|
Author Topic:   How did you start playing TM?
-DNX-Ni
posted January 03, 2002 12:23 PM            
This most likely has been asked but my reason to it this time is for newbies to see where a lot of the regulars are coming from.

it is in respect to Guido's thread where some people may think they can swear and cuss freely, and it IS a free world, but it might help new-comers to understand the general scope of types of people and make them realise it's like being in a room of strangers.

Some of the strangers are young but come into the room a lot and become aquainted with who are already there. but in TM there really is no way to know who are playing til we get to know them.

Myself, it was coincedental where I was browsing download.com and looking for something. The search led me to TM and I was curious to the description. rest is history.

remember the photo album of the regulars is at http://www.dnxworld.homestead.com/photoalbum.html

------------------
Lemon Curry?!?!

[This message has been edited by -DNX-Ni (edited January 03, 2002).]

IP:

MexIndian
posted January 03, 2002 12:45 PM            
Peeeto got me into it. He is my co-worker. I played one time, and that's that. I like TM because contrary to many games, I dig the ppl. So refreshing to not be mad, or stressed as you're playing, but laugh when you get fragged (and it makes it fun to throw down the gautlet at particulars during gameplay also).

------------------
Quarter-Mexican.... Quarter-Indian... Quarter- fragging extravaganza, and a healthy helping of sometimes-not-so-good-at-this-game.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted January 03, 2002 02:15 PM            
Basically the same an Ni. Saw it on download.com and grabbed a copy. Played it single player for a while then went into multiplayer and shortly purchased the full version. The rest is becoming a longer history every day. Love this game and the people who play it. Great group of very diverse people.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted January 03, 2002 02:33 PM         
Skillfully

IP:

MexIndian
posted January 03, 2002 02:38 PM            
lol

------------------
Quarter-Mexican.... Quarter-Indian... Quarter- fragging extravaganza, and a healthy helping of sometimes-not-so-good-at-this-game.

IP:

ping of death
posted January 03, 2002 02:57 PM         
I read a review in Novell Connection. TM was the game of the month. I downloaded the demo, and haven't stopped playing since.

IP:

synack
posted January 03, 2002 03:07 PM         
I heard the sound of a dentist's drill, and the maniacal laughter of two colleagues as I passed their offices. The drill was, of course, the ramdrill. They had downloaded the demo and were playing over the LAN. I grabbed a copy of the demo and my hands have been cramping up ever since.

IP:

King John 1st
posted January 03, 2002 03:50 PM            
Got a demo from the cover of a mag before the end of 2000 and played a couple of people over Xmas, after which I bought the full game and used to play on sheldon's? and NGI servers (great community that was) with the odd foray onto the full servers until the demo server was made inaccessible in the full game, so it sat on the shelf while I carried on with the demo until NGI closed it.
Dusted off the full version and with a couple of american patches from Jim (LDA) and several more addons, happened upon you lot!

Who's a fortunate son!

IP:

Paranor
posted January 03, 2002 05:09 PM            
Purchased DX-BALL2, was looking for updates, saw this "tank racing" game - thought yuck, who wants to race tanks? A few months later I was getting some more add-ons for DX-BALL2 and thought what the heck. Haven't played DX-BALL2 since!

IP:

Hawk
posted January 03, 2002 05:32 PM            
Kaeto bugged me until I downloaded Beta 2. :p

------------------
Viva la Temporal Chaos!

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted January 03, 2002 06:20 PM            
Same as Ping of Death. I saw it in Novell Connection, downloaded the demo, and haven't quit playing it since.
mELON cRACKER [LWA]

IP:

ARAGON
posted January 03, 2002 06:25 PM            
When Paranor first started playing he told me about it. I played the demo racing game and thought, BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRING. But then over the next several months he and Tiggs kept playing it and talking about it. So I was over one night and saw him play the online portion of it and well know I keep playing it and talking about it......

------------------
Honey, you watch Lifetime movies for 10 hours straight.......why can't I play TM for 10 hours?

[This message has been edited by ARAGON (edited January 03, 2002).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 03, 2002 07:00 PM            
download.com

IP:

Karldar
posted January 03, 2002 07:30 PM            
Well, lessee-I used to have a subscription to PCX(before they went away) and the TM v1.0 demo was on one of the CDs that came with the mag(still got it around here somewhere). That was almost 2 yrs ago. Played single player race(didn't realize that I could battle til after I got the full ver-sad, huh?) til my fingers hurt. Liked it so much I got the full ver and finally decided to try MP after realizing that it might be more fun to go up against other people instead of bots. In spite of being subjected to the insane ramblings of Dudymas, Kaeto and Hawk I decided to stick around .

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Hammer
posted January 03, 2002 08:03 PM            
I had downloaded the demo from c-net.com just kind of found it. The first demo I had offered a number of maps which I liked and played for a year or so. Then I had a serious problem with my computer only solution was to reformat the hard drive. When I next went to download the demo it had changed to it's current version which only offers the Ramp as a map. I decided to buy the full version and after awhile started to play on the servers. Although I have been playing this game for a while I still get the crap knocked out of me even from newbie's! Maybe that's why I like it so much? I can't win.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted January 03, 2002 10:23 PM            
Paranor talked about this game a lot to me. One night when he was watching my kids for me he downloaded the demo only to find out that my on board video card would not work with it. So a couple of day later I picked up a new video card played the game a couple of times and thought "yeah...its a game". I decided to buy the full version. It came in the mail, installed it and played it a little more. Then one day Paranor finally got me to play online and I was hooked.

------------------
click...click...BOOM!!
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 03, 2002 10:23 PM            
First demo was on a CD that gaming magizine distibute monthly.Played it for a while but had a really sucky machine that could barley push it.Wiped my hard drive and forgot about it until I saw a review somewhere one day.I had a much faster computer by then,downloaded it,and haven't stopped playing.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 03, 2002 10:50 PM            
grabbed it off download.com the same day as i got the open gl tronbikes game.....

TM - hmm tanks, racing, fragging, plays like bz, moddable - HOOKED went out next day and bought it

IP:

JVortex
posted January 04, 2002 01:37 AM            
well i guess im the bad boy of the group .

i was up late one nite browsing god knows what and was attacked by a pop up window. just about then my cat leaps up on the keyboard while i was stretching and rolled over to be petted. who knows what all buttons he hit but i was sent to a page that had a game called Tread Marks for download. sounded odd enough so i clicked at it and read the description. sounded good so i grabbed it.

it was the rip version of TM, so i got to start off w/ a full version instead of a demo. problem was that not all the files were intact, so i had to take my rip and supliment a few files from another source to get it all put together and working. took some doing, but it worked pretty well.

i was instantly hooked and embarked on a month long quest to find it retail. ive been a happy little modder ever since .

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted January 04, 2002 03:24 PM            
Unlike most of the players here I never saw or heard about the demo.
I was in the local computer game store and saw the TM box on the shelf and through I've not got a tank type game Ill try this.
I think its one of the best snap decisions I've made.

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 04, 2002 07:21 PM            
I read the article in Game Developer about the (now) Seumas McNally award when LDA had won. I then dl'd the demo.

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted January 06, 2002 08:13 AM            
i was peruseing a local game store (electronics boutique)cheking out all the games on the shelv, piking them up to chek the screenshots on the bak (thats how i choose my games...laim huh? lol)when i saw TM so i piked it up cheked the sceens and thought ...."*sniff*...ye...looks ok" turned it over and saw it was only 3buks!! so i thought..."ye dude y not" played one player...d/l some mods and thought "this is killer" didnt think id be able to play online cos of my software modem..then i realised id got a new modem lol and i got good pings...and then that was me hooked , love the people love the game

------------------
Grind n' Click , Lock n' Load

IP:

swisher
posted January 06, 2002 09:30 AM            
3dfiles.com

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

HUT
posted January 07, 2002 02:05 PM            
I've downloaded TM shareware version long time ago. I was bored with this game very quickly. It's very easy to win with computer.

When I had connection to the Internet at my home, it was the first game launched to test how it is to play in network. I start my first game on NGI server. I was fascinated in playing with thinking persons, and still I am. When NGI server had been closed I was very sad. There was no other server where I could play in shareware version of TreadMarks. I could't buy full version of this game in Poland. In this moment I want to thank my friend Bondzo Dog very much. He guess that I can't reach this game and bought it for me and send it to Poland as a gift. I will never forget it.

When I have a time and good transfer rate in network i like to play with You. I love TreadMarks.

Hey, mayby someone will think about setting up a TreadMarks server in Europe.
Best wishes Henryk

[This message has been edited by HUT (edited January 08, 2002).]

IP:

A2597
posted January 07, 2002 02:45 PM            
I may have the crazyest yet!

I'm a BIG B5 fan as you know,
sooo, whilst browsing firstones.com some posted about a cools screensaver called particle fire, saying he was watching it when suddenly the text "WE MISS YOU BABYLON 5" poped up. I had to see it, and LOVED the screensaver, I then DLed DX ball, LOVED IT! then I looked at when else was there, Saw treadmarks, DLed the shareware version (With three maps/tanks/all weapons)
got online, saw it was modable, made weapons (After a freak accident led me to see HOW you mod the demo) and got the full version a couple months ago. (After trying for over a year!

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP: