|
Author Topic:   Europe servers!!
-DNX-Ni
posted January 07, 2002 10:03 PM            
Good point brought to light by HUT!! Maybe experimental, but I and most likely a few others would like to see more servers based this side of the Atlantic!!

Who's got the wheelings an dealings for it?

------------------
Lemon Curry?!?!

[This message has been edited by -DNX-Ni (edited January 07, 2002).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 07, 2002 10:55 PM         
All it take is a decent upload rate (DSL or Cable modem) tho host a good sized gathering ~8. What kinds of high speed service is available in the EU?

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted January 07, 2002 11:04 PM            
Well, I personally haven't got access to hosting, but we do have the same as you lot! The best I could get is cable here, but I can't afford it on my puny monthly income

------------------
Lemon Curry?!?!

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted January 08, 2002 07:33 AM            
I would be willing to set up a server on this side of the pond Weekends/Evenings)

I've have ISDN (64K only no bonding on my ISP)
The problem is I use a Router (Netgear) to allow multi-systems to connect to the net under NAT (Network Address Translation),
this is a problem when running TM servers.

Here is the question If I turn the NAT off then i assume only one system can connect (using the ISPs IP No.).
If so would the folling work a system is set up with 2 Network cards 1 set to the ISP and one set for the LAN, To allow Email/Internet access for the LAN systems what software would I need router, proxy, mixture ?????.

The TM server is set up on this system and so would have access to internet and the requried ports to allow the data flow between it and the clients.

Hmm just had a through what if the system was set up a a gateway for the LAN and was Running TM server how would that work

Am I barking up the right tree Or am I out of it

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 08, 2002 09:21 AM         
I *think* there should be no problem with your current system as long as the server is located on the server that is directly connected to the internet (external IP). The operation of a server should not interfere with your NAT clients dloading email or browsing (of course, you should try to limit it when a game is afoot). I don't know how it would work for a server located on one of the clients. I belive their IP is masked or only exists inside the local network. Hope that helps...

BTW, do you use Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)? I do and it is trouble free once set up correctly. Here is the a nice tutorial on it: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Treadhead tested, Girlfriend dissaproved ;)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 08, 2002 10:40 AM            
Isnt MPZ over here Ni ?

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted January 08, 2002 11:01 AM            
ummm... I think so but their servers are never up!! Seen em once or twice for a bit!!!

------------------
Lemon Curry?!?!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 08, 2002 04:15 PM            
Speaking of MPZ.......where did they go?JV and myself worked hard to get those servers then they up nd vanish.They had the servers up for only a month.

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted January 08, 2002 04:29 PM            
Thanks Weatherman
Just had a look at the link, It looks like somthing I can handle, I'm sure I'v got a spare net card floting about some where :-)

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 08, 2002 06:00 PM            
well dreamer is the fella for interfacing with mpz, maybe he can give mighty mike a ring or whoever does whatever lol......

then tell em we want the servers baclk or they loose the link on dmf lol

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 08, 2002 06:37 PM         
They went away from lack of traffic - like all commerical servers seem to do. I don't think we can promise them enough players to keep them giving us free server time. I think the solution has to be a personal server.
my .02 Euro

IP:

HUT
posted January 08, 2002 07:17 PM            
For arrangement of server near Poland, I will give back own kidney, I have two.
Best wishes, Henryk

LOL = Legion Of Ladykiller.

[This message has been edited by HUT (edited January 08, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 08, 2002 08:09 PM            
that sux......

IP:

KONG
posted January 08, 2002 08:48 PM            
I asked mike about a month ago. he said he was goin to set one up. but the mpz/tm staff have to configure it. Dont think it will show on the master server. you will probably have to connect through mpz. the setup interface is a mindbender,(for me anyway). I gave up about halfway through. u must enter everything by hand, including the dedicated config file. Once setups and mods are entered I think they can be saved and recalled for later use. And I still really dont know if he ever allocated a server for TM. Hope Dreamer will read this and maybe fill in some of the blanks. I get a terrible ping to UK servers but will play on it if we could get it set up. More ppl from TM registering at MPZ wouldn't hurt either. That is pretty much why they set up servers?

Oh yeah. they have been pretty busy over there, they redid the website and game formats. some new games are now supported. CFS2?

------------------
Ah, I feel wefweshed! Kongs-Maps

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited January 08, 2002).]

IP:

KONG
posted January 09, 2002 01:21 AM            
well no server yet at mpz. from what i gather, you will have to send them payment to recieve credits on the mpz network. you can use these credits to book server time for yourself your team or clan. server will be customized to your specs. more time= more credits= more money. I think they will have one dedicated server for each game format. But if you want something special, you have to pay for it. From what I read today, this seems to be the way things stand at MPZ. I guess we,ll just have to wait and see.

------------------
"Can you dig it? I knew that you could." Kongs-Maps

IP:

HUT
posted January 09, 2002 02:44 PM            
What "that sux..." for, Matrix ?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 09, 2002 07:43 PM            
It sux that we cant provide enough players to keep the UK MPZ servers running.

IP:

KONG
posted January 09, 2002 09:33 PM            
c'mon, one of you guys has to have a decent connection or access to a company/university lan?

------------------
"Can you dig it? I knew that you could." Kongs-Maps

IP: