|
Author Topic:   I'M EXCITED - NEW TOY!
Paranor
posted December 20, 2001 04:54 PM            
I'm a nerd and need to spread my happiness.

I'm pumped - I borrowed a "TV-iew Gold" device from the AV department. it will dump the output from my computer monitor to a RCA jack. So I'm going to dump that to a VCR tape and then reimport as a RealPlayer file to have the best compression. Super and Weatherman have seen what I can do with my $70 import device.

So we just might have a "tredamarks movie" yet!

If this works out I'm going to tape an entire DDM and then create the best of clips.

Or maybe help Kevlar with the examples of the weapons.

maybe even tape the clan war. ASSUMING PEOPLE SHOW UP! HINT HINT!

EDIT: If someone knows of these devices that I can purchase cheaply let me know! I don't want to buy a new video card - I already have a nice one for playing games.

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited December 20, 2001).]

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 20, 2001 05:41 PM            
Cool! Do you have a Dazzler too (import device), mine cost a hair more than $70

I'll bet those TV-iew's are not too cheap either.

Can't wait to see it.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 20, 2001 06:29 PM         
Kool Par - sounds like a neat idea. Someone needs to make you a camera tank - one that is transparent, super tall and stable wit a lot of armor - that way you can use mouse look to film battles from above.

IP:

=DNX=goku
posted December 20, 2001 07:19 PM            
ahh par dont need anything special just make a huge cube with like a mini camra on top for looks

------------------
KameHaMeHa boom!!! you all are gone hehe

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 20, 2001 09:05 PM            
hrmmm, Free Look and moving the mouse with it on would alow u ALOT of freedom in taping btw, for Photo taking tank....etc u might want to make it almost like a GIANT Spider with legs that go REAL Far out but r like 1 whatever you'd call it thick. So thin that projectiles HOPEFULLY wouldn't hit it. If u made it big enough u could move in directly above a battle im progress flip on free look and move the mouse right into position to get over heard view, sideviews.....etc. The Weapon could be maybe a kick or speed booster, u would have the tank itself pretty slow so u could get in that "just right" postion BTW, if somebody can find me a 3d modeler thingy whatcha ma call it thats free and pretty easy to learn to use. I'll make the Camera Tank hehehehehehehe.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 21, 2001 01:27 AM            
really tall tanks are out. the camera does not change view point, all you see with a tall tank.. is the back side of your tank. better to get jv to whip ya up one that can cloak(he also knows how to fool the radar) oh jv, paging jv, you're wanted

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 21, 2001 01:46 AM         
like i sed - tall invisble tanks
i like the no radar signature thing-o-ma bob. is is possible to make tall, small crosssection and stable? would want to minimize collisions

IP:

Rex R
posted December 21, 2001 02:17 AM            
think you might have misunderstood, tall tanks do not give you a high vantage point, just a large bounding box. less lda has some undisclosed entity commands, AFAIK the only way to move the camera is free look. otherwise it stays bout 1.5>2 meters off the ground

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 21, 2001 08:36 AM         
Like I sed - it needs to be able to fly around the world , delivering presents to all the good girls and boys (guido too ) and shooting elves at all the bad little tanks out there. Ohhhhh - I bet a santa's Slay would be an interlesting new tank. Default weapon an elf launcher.

Hey, if you attach your camera to the turret, does it change height if the turret is at a different height than the default camera height-y-height-height?

IP:

Paranor
posted December 21, 2001 11:34 AM            
Found a link that sells multitude of brands - it looks like I can pick up a newer version for $80. The one I have is rather old and he thinks it maxes out at 800x600.

http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/ffpc2tv_2

Too bad X2 doesn't sell one - then their ads might be less annoying.

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited December 21, 2001).]

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted December 21, 2001 05:29 PM            
gold ant , ever herd of play thing 2?
u can get and chek it out here , duno if it will be of use 2 u its made by stainless http://dtd.niteshade.net/carma2_files.shtml

------------------
Grind n' Click , Lock n' Load

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 21, 2001 07:16 PM            
Hey Par, this is the one I have. http://www.dazzle.com/products/vidcr.html

But I have always had trouble making large videos into RealPlayer. Smaller ones, say no more that 15-20mb, work very well, but huge ones like 20 to 50 or more become choppy. I think because they are expecting it to be used as streaming video which are usually not giant files. So the bigger the file less smooth, so that it would theoretically load quicker for the internet. And I have even played around with the settings a lot.

But as long as its originally saved from the screen in high-res it should compress into other formats well. Maybe even use the new bootleg divx codec. Anybody that knows of Kazaa and Morphius knows what I'm talking about. An entire full length movie is about 300 to 500mb

IP:

JVortex
posted December 22, 2001 01:49 AM            
i could make an invisible well armored camera tank that didnt show up on the player list or on radar for ya if u wanted. the problem is that making such a tank it will be synched to the clients as well allowing them to log in with it. granted they wont know that its there unless they go to change their tank after logging in.

there is a possable fix for it tho i suppose... make it use a custom mesh that isnt included in the pack and is only on the host comp? might work. paranor, get ahold of me on ICQ at some point and lets see what can be whipped up for ya. shouldnt take too long to do up. 15 minutes tops id say.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

guido 1
posted December 22, 2001 02:17 AM         
yawn ..... GTMK

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted December 23, 2001 11:38 AM            
Once you have made the movie how about relesing the Out-takes, or is that planed for the DVD release

------------------
TM Tank drivers licence applied for

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 23, 2001 08:06 PM            
Hey Par I just converted a Christmas holiday home movie, captured from my cam-corder, 188mb to RealPlayer at 36mb and it actually turned out pretty good. I changed a few settings and it made the difference.

IP:

Paranor
posted December 24, 2001 01:55 AM            
Yes, I did AVI, MPEG2 and settled on real - big difference.

Unfortunately the guy didn't give me the right cable... sigh. Maybe I"ll order one anyways. hmmm....

------------------
[BWL] Paranor
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and BWL-Tiger.
Family. Redefined.
Click...Click...BOOM

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 24, 2001 04:04 AM            
I *might* be getting a DVD burner(still very expensive with friend's Best Buy employee discount),so maybe we could actually put it on a DVD Hell.........we might as well make our own game....The Quake 2 source code it supposed to be released before Christmas

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 24, 2001 07:36 AM            
JV - give that tank lots of speed and lots of weight, make a non existant fully transpareent tank skin and give it unlimited armour and no ammo

observer mode

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 24, 2001 11:42 AM            
grind n click, what'r u talking about?.......

I was saying up there, make the tank REAL REAL thin, almost like the skeleton of one if u have to so that way somebody can fire a 120mm at another guy, and the camera tank Hopefully won't block it..... But, the camera guy should know better than to run into the other little tanks

IP: