|
Author Topic:   My Voodoo lost its mojo.
mELON cRACKER
posted December 14, 2001 06:57 PM            
My Voodoo 3 3000, which I was happy with, despite the fact it is not the newest or most bad*ss card in town, died last night. Does anyone have a Voodoo 3 or other decent video card, maybe from your last upgrade, that they want to sell? I thought I saw a post a while back from someone saying that they had one. I can't pay too much, as I have a wife, son, and mortgage to keep up with, and it is so close to Christmas. So most new cards that have the performance (framerate over detail)I want are out of my price range. But I can pay a fair price for a used card.
For the time being I have downgraded to the card I had before that, a Diamond Stealth III, with an S3 Savage 4 chip on it, and all I can say is I would not recommend it for TM. It's OpenGL performance is poor. Whenever anything much is happening on the screen (nuke, matter bomb, etc.), framerate slows to a crawl.
At least the Voodoo 3 went out happy. At the time it went out, I was online playing TreadMarks! I was showing a new TM player (demo for now) and friend of mine (look for Moonglum soon) around The Ramp, and my display got scrambled, sort of like when you have the refresh rate set to something your monitor can't handle. Unfortunately it still looked like that on the POST screen after I powered cycled the computer. Removing/reslotting the card didn't help either. It is the classic blown RAM chip syndrome from what I can tell. I used to work in a shop where I could have used the high tech soldering tools to replace the RAM and fix the card, but no more.
RIP Voodoo 3.
Thanks for your help.
mELON cRACKER [LWA]

IP:

guido 1
posted December 14, 2001 08:19 PM         
check out these 2 sites i've bought hardware from both and service is excellent . www.tcwo.com . and www.compgeeks.com . you should be able to get a nice card for 45.00 or so . tcwo shipping is only 6.99 for up to 150lbs nice deal . check'em out . GTMK . good luck . whatever you do don't get another voodoo card .

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 14, 2001 08:31 PM            
duder..... u got a good job !

Nvidia bought 3DFX Tech. get urself a NVidia MX-200... its way better than your old card an as cheap as a tank of fuel !

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted December 15, 2001 03:07 AM            
Matrix- I had been staying away from the GeForce MX cards because I was under the impression that they were a "stripped down" model. Is anyone having good luck with them?
I can't quite afford the GeForce 2 Ti, but it is about the most affordable of non-MX GeForce cards being sold new.

Guido- Thanks for the links. I will definitely check them out. Why don't you like Voodoos?

IP:

JVortex
posted December 15, 2001 03:31 AM            
im running an NVidia GeForce2 MX 400 64 meg card and thus far its absolutely GREAT. im quite happy.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 15, 2001 04:11 AM            
I have a Voodoo 3 PCI in a old machine.I may give the whole to computer to a friend that needs one though so I'm not sure if I'd sell it or not.Your right.....it was and is still a good card.

IP:

guido 1
posted December 15, 2001 08:47 AM         
i have a nephew who started with stealth cards , then voodoo 2000 , and 3000 and he's blown all of them . maybe he is to hard on his pc , he's a tweaker and is alway's havin to do clean installs of his os . the card is proably ok in the hands of a normal gamer lol . at geeks they have a savage 2000 64meg with tv out for 44.50 . or an nvidia geforce 256 chipset w/fan and with 32 megs for 59.00 good prices i believe considering ther new cards . GTMK .

IP:

Paranor
posted December 15, 2001 11:35 AM            
I have a 32MB GeForce2 GTS 4x AGP video card, all TM settings set to maximum, running it in windowed mode with ICQ running to the right and never had a problem.

Hope that helps.

IP:

KONG
posted December 15, 2001 03:40 PM            
I just bought a new Radeon 7000. so I have a tnt2 PCI 32 MB card available.

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted December 17, 2001 05:22 PM            
I put the Voodoo in a machine I was working on for someone, just to see, and it started working again... for about 30 seconds. Aggravating!
I am planning to spend $100 or (hopefully) under for a new card, probably $60 to $80. What are your recommendations?
I have been through many video cards in the past couple of years, as I have several computers at home, and have had a source of cheap parts. I try to keep three computers in "gameable" hardware, mine, my son's and a spare for when people come over. My source of parts is the First Saturday Sale (www.firstsaturdaysale.com). It is in Dallas every month, and is a computer swap meet/vendor surplus/etc. sale. You can get lots of parts cheap (ex. used 32Meg AGP cards average about $25). However, while a lot of parts are new, some parts are used (and others abused) and you never know how close something used is to the end of its serviceable life.
Here is a list of the cards I have played TM on, in order of my opinion of its performance. Let me know if you have any additions, or comments.

3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP *nice
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 AGP *good
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI *good
Diamond Stealth 3 S540 AGP(S3 Savage 4) *mostly good, but slows down in heavy action
STB Velocity 4400 AGP (Nvidia TNT) *pretty good
Jaton Video 88/PCI (TNT2 M64/Vanta) *pretty good
Diamond Viper 330 PCI (Nvidia Riva 128) *acceptable
Real3D Starfighter AGP (Intel 740) *OK but not great
Diamond Stealth 2 S220 PCI (Verite 2200)*just enough. OK for starter or 2nd system
ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP *poor. choppy and no transparency

I want to go either get another Voodoo or go up to the next level of performance. Considering my context what would you recommend for TM? What if you had to choose between a Radeon or GeForce? And what about the low cost versions, Radeon VE vs GeForce MX? Anyone played on both before? If so, what did you think?
If I am going to buy a new card, I definitely want to make the right choice. Otherwise I will go get another used Voodoo. And hope it works longer than last time.
Thanks,
mELON cRACKER [LWA]

all your base belong to Voodoo!

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted December 17, 2001 06:11 PM            
Has anyone used an S3 Savage 2000 or S3 SuperSavage based card for TM? Just wondering if it was worth looking into at all.
Thanks,
mELON cRACKER [LWA]

IP:

guido 1
posted December 17, 2001 07:49 PM         
here are a couple links on the savage card . this is manufacturers site www.inno3d.com . this is a review link www.viahardware.com/innosavage.htm . looks to be a lot better than a stealth 2 . with 64megs and tv out , or 32 megs wo/tv out even cheaper . i'd say alota bang for the buck . guido .

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 17, 2001 10:45 PM            
I always heard S3 sucks so buyer beware.For a 100 bucks you'll be able to get a real good modern vcard.Which one is up to you.I think Gamespot did a review of vcards for Christams presents and they also had them ranked by budget so I'd go by gamespot.com and look through their reviews.

IP: