Author Topic:   online game
smiley_mo
posted December 04, 2001 06:39 PM            
Forgot to mention the modem.
PCtel V.90 K56Flex HSP.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 04, 2001 06:51 PM         
Hehe, hey Smiley - try hitting "reply to" in your original messages instead of "post new topic" when you are continuing a thread - makes it a lot more readable and keeps the board uncluttered

IP:

synack
posted December 04, 2001 06:55 PM         
awww, you're kind, WM.

He'll catch on quick.

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 04, 2001 07:09 PM            
LOL,sorry WM heads up the preverbial arse so to speak.Anyway,Synack I tried your suggestion but it did'nt work!
do you think if i disabled my anti virus software might help?

------------------

IP:

synack
posted December 04, 2001 08:10 PM         
No. That's not the problem. I run A/V software all the time. (and so should you, and You and YOU!!!!!!!!!) fyi, I'm running McAfee's VShield on my W98 desktop here at home.

You say it didn't work. We need specifics. Did you see the 'map load failure' message? It only displays briefly, so you need to keep a sharp eye or you'll miss it.

What happened when you tried to connect to Paranor's Demo server? Same thing?

One other thought ... Have you by any chance selected a custom flag, that is, one you may have downloaded from one of our players' servers? Sometimes that causes a problem.

When you select 'refresh Internet,' do you see pings on the servers, as opposed to zero pings?

OK, guys ... help me out here. I'm running out of suggestions, and I know there's a wealth of experience beyond what I have. What else can we ask??

p.s. Smiley, I played against a "smiley" a week or so ago, while I was describing the LWA non-clan to Oma Horst. Is it possible that you were THAT smiley? If so, then you're closer to regular gameplay than we think. If not, well then, drop back 10 yards and punt!

[This message has been edited by synack (edited December 04, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 04, 2001 08:34 PM         
Are you running a firewall? You should try disabling it if you are. If that dies the trick you have to go back and fix the configuation on your firewall to allow TM through.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 04, 2001 08:44 PM            
firewalls - so much bother but so handy.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 04, 2001 09:56 PM            
It is the firewall. The same thing happens to me whenever I have had to reinstall. All you need to do is allow access to the tm client port 12350 I thik it is, and then it will work.

IP:

Paranor
posted December 05, 2001 01:17 AM            
I believe Tiggs or Aragon had a problem where TM was in "full screen" and they didn't see the firewall prompt (in this case Zonealarm).

Also, you can get ICQ and see if any of us are online when you are trying to connect - we'll be more than happy to help if we are available.

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 05, 2001 02:06 PM            
It's not the firewall Paranor,do you think it might be the OS WinMe??

------------------

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 05, 2001 03:18 PM            
Sometimes i get a map load failure but nearly all the time the map loads OK,it's when i get by that stage that things start to fly south for the winter!!!. some times i get a black screen others i get the black screen and the Press Fire message???

------------------

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 05, 2001 05:02 PM            
Well that's a different story. When you hit "Refresh Internet" to get the list of the servers, on the far right, are the "pings" normal or are they at 0 or are they way too high?

If you have the maps and it's not the firewall then something might be screwy with your Internet connection.

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 05, 2001 05:14 PM            
Sometimes the pings are over 1,000 but normally they are between 400-500

------------------

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 05, 2001 05:15 PM            
How about my suggestion that it might be WindowsME???

------------------

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 05, 2001 05:46 PM            
Can't say about the ME part, I have Win2k, but I have not heard anyone talk about problems with ME. This sounds more like connection trouble and not so much graphics card/OS trouble, but you never know with Mr Gates.

But 1000 is definitely high, your in the mile high ping club with that one. And 400-500 is a little high too I think. I usually run about 100 to 300. Do you have a high speed connection or dialup?

I just looked and the highest I have is a 360. I wish I could be more help, sorry.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 06, 2001 04:17 AM            
was getting pings in the 300-450 range for the uk servers(I'm in the midwest) normal fer me is round 180-250 wit my '56k' dial up. might be worth your while (if that is a winmodem) to check the company website and see if they have better drivers.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted December 08, 2001 05:43 PM            
Smiley-mo,

Where abouts to you live? Maybe if you're nearby one of us, we might be able to pop by and see what the deal is...

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 08, 2001 06:30 PM            
LMAO,God bless u man but i live in Glasgow Scotland U.K.! I dont think it's worth that much.

------------------

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 08, 2001 08:11 PM            
Sure Bam you can just drop by on your way to IceLand! LOL

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 08, 2001 08:22 PM            
Thanks Rex i tried the latest drivers for my modem but they are not suitable for Win ME.

------------------

IP:

smiley_mo
posted December 08, 2001 08:24 PM            
I think i'm looking at re-installing Win98 guys!

IP:

synack
posted December 09, 2001 08:24 AM         
Both Ni and Grind_and_Click live in Scotland, but I don't remember precisely where. They might live next door to ya, Laddie!

IP:

KONG
posted December 09, 2001 10:35 AM            
just a thought, you could have the same problem that sailor and I had. bad RAM. I would get the map loadded message ok then kablooie!

------------------
http://tmkong.tripod.com/tmk also check out the central map site. http://tmmaps.tripod.com

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted December 09, 2001 11:22 AM            
Glasgow too... umm... laddie!

------------------
Lemon Curry?!?!

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted December 09, 2001 12:44 PM            
Wow. neighbors!!!

------------------
=DNX= Tiggs
DNX-Tiggs, LWA-Aragon, BWL-Paranor and Tiger.
Family. Redefined.
Click...Click...BOOM - Don't Disrespect The 'Bing.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2