|
Author Topic:   Problem with TM locking up the comp!!!
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 14, 2001 04:44 AM            
I know I have read this topic on a few occasions and its happening to me now.I have the latest and greatest drivers for everything and REALLY don't want to reinstall Windoze.Ok...who had the problem and how did you fix it.Could reinstall the game........

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 14, 2001 05:02 AM            
ive had this issue since day one no matter how many times i reinstall - thats why ya dont see me in ddm's, well that plus my ping.

I do not have the fix either... i merely put it down to my processor being up crap creek.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted December 14, 2001 06:05 AM            
this was the problem i had.

/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001663.html

------------------
=DNX= Tiggs
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and Tiger.
Family. Redefined.
Click...Click...BOOM!

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 14, 2001 09:42 AM         
Any USB or firewire devices present over there?

IP:

synack
posted December 14, 2001 10:22 AM         
I have had, and still do have, the problem of TM locking up when I chat too much. I've given up trying to resolve it.

IP:

guido 1
posted December 14, 2001 08:49 PM         
how much memory do you have ? windows will use as much as it wants unless you reign it in . maybe too much file swapping . when i was using win98 i had the same problem then got 356mgs memory and forced win98 to use it instead of all the hard drive virtual memory which it will do . i've since went to xp and freeze up is only if the server is overloaded , or i lose my connection . GTMK .

IP:

guido 1
posted December 14, 2001 09:04 PM         
typo i meant 256 mgs , i want to max my mobo out at 516mgs then no buffering problems . the whole game should be on sdram instead of the slowest part of any personal confuser ..... the hard drive , seek times can get ridiculous on these huge harddrives even at 7200 rpm . sniff , i've seen times i thought my pc was froze but waited and the game resumed too much lag maybe with dialup most of the time . either that or aliens are hovering near and the disruption of the electromagnetic field are pissin me off again .... sigh ... hehe .... fun ... GTMK .

IP:

KONG
posted December 14, 2001 09:37 PM            
hey guido, if u partition your HD, it will cut down on the search time considerably

IP:

guido 1
posted December 14, 2001 10:04 PM         
thanks kong , i have a maxtor 20gig that i partitioned under win98 which is supposed to recognize up to 8 gig partitions i have 4 5 gig partitions , c,d,e,f. i now run xp and am not sure how high i can go on partitioning under this os , i just meant that if you let windows manage your memory it's very poor at that . at least under 95 and 98 . as you know you have 8 or 9 ms seek times that you don't have when using sdram or ddram . if you have the memory why not use it instead of virtual memory which is a lot slower , and alway's will be it is mechanical and therefore slow . see tech tv regarding windows memory management .... it's a real hog . i'm only a geek in training , but we all want the right solution so tell us your answer , my knowledge is limited , but i try to be helpful . GTMK .

IP:

KONG
posted December 14, 2001 10:27 PM            
understood. I stick with FAT16, 2 gig partitions. And I allocate a 1 gig partition to the swap file wich makes it work faster. It will never use the whole partition, but it does not have to write or search around other data. that was my point. Oh great mysterious kangaroo....

Back to the problem, I had the same problems with lockups. every 3rd or 4th game it would freeze during reconnect. I bought more memory and voila, no more lockups. Tho clearing your addons folder might help as well.

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited December 14, 2001).]

IP:

guido 1
posted December 14, 2001 11:12 PM         
thank you, most impotent simian , hehe . i don't use a swap file . not needed with enough memory . my god man 2 gig partitions what are you using for an os ? win 95 ? we await your next utterance hehehehehehe .... fun GTMK . you did say that you added memory and ..... voila no problem ..... hmmmm didn't i just say that earlier ? or not ? my psycic simian pal . do you agree or disagree to disagree ?????? if you agree to disagree then i must agree .... hehe that rhymes .... is that pendic pyamiter ? does it have anything to do with mathematics ? i too share your fondness for the 1st planet of the apes , does finding the doll in the cave ring any bells ??? or bannanas for that matter !!! have a drink on me oh great misunderstood king of the simians , whose name i utter in total confusion ..... KONG . who say's it means Kind Of No Good , whoever said that is on my list , somwhere on one of my 2 gig partitions , was it f or k hehehehhe ... fun ...sniff , cough , ..... sigh .

IP:

KONG
posted December 14, 2001 11:17 PM            
No, thats pie-ameter

IP:

KONG
posted December 14, 2001 11:22 PM            
Maybe I should stop. This is the first couple of posts where guido has made any sense. Maybe a break through? Raising Cain?

IP:

guido 1
posted December 14, 2001 11:25 PM         
hehehhe...... your so right . i have this suspicion that with all the mods tm is heading in the direction of a console game . god help 1000 people online with a 56k modem ... talk about lag ..... jeeez . xbox should be online april or may 2002 . can you envision 5 drunk guy's in 200 houses fighting over 2 controlers ..... hehhehe . GTMK .

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 14, 2001 11:32 PM            
I have a fixed swap file(2x's memory for min and max)....512 SDRAM.I don't have firewire.I do have several USB devices but none of them are running while playing.Nothing has changed setup wise on my machine.I did install the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers last week.I don't know.Could be one of a million things.Hope it was just a glich.

IP:

KONG
posted December 14, 2001 11:41 PM            
have you installed any new software lately?

IP:

guido 1
posted December 14, 2001 11:44 PM         
when i was running win98 sometimes i'd get a missing file notice , and had to reinstall the game seemed to work . haven't had that sort of notice since changing to xp . any conflicts in your registry ? i use regcleaner a really good freebie , when i delete a program i use it to make sure there are no traces left in the registry . i'm a believer in keeping a clean registry . GTMK .

IP:

KONG
posted December 15, 2001 12:16 AM            
thank you Guido. At lest you provide some feedback. I appreciate any comments you may have.WTF?

IP: