|
Author Topic:   XP is horrible with TM!
MexIndian
posted January 10, 2002 09:20 AM            
I know this has been discussed several times. I also know, howsoever, that there are some people running XP pro that can play TM no problem. I highly suspect my video driver is to blame (my video card is NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 with the latest XP driver from the NVIDIA webpage). My comp. is a P4 1.5 w/ 256 RAM. Can anyone help me?

------------------
Quarter-Mexican.... Quarter-Indian... Quarter- fragging extravaganza, and a healthy helping of sometimes-not-so-good-at-this-game.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 10, 2002 10:05 AM            
its definately a driver issue - i advise trying a 3rd party driver, when stable they can often be better than official ones.

IP:

Irascible
posted January 10, 2002 07:11 PM            
God helps those who help themselves : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=48&manufactory=1471&DEPA=1
A lot of the Ti200 cards will overclock to Ti500 speeds: http://www.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=14-133-002

IP:

Rex R
posted January 11, 2002 01:26 AM            
heh sounds like my puter. I tried those new drivers, screwed up the d3d stuff. went back to the drivers that came with the puter. I've heard of other folks having probs with win xp and new drivers(unsigned). guess we'll have to wait a bit for the drivers to catch up.

IP:

=DNX= Dalmatian
posted January 11, 2002 02:21 AM            
Mex, I know exactly what you're talking about. I bought a GeForce2 Ti, the next best thing to a GeForce2 Pro and I used the drivers that was on the installation CD. They caused a great deal of problems for both my computer when it was runing Windows 2K and now since I'm runing Windows XP Professional. The simple solution is to download the drivers directly from the Nvidia website. I could save you all the trouble and send you the install programs myself if you wish. It will be three things, the Nvidia Windows2k/XP installation driver which works on any Nvidia graphic card and there are two more drivers as well but I don't know if your graphic card has those features though. Chances are, you'll only need the Win2k/XP install program which makes the card compatible with both XP and 2k. =)

------------------
Bow wow >=P

IP:

Karldar
posted January 11, 2002 08:49 AM            
Hmm, my TNT's been a bit funky lately(can't run 16 or 32 bit color any higher than 640X480-crashes my 'puter if I do). It was workin' fine til I dl'd the newest drivers for it. Anyhoo, mebbe this'll help-I'm still runnin' Win98 so I don't know if this is even relevant for you or not, Mex.
http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/rivatnt/

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

MexIndian
posted January 11, 2002 10:15 AM            
Thanks all. Dalmation: I already downloaded the driver from the webpage, the "detonator" or "XPloder" or whatever the hell it's called. Didn't work. Now I'm using the NVIDIA driver that was modified by the people that made my card (eVGA). Kaldar, I'll try those settings, and Ras... lol.

Matrix, what kind of 3rd party drivers? Any idea how these work?

I think I'm with Rex... we're just going to have to wait for everybody to jump through Bill Gates' hoops some more, then maybe we can have some fun.

------------------
Quarter-Mexican.... Quarter-Indian... Quarter- fragging extravaganza, and a healthy helping of sometimes-not-so-good-at-this-game.

IP:

Karldar
posted January 11, 2002 10:25 AM            
I think one of the key points made in the tweak article is that it's best to ensure that all vestiges of the previous drivers are purged from your 'puter so as not to have any driver conflicts whatsoever. 'Course, I haven't tried doin' that with mine yet-hope to get around to it after work Sat. Guess you can be my guinea pig, Mex .

P.S. Theres also an overclocking util mentioned in the article I'm gonna try. Mebbe I can get a little better performance from my good ol' obsolete TNT....
http://www.tweak3d.net/files/tntclk.zip

------------------

IP:

peeeto
posted January 11, 2002 11:36 AM         
Karldar: (i've been trying to help MexI fix this thing) that was my understanding as well... but since the new eVGA & DetXP driver installation instructions don't mention anything about removing the device first, we went ahead & just ran the automatic driver install programs...

BTW, if MexI hasn't already mentioned it, here's the order of events:
1) got PC from manufacturer. TM ran REALLY choppy in windowed mode, and i don't think it could be run in fullscreen. neither the NVidia or eVGA driver was installed - i think it was the Microsoft WinXP driver.

2) installed the NVidia DetonatorXP automatic driver update. TM ran great in fullscreen, but crashed after a few minutes play. TM ran very choppy in windowed mode.

3) installed the eVGA WinXP automatic driver update. TM runs great in fullscreen, but still choppy (but better) in windowed mode. he has not played TM for a long enough time to see if it still crashes.

note: my home PC, a P-II with a TNT-2 card, runs TM better than his P4... although my TNT-2 is not the lesser M64 model like his. also, the Celeron 400MHz with a TNT-1 runs TM better than his P4 at this time

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 11, 2002 01:00 PM            
third party drivers are re-written by coders who think they can do better - in some cases thay have done and nvidia learn from this interaction rather than scorn it which is in part what makes them so good.

i think 3rd party driver can be found at *hopes he gets the addy right* www.reactorcritical.com and they install like any other driver. Some add compatibility others have other features.

IP:

guido 1
posted January 11, 2002 11:45 PM         
just make sure you delete the old os because it backs it up by default , update all drivers , if nothing else is available go for win 2000 drivers untill xp drivers are available . your skills are not decreased , the players are better . that's why i will sometimes log on as a differnt player new sig etc. to avoid the head hunters...... it's a dumb mouse who only know's one hole .........heheh .... fun .

------------------
Trying is the first step towards failure ... Guido the mercy killer .

IP:

peeeto
posted January 18, 2002 02:05 PM         
update: MexI's PC works fine now . he uninstalled the existing drivers (by removing the grfx adapter thru the device mgr), then re-installed the hardware & drivers.

so, eVGA's and NVidia's READMEs are wrong when they say that you don't have to uninstall the old drivers before you update! >

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 18, 2002 02:58 PM            
Hmmm.I never saw that in nVidia's readme?
It says you should go to display prop,adapter and install the generic pci graghics adapter over the current nVidia drivers then reboot and install the new drivers.Thats the way I always do it.
BTW...they just released 23.12 Dets a couple od days ago.

IP:

Karldar
posted January 18, 2002 03:26 PM            
My good ol' TNT seems to be workin' fine now. I couldn't get the 23.12 to work for me, but I dl'd some older non-whql drivers(recommended for TNT/TNT2 Ultras).
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=pg_20010907943252

P.S. The article I refer to above seems to be outdated in regards to the newer drivers. I couldn't access a lot of the additional features it mentions. S'okay, tho-now I'm gonna try overclockin' .

------------------

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited January 18, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted January 31, 2002 12:22 PM            
thought I'd mention, windows update has an updated 'nvidia' driver availible for dl

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 31, 2002 03:52 PM            
27.10 is the newestleaked drivers but it causes my Return to Castle Wolfenstein to crash so I suggest you avoid it like a bad case of herpes.

IP:

Rex R
posted February 01, 2002 03:13 AM            
not a prob with the windoze update they are only up to 2.3.1.2

IP:

Paranor
posted February 03, 2002 10:58 AM            
Is there a Windows XP SP!? If so, can someone ftp it to my site? I'm still trying to manually find it with no luck.

ftp://karllois.dyndns.org

uid: xpsp1
pwd: xpsp1

thanks

IP:

guido 1
posted February 03, 2002 11:05 AM         
no sevice pack yet , and i think i'll wait untill they do . then i'll get it all instead of piecemeal patches , that will be included in the SP .

------------------
Trying is the first step towards failure ... Guido the mercy killer .

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 03, 2002 03:24 PM            
btw.... looking at all of this, when I learn some good programmin' skillz, does anyone want to join me in programming a linux game engine specifically for Tread Marks? This would prolly be a lot better because we could add tons of Radeon support and beef up the game a TON! And yet, make it still require cds and stuff because game engines only know how to process data, so people still have top buy the game (I say this because some people may think I'm asking about pirating TM onto linux, which I WILL NOT DO!). Then again, how much you wanna bet I'll see this kinda thing in the download page on LDA's site soon enough.... fun fun fun! But who's with me, I think we could do it.... after all, loki games is gone now, isn't that right? They did this sorta thing to almost every big game that ever came out, only the sold the game engine with the game instead of making it freely available from the site....

I'd like to see LDA's point of view on this sorta thing too, but that's only if they have time, and if I have some support. No sense doing it all alone, that would be mighty hard!

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 03, 2002 03:53 PM            
Oh, and I posted something about this on the master server topic for us running our own, I'm also wondering about that LDA... if you'd like to post your full response with some stuff on this too....... is the master server on a unix platform, if so, I'm sure there are still people who can run it!

IP:

Paranor
posted February 04, 2002 01:42 PM            
One of my co-workers brother is a 'nix nerd and supposedly has alrady setup Treadmarks to run on 'nix. I'm trying to find out how, etc. and will post it once I do.

But I did install XP on my laptop after getting sick of the corrupt W2K stack and I'm able to do more with XP that W2K. For example, I was never able to run Treadmarks while in my docking station. Which is cool because I can now play at lunch and not feel bad that I'm dragging down the server where I also run the client at lunchtime.

And is it me or is IE 6 faster in XP than in W2K?

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 05, 2002 11:41 PM            
Mwahahahahah, that's great news to me, because I'd love to play on linux, just to be able to have so much faster connection (quite frankly, the windows drivers for my networking card and all aren't quite as good as linux's.... it REALLY kicks but when the nerds find out how to get a working driver for a component, from there they can practically destroy windows' hardware usage in many respects.... but then again, only if the linux guys can get a working driver going... which takes a LONG time..... like learning a new language, only that of a computer). Do you have his e-mail?

IP: