporting over 160Hz refresh rate at any sensibly high resolution)
  • They slow games down - a lot. Each frame of the game has to be rendered twice from different angles... (the fps go down by more than 50%, though)
  • You see double-images all the time: The glasses work by switching two LCDs in front of your eyes from see-through to supposed pitch-black. That's what they say. In practice, they take away so much of the light coming from the monitor that you'll have to adjust the brightness of every program or of your monitor almost to the top setting and on the other hand they always let enough light through that you can see a (weak) image of what's intended for one eye with the other eye. Takes away from the 3D-effect and makes many people feel sick.
  • The pseudo 3D-effect won't help your score at all. You'd think that seeing a game like TM or Quake in 3D would help with aiming and movement, but it doesn't. At least seeing the games in this pseudo-3D doesn't help at all. I think the reason for this might be that it's impossible not to focus your eyes on anything on the screen - everything from the wall right in front of your nose to the forest on the mountain slopes in the distance is in focus all the time and I don't think our brains are made to handle that.

• THEY'RE COOL.!

No matter what I said before, by all means find someone who has 'em and try them! It's totally incredible how cool those 3D games look through them once they're turned on and set up (yes, in that order - they need a lot of adjustments).

• They don't work well under Win2k or WinXP (yet(?))

• They are known to mess with standby wakeup procedures on some computers.

I wouldn't buy them again, but some people say they simply love them. Some even beat me sinlge-handedly with those glasses on. My 2p.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 21, 2002 08:02 AM            
I used this once at a computer convention - they were silky (my new word from WM )

Totally forgot about them. Thanks for bringing them up again!

IP:

Sage
posted January 21, 2002 09:34 AM            
Also, I heard that MOH(Medal of Honor) uses something called a or the Quake® III engine, and seems pretty interesting and I was just thinking is there a possibility to use that with TreadMarks? Now, I admit I really don't know about the Quake® III engine and how it works.

------------------

IP:

Sage
posted January 22, 2002 11:16 AM            
I tried out that thing that test your upload rate and I was wondering if this was a good online speed?
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/751397;198019;d8515ff03f80f7021b93bbef8f80e7c4;1.1

------------------

IP: