|
Author Topic:   Win ME Gamepad issues?
wolfman
posted December 18, 2001 12:22 AM            
Help. I have had to do a total rewrite of my harddrive and I am adding various items back on. I can't get the Gaming Options to recognize the device - a Gravis Eliminator Game Pad Pro as connected - it shows up as "Status - Not Connected". Though in the Device Manager under the Sound,Video and Game Controllers it is listed. I have tried everything that I can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks My email is shadowwolf69@hotmail.com Hope to be back online soon.

------------------
I am neither for nor against Apathy!

IP:

Cell
posted December 19, 2001 06:31 AM         
Delete the device in "properties" & try re-installing the device and its drivers.
Sounds like "orphan device syndrome", WindowsME has misplaced drivers on me before
Try it on another computer too , at least you'll be positive the controller actually is working

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited December 19, 2001).]

IP:

wolfman
posted December 20, 2001 05:13 AM            
Will try - need to know properties out of where (know this may be an ignorant question). I have now been able to reload/add the device though it will only do this with two copies of the same device in Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager and at the same time there is a small question marks next to one of the USB Human Interface Devices within the Human Interface Devices BIN in Device Manager. Soooooo, I need to know what and where for the properties to delete them. Thanks for the help.

------------------

IP:

Cell
posted December 21, 2001 06:29 AM         
Under "Control Panel/Gaming Options", remove all gaming devices listed.
In Device Manager, Delete all references to the USBjoystick & Joystick HID if any are shown. Remove any Yellow question-mark entries for the gameport or USB gaming device as well.
Your "Sound,Video,& Game Controllers" Soundcard Properties will have a Gameport listed,and leave that alone for now, its not being used. There should be no device connected to that.

Shut down, disconnect the USB joystick from the system, then reboot, allowing WindowsME to update the registery. Recheck "Device Manager" to make sure no Gaming devices (other than the unused soundcard gameport)are connected & there are no yellow warnings.

NOW try reinstalling the joystick & drivers. Most Mfgr. tell you to install the drivers for USB devices, shut down, connect the USB device, and turn the machine back on.
It should detect the device on boot. If not, then you get an asprin, because your headache is gonna start shortly thereafter!

With any luck, you should be up & fraggin!

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited December 21, 2001).]

IP:

wolfman
posted December 21, 2001 05:23 PM            
Back up now - still have 2 identical listings of the same gamepad under sound card, video, game controllers - and a small question mark by one of the usb device things - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh But I am back online - spoke with our pc guru at work and he said ME does this sometimes and it annoys the h*** out of him. Happy fraggin - was on the Classic Server the other night and had a ball. Yeah - wife is happy when I am happy Thanks for the help guys.

------------------

IP: