|
Author Topic:   A little help with my G-Card please!!!
NeoKi
posted December 29, 2001 12:43 AM            
You see, about two weeks ago, I got a new Graphics car, a NVidia G-Force2 MX 400 PCI. Before, I had a 8meg Ati Rage Pro Turbo APG, witch was built into my system. Well anyway, my system doesn't detect my new card, I mean it does in some way but when we (Me and my dad) insert the disc with the drives on it, it stats that it cannot find the proper drivers on the disc. My dad says that we could try disabling the APG card, but that would mean that we wouldn't be able to see windos when it loads up.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

KONG
posted December 29, 2001 01:04 AM            
did u try to disable the onboard graphics on the motherboard? there should be a jumper switch on there somewhere. if that does not work, you can always reset the switch. I hate HP and COMpaq MB's.

IP:

Paranor
posted December 29, 2001 01:08 AM            
You can disable it - windows will run in standard VGA until a video driver is loaded.

And always use the drivers from their web site - CD might be old.

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 29, 2001 01:51 AM            
Yeah, what you wanna do is this :

Go to www.nvidia.com and get the latest drivers (or your video card manufacturers if the card has features like TV-Out that you want to use)

Shut off your computer, disable the onboard video.

Start windows. It will start in 640x480 in 16 colors. It should say it found the card, blah blah blah. Don't give it anything.

Install the drivers you downloaded off Nvidia's website (you might wanna print the instructions beforehand)

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted December 29, 2001 02:17 AM            
I had to do the same thing with my on board graphics. Shut off, disable and install new. I had a problem installing the new driver. Screen went goofy and had to guess my way through it. Good luck.

------------------
=DNX= Tiggs
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.
Click...Click...BOOM!

IP:

Rex R
posted December 29, 2001 02:21 AM            
some times windows is rather stupid when it comes to locating drivers, in which case, locate the drivers using windows explorer(or equivelent)(look for drivers, 9x drivers, me drivers, or something like that) then when it says 'where are they' there should be an option to browse. do so and point windows to the proper directory/folder. with a bit of luck windows should be able to proceed from there. had the same prob when I changed vid cards. once you get it up and running, track down the drivers for the old card, zip them and move them somewhere else from where they were(folder named 'old vid card drivers' will work) HTH

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted December 29, 2001 03:32 AM            
I think you will have problems as long as the old ATI card is still enabled. Here's what I would do:
1. Set video card driver to Standard VGA.
2. Disable ATI card.
3. Make sure BIOS and jumpers are set for add-in card.
4. Install new card.
5. You should be able to boot up normally on new card and run setup for drivers for new card.
I have been through many cards in the last year, and that works for practically all.
Let us know if you still have a problem.

IP: