This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   SSOMYGOD/Rate It Server
The Weatherman
posted December 13, 2001 01:28 PM         
Okay, I have a new SSO server up containing ALL of the SSO mods that I could find, all Entegrefied (thanks Kevlar and Rex R). I have the Log turned on so PLEASE comment on any weapon that sticks out - good or bad . I will use user comments, extracted from the logs, as a guide for a weapons rating system. I am thinking of rating mods by lagginess (y or n), fun (1-4, higher = more), balance? (-2 to 2, zero is perfect, -2 is too weak/hard to use, 2 is too powerful/easy to use), and suitability for DDM, CTF, and Race (1-4 for each). This is a very long term project! I'll be adding Vlad's second generation mods soon.

Also, look out for something useful and cool from the DPA .

So check out the server and chat it up - also, I am trying to get to the bottom of my server lagginess issues, too.

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Treadhead tested, Girlfriend dissaproved ;)

IP:

Rex R
posted December 13, 2001 01:54 PM            
methinks some folks will be surprised when some weaps they've come to know(and perhaps loath) aren't the same as they used to be.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 13, 2001 11:26 PM            
Now how about a place to download the mods?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 13, 2001 11:31 PM         
That is coming, be patient. Most of the mods are available elsewhere but these have been entegrified your your pleasure, er protections, er, well they just have been

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 13, 2001 11:42 PM            
For the SSO server that's running now, no downloads are necessary, they are all server side mods.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 14, 2001 01:17 AM            
tried it out this afternoon there was a weapon that produced what I can best describe as a pillar of fire/plasma that reached into the sky with a lot of noise. dunno which weap did it but the pillar must have lasted at least 5 min or more(didn't seem to do anything) looked neat but, all I could hear was it (in about a 200 meter radius)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted December 14, 2001 04:42 AM            
I'm a impatient man I lost all of my mods and don't really feel like spending a week getting them back On nice big download would be perfect.I know it server side but have you ever had to wait through 400 entities changing on dialup?
AS far as the server...some of the weaps are not too server friendly.Mucho lag.I'll have more specifics on weapons soon.

IP:

synack
posted December 14, 2001 04:50 AM         
Rex, sounds like you witnessed the end phase of the Shadow Summoner (I think?) which culminates in a crashed Shadow Cruiser.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 14, 2001 07:46 AM            
Well, I talked to Vlad and I think I have the wrong Shadow Summoner in that pack. He's woking on getting me the online friendly verison.

Or it could have been the Wave Motion Cannon. It uses a pilar of fire. Did it look like a funnel cloud, tornado? But I think Killer has tested it online and toned it down some. And believe me his does not just sit there.

I tested the server out, last night and I reswpaned 3 times and got killed by sheep twice and kangaroo's the third time. I think we can tone down the weight on the animals a bit. There are two types of sheep weapons for one thing.

That's what this test server is all about to leave comments in chat that we can use to adjust the weight and such so we end up with a good pack. Right now there are 39 weapons in the sso and one more will be added from Rex to make it an even 40. So its tough to test a 40 weapon pack, but if we get the weights adjusted right and weed out some of the annoying one's it will make for a good server pack.

IP:

Paranor
posted December 14, 2001 09:00 AM            
That server got to be very laggy when the 4th/5th person connected. Took about 2-3 minutes for it to calm down.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 14, 2001 09:23 AM         
I am still trying to figure out what was going on there. Same problem messed up my serving the DDM last Sun (thanks again fer the save, Par). The server itself is a POS. I am going to try running it off of my laptop tonight to see if it gets any better.

IP:

Vlad
posted December 14, 2001 09:30 AM            
That problem sounds like the end of the first phase of the Shadow Summoner, all right.

That's about where it always screwed up online, too... gotta email that stuff to you, Kev.

Actually, I think I uploaded it to the Yahoo group when I first released it, too. You may want to check there if you don't hear back from me any time soon.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 14, 2001 10:27 AM            
I'll check there and then let you know.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 14, 2001 10:32 AM            
I found it Vlad, right where you said.
I will reassemble the pack and send to WM.

IP:

A2597
posted December 14, 2001 10:52 AM            
RE: Shadow Summoner

Just say that wave of fire.
hate it. 20, even 30 seconds would be ok, but it lasted OVER 15 minutes! and during the last five minutes of the game there was a second one. WAY TO LONG.

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

Vlad
posted December 14, 2001 11:13 AM            
Actually, that only happens online, for some reason. It probably has to do with the way I did my spewers that call all the fancy effects. If you're playing with it in Single-Player, it works correctly, and each one of those things only lasts for under a second.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 14, 2001 12:52 PM            
so thats what it was. think mostly the weap.s need to show up less often, mainly the high powered ones (IMO) however that can prolly wait till we get more feedback(hard to test weap.s that don't show up)

IP:

Rex R
posted December 14, 2001 01:56 PM            
there seemed to be a problem with the 'vulcan' not displaying(least not for me) possibly a misplaced texture call?

IP:

Vlad
posted December 14, 2001 02:19 PM            
If the Vulcan is the same one that Weatherman mentioned to me in the other thread regarding the Hailstorm and their potential similarities, then I believe that does use a custom weapon texture.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 14, 2001 02:21 PM            
It does have one I did not put it in the sso pack WM might have.

[Edit]
Also has that custom vulcan cannon sound file.

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited December 14, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 14, 2001 03:08 PM         
Whooops - thought it was SSO - My bad!

Edit. would [SSG]Vortex the Barbarian send me his flag - it is giving me errors again. ThX

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited December 14, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 14, 2001 03:28 PM         
Thanks for the input everyone - I am going to make some changes.
Here is the text from the serverlogs:

cut duration of fire mine - rex
>>[=DNX= Tiggs]: triple laser is a little to much
>>[=DNX= Tiggs]: what is that weapon that looks like fireworks?
>>[=DNX= Tiggs]: makes way no much noise
>>[Sailor (LWA)]: True laser -2
>>[Thor]: sheep mines
>>[Sailor (LWA)]: needs to be toned down badly
>>[[BWL]Kevlar]: weight too hi on jump gun
>>[[BWL]Kevlar]: tooo many sheep baaaah
>>[[BWL]Kevlar]: too many trilasers
>>[Hammer]: too many toys altogether.
>>[[SSG]Vortex the Barbarian]: mosquito cage doesn't work right
Serious Lag - dark nova?
>>[-=lwa=-A2597]: OK! THAT SHADOW FIRETHING LAST WAAAAAYYYY TO LONG
>>[[BWL]Rex R]: um the vulcan doesn't display

What I am going to do:
halved Fire mine timetolive = 30 from 60
Remove Triple Laser - it alternately creates peaks or sharp craters - should be modded to be more like the reg laser
Remove Shadow Summoner and DArk nova until I get Vlads toned down ones.
Remove the vulcan and conan - not SSO (sorry thought they were)
Tone down the weight and duration of the sheep brigade and the weight of roos and sheep mines
decrease the weight of the jump gun

Thanks for the constructive chat- Please give the server a shot tonight as I will make the above changes and move it to a new server. Servers- I have a new perl script that removes everything from a log but chat - useful for getting opinions. Email me if you want it. If this Rate it server works out, I may make a Rate it server for maps.

IP:

Karldar
posted December 14, 2001 06:02 PM            
OK, you're gettin' way too efficient, WM . LOL, but seriously, I can't wait to try the server(tomorrow at the earliest ) and get chat-fragged whilst I bitch about the weaps. Hehe, fun...KTPL.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Cell
posted December 14, 2001 06:50 PM         
Sorry WM, but the connection ping went to zero while we were testing and the the server went off the menu list when I tried to reconnect, guess it was "reboot" time

The jumpiness definitely got better after remote admin. program was shut down

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited December 14, 2001).]

IP:

KONG
posted December 14, 2001 09:01 PM            
rate it for maps? now just hoooold on a minute!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2