|
Author Topic:   Odd AI behavior
synack
posted January 06, 2002 03:12 PM         
I was on Para's DDM server, and there were just me and two AI's. We were on the same team, so they ignored me.

I was puzzled by their behavior. They already had weapons, and yet they were shuffling back and forth underneath weapon spawns, apparently trying to grab the weapon.

Anyone else ever seen this behavior? Weird.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 06, 2002 11:57 PM            
yes i get that now n then in the bz mod - i was curious, picks up a weapons, moves 5 yards, goes about face, grabs sumthin else, about face and just gets stuck in a gosub return loop.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 07, 2002 04:06 AM            
Was noticing invisible objects too.I wasn't the only one running into an invisible wall.Maybe artifacts of something that shouldn't be there?They were located at the spawn points like a invisible tank was there and not moving.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted January 09, 2002 07:03 AM            
AACCKK!!!! IT WIZ THE GHOST O THE TRED MERKS SERVIRS!! A HEY HERD TALES O THIS GHOSTY IT WAITS FIR YEE AT THE SPAWNIN POINT ...YIL NEVIR SEE IT TAY......AND ON THOSE LONNNEEELLY NICKTS ON THE SERVIRS ...YIL HEER ITS EEERY TREADS GRINDIN AN CLIKIN ACROSS THE FEILD.....BUT YE WILLNAY SEE IT

BEEWAARREEE ALL YEEEE MORTALLSS O THA GHOST O THA SERVIIRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

and now a word from our sponsors

------------------
Grind n' Click , Lock n' Load

IP:

synack
posted January 09, 2002 07:55 AM         
You are a certified nut!

and you fit right in

IP:

JVortex
posted January 09, 2002 12:03 PM            
well, i have what may be the beginning of an answer to this problem.

with all the map testing i was doing on the SR pack i did notice something consistant about AI behavior in regards to spawn points.

(i had to do a lot of watching AI behavior in both race and DM mode to make sure the AI was handling the maps/ race courses correctly and altering maps as needed. man did that take some time!)

in a DM match when an AI is unarmed the AI tells it to head for the nearest spawn point and grab a weapon. then it tells the tank to head off and trash the nearest enemy. if an enemy isnt really close, then on its way the AI is instructed to go and grab any powerups (ammo/ health) that appear near by in hopes that it happens to be ammo. (this is why you will sometimes see a full health AI grab health powerups when it doesnt need them. i guess the AI cant tell what kind of powerup is there, just that a powerup class of ent has spawned).

i assume there is some sort of a meter based distance scale thingy built in so that the armed AI will only go and grab powerups that are within a certain distance of it on its intended path. the exception to this is apparently when an AI's health reaches a low number, probably 10% is my guess as its a nice round number. then its instructed to leave the fight and head for the nearest powerup. probably in hopes that its health.

so chances are that since there are situations built in that tell an AI to head for a spawn point even when its armed (which i think is a fairly new "feature" cause i think i remember in earlier versions the AI's ignoring powerups and just randomly hitting them) that there are just still glitches in that part of the AI's code that can cause it to head for a spawn point and grab whats there and then skip the part where it acknowledges the fact that it picked something up and just continue trying to pick things up. even tho it cant. it just doesnt realize it has anything.

heres a theory tho to try next time you see an AI doing this. go up and ram the tank. a direct "mesh to mesh" collision ive noticed will usually make an injured AI stop running away and turn and fight. some kind of a bounding box trigger i guess. in theory that should set off a new trigger on a "spawn point stuck" AI as well.

blah blah blah.. i know, long post.

later!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

synack
posted January 09, 2002 12:33 PM         
interesting ...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 09, 2002 02:43 PM         
But what does it mean?

IP:

Karldar
posted January 09, 2002 03:51 PM            
Well, from what I've observed while playing(esp. 1.5+), severely wounded AI always head for the nearest powerup(ammo/health) spawn point. Seems like they're headin' for spanners most of the time, but I don't know that they can actually sniff them out or not. I seem to recall a few times that I've had wounded bots pass by superammo for spanners further away, but I could be insane in the membrane .

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP: