|
Author Topic:   adult game or kiddie game ?????
guido 1
posted January 01, 2002 11:29 AM         
as we all know tm is a man's game , an adult game . i believe we must all realize as men we can be a bit cruel and say things we don't mean ..... just ask your wives or girlfreinds after an argument , how mean and cruel you were , ( perspective ?? ) . my point is this is not a kiddie game , men play it and sometimes use off color language . kids should be playin luigi's mansion . games on their level , or they can play tm on the single player . i agree foul language should be kept at a minimum , but it will occur . i think ddm matches should be considered for adults only , no kiddies , consider the men too . ddm servers are basically adult servers , alowing men to play a mans game , well that's my 2 cents . i really don't want to have to play tm's on the kiddie level , they have their games and we as men have OURS ! ! ! we shouldn't have to talk and play like sissy mary's for fear of upsetting the parents of kiddies who should be playin kiddie games and not a mans game . war is after all hell , besides kids hear much worse at school from their peers , the reality is when not within parents earshot kiddies do cuss , i did .... we all did . lets keep it in perspective ..... it's a mans game , lets not effemenize it , we men need somethin to call our own ! ! ! BTW read the R2R thread and help create a good new clan , or not .... it's your free will , so use it or lose it ...... hehe .... fun .

IP:

synack
posted January 01, 2002 12:08 PM         
I respectfully disagree.

TM is a game for all ages, as far as I'm concerned.

Just my $.02

IP:

KONG
posted January 01, 2002 12:22 PM            
women are welcome too.

------------------
Mongo only pawn, in game of life.

IP:

guido 1
posted January 01, 2002 12:43 PM         
i believe the vast majority of players are men . not kids , or women . no one should be excluded , i'm not sayin that at all , ( is somethin wrong with my english ??? ) i mean i as a man paid for the game , and i like playin it . none the less sometimes things get a bit crude and if we keep apologizin all the time we will never get to play . you mean 15 guy's must alway's be on their guard and not let out the odd expletive in case some girl might be offended ???? if a few remarks easily offend , think from a christian view point how all this fraggin must look to the wee ones ........ jeeez . alway's has to be somethin to pick about .

IP:

reddog
posted January 01, 2002 01:25 PM         
On my box that TM came in it says for 3+, we should all remember that what is late at night in one country is school leaving off time in another, it is best to keep the swearing off for that alone.
But then again we all make mistakes and we can all learn from them.
Keep it descent.

Red Dog

IP:

NeoKi
posted January 01, 2002 02:06 PM            
Listen guido, i'm 15 and i'v been playing way longer then you have, and i'v heard the things that some of the older people say and it's not that bad. I remember one night a guy cussed me out for tellin him to try not to cuss, and that sucked, but just to let you know: the majority of people who are really bad with cussing don't read this board, or at least don't post here. So in a way you kinda wasting you time here. Oh and TM is nether a kiddie game nor a Adult game, it's social game. Witch is one reason why I really like it.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

guido 1
posted January 01, 2002 02:43 PM         
i'm thrilled you like the game , and i thought you changed your name to Sage ??? sorry you were cussed out , i bet that never happened to you while playin Everquest huh ??? hehe btw ..... kong only pawn in game of life . well my feelings are the same as i said above ....... it's my story and i'm stickin with it ..... hehe .... fun .

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 01, 2002 02:49 PM            
I whole heartedly disagree, If you take time from playing to actually stop and type in a cuss word you are making a conscious effort to cuss. It's not like it slipped out or anything, like a fart in church.

You are wanting someone to read a foul word, come on, if you can take time to stop playing and type it you can at least use @#$#% ppl know that means your pissed, you don't have to get graphic to get the point across. Unless your talking about two ppl actually cussing each other out and then that belongs on ICQ.

You wouldn't stand in a public place and yell cuss words. This community is a virtual public place stretching from California to Germany and anybody who has purchased the game has just as much right to not read the foul words as you do to say them.

My clan is proud to have one of the youngest members in TM. Now that you know that I would expect you to respect that especially since you are trying to start a clan yourself. Clans are about community not adults.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 01, 2002 03:46 PM            
LDA is a family owned bussiness. Meant for a range of ages and sexes.

Seriously why can't you keep your "typing" clean, Which takes more time away from gameplay?!!

Why bother us with this post, come-on this something so fundamental its stupid; I'm not going to waste my time writing anymore.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted January 01, 2002 03:56 PM            
My eight year old nephew has played the game several times.Kids these days grow up playing games and they can handle something that we think might be too complex for them...granted he prob couldn't play a realistic flight sim game
You usually find the older more mature players keeping everybody in check.I have found my self typing out cuss words out of frustration but I know everybody I'm playing with at the time and know they are all adults.I wouldn't even hink of doing it if I wasn't sure.

IP:

guido 1
posted January 01, 2002 04:01 PM         
well ididn't want to say that this certain leader from lwa said the poop word that begins with s a few day's ago , but as an administrator he should practice what he preaches ...... it happens thats all i meant , so lets not keep harpin on it as if holyer than thou .

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 01, 2002 04:12 PM            
I to need to work on swearing on-line which I keep to a minimum and end up regretting after I say, apparently have to regret several days afterwards too.

Although if we were to judge people on past words and actions.....

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

guido 1
posted January 01, 2002 04:41 PM         
so was the intent of tm's to compete with say , monopoly , or yahtzee as a fun game for the entire family ??? i'm sure young people do like the game , why shouldn't they ? i just believe that most men got the game because of the tanks and weapons and such .... i doubt they thought " finally a fraggin good time for the entire family to enjoy " . i mean i wouldn't have got past the demo if the tanks were cute little cars or animals or whatever , these tanks aren't shooting nerfs .... it's too violent for little kids . what next ???? kiddie clans all over the game servers ???? how do we check i.d.'s ?? as an adilt i don't want to go around fraggin little kids . how about a ddm for Luigi's mansion then i could play that with'em . tm really is meant to me to be for mature audiences , sometimes you just have to tell the wee ones they can't play untill they are older , they might whine for awhile , but they'll get over it .

IP:

Irascible
posted January 01, 2002 08:08 PM            
"it's a mans game , lets not effemenize it"

The implication seems to be that cussing is manly and having a controlled tongue, or typing finger as the case may be, is effeminate. It's rather the opposite. As you so eloquently (cough) pointed out, any boy can cuss a blue streak. It takes a mature adult, a "man", to control oneself.

IP:

KONG
posted January 01, 2002 08:12 PM            
hey guido, stop jerkin everyones chain. would someone recruit this guy already!!!

IP:

JVortex
posted January 02, 2002 06:31 AM            
really, all in all, youre all right. in theory, yes it would be nice if no one cussed just in case there were kids around. also in theory it would be nice to be able to cuss as much as you please.

this isnt really even one of those "two sides of the same coin" kind of issues, its more like looking at one side of the coin thru a kalidescope (bad spelling i think there ).

for the most part there isnt really any extensive swearing that goes on on the servers, that i know of anyhow. granted i havent been on the servers in a while, but i dont think things have changed that much.

what we really need is a chat filter built into TM that can be passworded by parents and to just be done with it. someone shouyld suggest that to jim.

if someone is being especially foul mouthed normally asking them to ease off will work pretty ok, tho NeoKi the Sage did make a good point. those who wont stop are the same arse holes who dont read the boards. so posts such as this are pointless. except to relieve boredom, which is what im doing now .

and Kevlar, i have to disagree with you that accidental swearing while typing doesnt occur. when im tired or have been typing/ chatting a lot durring the day i have often been known to swear on accident while typing and ive even type entire sentences that i meant to THINK and had no intention of typing! silly as can be i know, but true, lol .

tis the hazards of being an experienced enough typist that all you do is think at your hands and they type whats on your mind. i seemed to type a lot less BS and get to the point a little better when i couldnt type as well and had to stop and think about where each letter was at, hehehe.

ok, ill shut up now, demi-rant over .

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 02, 2002 08:35 AM            
I agree JV it is possible to slip and cuss. I am, by no means, trying to be a language police. But the topic of this thread is not:

"Is it ok to slip and cuss..."
the topic is
"It is ok to slip and cuss, but we are mostly adults here so cussing should be deemed ok. Oh and let's put an ''R2D2'' clan together of non-minors who will go around cussing no matter who's on the server, because we da' man!" (I embellished a little, lol)

With that part I happen disagree.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 02, 2002 09:40 AM            
This is the only game I allow my kids to play online because I'm 99% confident any server they attach to will not have any problems. Once in a while someone will type in "damn" and all I need to do is inform them that there is a kid onboard in case they start to use worse language - which I've only seen once and he doesnt play anymore. The regulars are all great guys!

So it's a family game if you ask me.

------------------
...yeah honey, one more game and I'll be done. NOT!
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.

IP:

ping of death
posted January 02, 2002 12:41 PM         
Trademarks is probably one of my all time favorites. Both my kids play. I would never tell them not to play.

IP:

guido 1
posted January 02, 2002 06:53 PM         
yesterday morning i was on a server and when informed there were little ones playing i said " OK " and went on to another server , np for me to go to another server . still if you ask me kids that are very young would proably have more fun on the single player game where they could play bots set to 0 difficulty , and play with the romulan warbird or starship with all the cool weapons . even the satanic one . i don't want to frag kiddies and then their dad says quit fraggin the little ones . i'm there for target practice and so rather than go thru all that ( sigh ) i'll just go elswhere to play .

IP:

LordDrow
posted January 03, 2002 11:53 AM            
Isn't this whole bit just a rehash of a thread we had floating around once before anyway?

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

NeoKi
posted January 03, 2002 12:23 PM            
I don't mean to sound offending but..... SHUT UP!!! Dang, we have already come to a conclusion that TM much like many other games is not an adult game. Now lets talk about something that really matters, like ME.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

guido 1
posted January 03, 2002 09:18 PM         
now look what i've done ...... sniff , i've gone and upset the teenager SAGE , it is sage now isn't it ?????? sorry i am trying to relate to .... to .... your age group , i'll try really hard not to upset you sage , i just want to be politically correct , no matter how i really feel in my convictions .... that doesn't matter in the NEW WORLD ORDER . hehehehe ..... Guido only rook in game of life ...... well that's not bad , Kong is only pawn in game of life ..... rook to kong pawn ... fun .

IP: