|
Author Topic:   new os
guido 1
posted December 25, 2001 07:07 PM         
any one heard of the new os called Lindows . saw it on tech tv www.lindows.com . it's a linux based os that can run linux or windows software .... sounds too good to be true . btw ms is suing lindows to change their name . is bg scared of this os ?????? . GTMK .

IP:

KONG
posted December 25, 2001 08:26 PM            
its a spoof dude

------------------
WHY BOTHER?...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 25, 2001 10:25 PM            
not necessarily kong, linux has a windows emulator for it which can run about 80% of the software - the goal is to get it too 100%.

A multi platform Os has been on the cards for years - BeOS for example - a true multimedia Os.

Traditionally Linux installes onto an unformatted drive unlike windows - Corel Linux alows them to co-exist on the same partition (i think - correct me if im wrong)....

Mac Os & DOS/Gemapps gave birth to the Amiga Os (workbench) while the atari st stood a more solid mac base - both amiga and st btw had motorola MC680xx chips in them same as mac.

amiga Os was a combination of the best of mac and dos and unix and mac. amiga os eventually evolved into the BeOS we see today.

another good example of coding evolvement is the comparisons of AREXX to some modern scripting languages....

My only hatred is that today everything is modular coded in languages that need to go thru an interpreter before being processed - had Win 95/98/me/2000/nt/xp been coded in machine language we would be running the software at about 50x its current speeds.

Eg: run linux on a 486 dx2-66 with 24 megs ram and u will see what i mean.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 26, 2001 12:29 AM            
I'm know of it....it's been around for a while now.Its not a spoof...the real deal.MS just files a lawsuit as a matter of fact.Its supposed to have the attributes of Linux and Windows wrapped into on OS.

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 26, 2001 12:32 AM            
Matrix, all modern OS's that I can think of off the top of my head are compiled. A decent modern compiler is usually faster than hand-written code for larger programs.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 26, 2001 07:29 AM            
true keato, but it still has to be in 1's and 0's before the comp can process it in binary and relay that info back to the user through whatever method - machine code would i think be far faster if less flexible. The more processes the data has to take to get a result the slower it gets.

Im no computer expert, but i do know that if dreamer (for example) posted in german text, i would need to convert that to read it, type my response, then convert the response into german to reply.

One word.... "COBOL" **shudder** lol.

for the less techie types cobol isnt the council of the 12 from battlestar galactica - it stands for "COmmon Business Oriented Language" - environments *YUCK* lol...

And who remembers, Pilot, Modular, Algol, Basic or Z80 !

hehehe im an old duffer huh

-=Deleted double click spam== {coax}

[This message has been edited by coax (edited December 26, 2001).]

IP:

swisher
posted December 26, 2001 10:12 AM            
Hey...COBOL is my language of choice.

I'm too old.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 26, 2001 12:19 PM            
hehe, did u know that german was 1 vote from being the US national language?

------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 27, 2001 04:18 PM            
Matrix, compiled code is translated into machine code ahead of time. It used to be true that compilers sucked because unlike a programmer, they couldn't do things to optimize the program (for instance, if you know your program will branch one way 99% of the time, you can do things to make that branch faster), but now they're generally better at it than humans are. Now interpreted languages do suck, because every bit of code is translated just before it's executed, which means performance is quite bad.

IP:

synack
posted December 27, 2001 06:17 PM         
Please stop!

You're dragging me back into the 70's where I started as a Cobol programmer.

(at least I understood the underlying assembler and machine code, and could find my way through a 6" thick printout of a core dump at 3am. Such fun, it was (not).)

IP:

Rex R
posted December 27, 2001 08:18 PM            
is that back when they had water powered puters(and to increase performance you could kink the hose) and when you had a core dump you had to get a mop

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 27, 2001 11:33 PM            
gotchya kaeto, its been 10 years since i studied any programming, and even then it was 4gl-prolog and Unix os 9.

so how many old dudes we got in here ? who can tell me what these acronyms mean:

Algol
Pilot
Plot
Turtle
Basic
Pascal
Modula
Fortran
Prolog
AREXX

(some red herrings in there to weed out the smarty pants lol)

Who can remember before Windows ? GEMAPPS anyone ?

gem-paint, ah yes 16 colours :9 fun fun fun 320x200 res.

anyone remember the old RM Nimbus machines ?

Come on name some really old puters, ill start u off:

Einstein
Newbrain
enterprise
Dragon 32
Vic 20 / Pet / SX-64
Spectrum QL
Amstrad CPC 464
Oric Atmos
BBC Micro B

Lets show these young'uns where we've been LOL !

God, the oric - 1 sound channel, 1k ram, tape drive and a plok plok keyboard.

hehehehehe

IP: