|
Author Topic:   TM Graphics Settings
Paranor
posted January 17, 2002 12:32 AM            
I'm confused on the graphics settings in Treadmarks and the role it plays when running in windows versus full screen. It might be in the manual that comes with the game but that's since long gone....

The "res" - does that only get used when I'm in full screen? I have it set to 800x600 and it doesn't seem to be any different?

In fact, what settings are ignored if I'm running in Windowed mode? I have bit depth set to 32, Texture res set to 512, Trilinear set to YES, Horizon Fog YES, DUST 25%, terrain tris 10000, meshes HIGH, detailed textures YES, View distance 1000m, treadmarks YES.

How many of those are usless in windows versus full screen?

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted January 17, 2002 01:22 AM            
I tried fiddlin about with that too! Don't think it has much relevance to the windows part. Try the 500+ x 300+.. can't remember the exact figures.. but it's TM in cinematic widescreen.. lol!!

Am thinkin for some really laggy DDMs, I might use the lowest res for smoother action!

------------------
Lemon Curry?!?!

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 17, 2002 01:25 AM            
Resolution and color depth get ignored, but that's it I think.

IP:

JVortex
posted January 17, 2002 02:21 AM            
maybe im wrong here in some way or dont understand the question, but...

the "Res" is Screen Resolution. the higher the screen res the slower your comp will run as its more demanding on the processor, but the better it will look. 800 x 600 is a good one to run at.

set your screen res to 1024 x 786 (or higher). then look at it in full screen mode, then switch and look at it in windowed mode.

then set your screen res to 320 x 240 and look at it in both modes as well. youll see the difference.

chances are that the only real reason that TM supports both windowed and full screen is that on some vid cards the same settings will work drastically better in one mode than in another. in general tho TM should run at least a little better full screen than in a window. on most more up to date cards tho performance should be the same in either mode.

personally i prefer 800 x 600 windowed. that way i can still access the rest of my desktop. no settings should be ignored between window and full screen, TM still uses em all. actually your bit depth really doesnt need to be at 32 bit, 16 looks pretty much just as good and should improve your FPS a little as well.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 17, 2002 06:41 AM            
for the terrain i have my tris set at 6000, mainly because i found it skiped around on 8000,9000,10000.

i have dust at minimum to prevent video lag.

i have distance at 500 - i like the realism of the fog as opposed to a clear view. and i tend to design most of my maps to use the fog at 250m since it brings an "atmosphere" of mystery to the map. It also allows me to be more flamboyant with the designs itself as i can play with all the polys in a small area as opposed to having flat land i have to spread them out over 15 viewgrids.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 17, 2002 09:53 AM            
I found that running in Windowed mode gives me better overall resoution. My desktop runs at 1280x1024.

I'll have to mess around with the settings you mentioned matrix.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 17, 2002 10:17 AM            
well windowed i get far less performance.

my desktop runs in 1940 x 1440 x 32

btw is it just me or does tm loose poly texturing in 32 bit mode ?

i run tm in 800x600 full screen 16 bit 128 texturing. and with those settings offline play is wonderfully fluid - online the lag is due to my sickly 56k modem conneting at 44k.

i use a netrate of 3

im running dx 8.1 btw as a pert of xp pro and i have no problems at all with it - best version yet.

just my 2

lol 2 euros i think thats the first time thats been done lol !

-=[ CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZEEEEEEEE ]=-

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 17, 2002 03:54 PM            
I remember Neo switching to Windowed in a game and noticed a big improvement in FPS.I run full screen because I never liked having the mouse cursor present in window mode.

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 17, 2002 04:03 PM            
I run in 800x600 because it seems to help fps, and in full screen because my graphics card wigs out when I hit f8 to switch it. I used to run 1024x768, same as my desktop. The only real difference I notice visually is that screen captures are smaller, of course. But visually I don't really see a difference, only performance wise.

Geez Matrix, your icons must look like dots. What size monitor do you have? 22in?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 17, 2002 09:15 PM            
lol - no but i oughta - im on a 19 inch with a .22 dot pitch fine mesh.

IP: