|
Author Topic:   Server tutorial
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 08, 2002 04:49 AM            
Can somebody point me to the hosting a server tutorial?

IP:

Rex R
posted January 08, 2002 04:58 AM            
you might try http://home.austin.rr.com/treadmarks/
weatherman's site

IP:

KONG
posted January 08, 2002 08:41 AM            
I guess you got your DSL workin?

------------------
Ah, I feel wefweshed! Kongs-Maps

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 08, 2002 09:27 AM         
I will try to nicens up the "your Servers section" to make it more user friendly. Perhaps try to add some info about Firewalls and Remotes. ETU 3 days

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 08, 2002 04:14 PM            
Yeah,got the DSL working.Plan on hosting a server but have it only up at night.What kind of server is needed?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 08, 2002 04:24 PM         
LOL - Need is such a funny word
We are stocked up on the basics. Anything goes really, just try to make it novel or you get no peoples (sigh). Prolly the best thing to do is make a server you would want to play.

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Treadhead tested, Girlfriend dissaproved ;)

IP:

Hammer
posted January 08, 2002 09:14 PM            
Make the server to your own tastes but keep the other players in mind when you do. That way you'll have what you like plus others can enjoy it with you.
If someone asks me to change something on a server I will comply if I feel most of the players using it agree and it is a reasonable request.
Right now I am trying to run these mini's from Sage and I really like them and will keep them up until the novelty wears off or no one else cares for them and I am running the server for nothing.
Kind of like the race server. I am finding it doesn't get much use but I know when I do find other ppl playing on it I have a ball.
It is fun to run a server but you must be fairly consistent. You'll get regulars who will look for your set-up and won't appreciate constant monkeying with the settings.
Once you've got a set-up you like make sure it is available on a regular schedule. Then once you feel comfortable set-up one for fun that you can change anytime.
That's pretty much how I started but I will always leave HammerTime up and I'll mess with the others. Although ppl like HammerTime2 so I will probably not mess to much with that either.
Super's Dusk Till Dawn( I like that)
Of course this is just my opinion you can run a server anyway you like.

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited January 08, 2002).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 08, 2002 10:07 PM            
Well,was thinking maybe a mod test server.Vlad already asked me to host a server with his new mods to see if it caused lag.That would work out good too since the server wouldn't have to be up 24/7

My speed isn't quite impressive yet.I have to try to tweak it some or get the telco to send somone out to look...so I can't really host a mainstream server as of yet

IP:

KONG
posted January 08, 2002 10:12 PM            
try that line test in the other thread.
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001730.html

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited January 08, 2002).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 09, 2002 04:16 AM            
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/675856;105680;70f0ce5e3ed81d943b64130478f8e864;1.25;atl.speakeasy.net

Tweaked it a little tonight

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited January 09, 2002).]

IP:

wolfman
posted January 09, 2002 06:07 PM            
Would be happy to host a server with vlads mods as well.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 10, 2002 03:20 PM         
Hey Supe,
I have some potentially bad news for you regarding server requirements. I took averages from my 3 servers upload vs. dload rates and they came out to 6 to 1. This has been with rather light server usage of late. I can only imagine how it is with warm bodies. You may want to contact your DSL provider and complain that your upload rates are not as advertised. Don't tell em it is for a game server, of course .

Still, if your netrate was set to 5kbps, you should supposedly be able to server 20 people . I think that the major lag producing events are ppl connecting- no telling how high those spike. Actually, if someone wants to do some icq + server tests with me, I would love to estimate loads per user and connection. I am on ICQ right now...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 10, 2002 04:08 PM            
Its usually higher than what is showed in that test.I get around 200kbps everytime I test it(and I've tested it 100 times,not exagerating ).Probablly just some congestion when I ran the test..?200 should handle 8 or more with no problems.Theres no way to tweak upload speed unfortunantly

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted January 14, 2002 03:52 PM            
Super,
Are you planning to run it on your main machine, or do you have another one dedicated to it?
Also, what OS are you running?
I have an older box set up with NT server at home. I just use it for local games as I live in the "country" where DSL and cable internet providers apparently fear to tread. (No) pun intended. In any case, dial up is bad enough for playing much less anything else.
The same machine is dual boot with Linux. I would much rather host the game from a Linux OS, but don't have all the parts together (if they even actually exist yet). Wine (windows emulator)is definitely not enough.
Anyway, if I can be of any help let me know.
mELON cRACKER [LWA]

IP: