This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   TM and Windows XP
Sailor
Administrator
posted November 25, 2001 09:37 PM            
I just got a new system with Windows XP, 512MB of DDR ram, 80 GB HD and a GeForce 3 64MB graphics card. Sounds great I know, but when I load TM I get a black screen with music in the background and eventually my system usually reboots. The problem is somewhere in the OpenGL support used by the GeForce 3 graphics card, but I have not been able to find it yet. Any suggestions. I have the latest drivers and have found no OpenGL drivers for XP. Now did I leave anything off? If not any other suggestions. I need my TM back!

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

A2597
posted November 25, 2001 09:39 PM            
I know the feeling...
LDA! WE NEED AN XP PATCH!
Me, it just restarts the PC 45-70% of the time. (more often in race)

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 25, 2001 11:48 PM            
I'm running XP Corporate edition and TM with no problems using a VooDoo3.

I also use the modified drivers I got off the web.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 26, 2001 04:43 AM            
Its not a problem with the Geforce 3 caus I run one.Gotta be XP

IP:

Cell
posted November 26, 2001 06:37 AM         
3Dchipset.com has an extensive list of drivers, including for XP. I beleive that nVidia Detonator driver files contain drivers for all their products and OS in each package, so you may want to try some different sets till you find a release that works.

They have another beta section if you get desparate, which nVidia "leaks" for mass testing.

To tell you the truth, this almost sounds like another "DirectX 8.* feature" from Microsoft. I know TM uses Open GL, not DX, but does WindowsXP know that?

Also , go to your advanced Open GL properties tab,( under "dispaly prperties-advanced-**your nvididia chipset**-additional properties- open GL" ) and try some different settings there. Maybe the default settings are in conflict with your TM settings.

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited November 26, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 26, 2001 10:10 AM            
im running xp corporate - no issues here.

postef a reply and solution on the dmf forum in answer to ya post sailor.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted November 26, 2001 04:03 PM            
I had the same problem. I am running XP Pro. What my problem was when I clicked to start the game in Open GL, it would goto full screen and sit there. I took me awhile to figure out that my firewall was screwing it up. The program was asking to access the internet. And it would sit there until I ok to access the internet. I could not do this because it was in full screen mode. What I had to do was change the FAST .CFG file in TM to have it start in windowed mode for to click the damn ok button for the firewall. After that, worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

------------------
click....click....boom

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 26, 2001 05:53 PM            
Thats right.They do have different Detonators for the different Windoze versions.Make sure you go the one that is for XP.You may want to get a program called Detonator Destoyer that wipes the driver completley from Windoze.Then grab the latest XP driver.Thatshould fix it.I know I grabbed the grabbed the wrong version driver one time and it cause a lot of probs.

IP:

guido 1
posted November 26, 2001 05:56 PM         
i'm usin xp pro and haven't had many problems . i suggest u use windows 2000 drivers if xp drivers are not yet available . it's gonna take time for all the vendors to catch up . my mobo is an intel 810e and my graphics are fine .

IP:

Paranor
posted November 26, 2001 09:18 PM            
I suggest loading DOS 6.22 with PCTOOLS 8 in high mem.

------------------
[BWL] Paranor
...this space for rent

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited November 26, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 27, 2001 02:01 AM         
-What about PCTools and DOS extenders? won't that be problematic? I'm playing other games besides TM (Syndicate, for example - best game ever) and several use dos4gw - I just don't want to sacrifice every other pleasure in my life just to be able to play TM.

-Will I be able to run TM in SVGA with PC Tools loaded?

-I want to play TM Multiplayer, but I only have one mouse and one keyboard attached to my computer. possible?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted November 28, 2001 11:03 PM            
I have the latest detonator drivers from Nvidia. I continue to get a draw error in nvoglnt.dll that causes the program to error out and die or sometimes to reboot the box. Still no solution, but thanks for the ideas. I am still working on it. I do not want to lose my chances to continue to play this game. LDA if you have any suggestions please let me know. If anyone has a GeForce 3 with 64MB DDR ram and XP and your system is working let me know what your OpenGL video settings are.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 29, 2001 09:12 AM            
*Can you say multiboot?*

Well...that would be one solution...but its probably too complicated. Probably has to do with DirectX 8 - considering how many OpenGL progs have errors with it. Another reason why not to upgrade to XP for me...heh.

--RC

IP:

Cell
posted November 29, 2001 09:30 PM         
I'd just start from scratch, it's not even worth the time or trouble to find some bug thats not even your fault or even fixable.If it's a new OEM system, it's probably loaded with all these goofy programs slowing it down and doing god-knows-what to your precious framerate anyway!

Time for fdisk, format c:, then e:\setup.exe and whatever you do, don't put the latest directX version in.
(just remember Cell's Theorem: DirectX_beta = electronic Anthrax)

What else do you have to lose at this point, Sailor!

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited November 29, 2001).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted November 30, 2001 07:20 PM            
I have a possible solution to my problem. It appears that the people who built the system put an IEEE 1394 controller on the same IRQ as the video card. According to the board manufacturer that would cause the kind of problems I have been experiencing. I am going to have the IRQ's fixed tomorrow and then I will see what happens. Let you all know later.

------------------

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 30, 2001 10:33 PM            
I don't know about that fix.I had my modem,sound card,video card,and pci steering on IRQ 11, and the Geforce worked just fine.I only have the Geforce on 11 now.

IP:

Paranor
posted December 01, 2001 01:34 AM            
I'm a little behind on this thread but I was only kidding Dreamer. What do you guys use over there anyways?

IP:

Cell
posted December 01, 2001 07:06 AM         
You may be on to something, Sailor.
Some devices don't play well together.

If you're not using a legacy port on your system, such as COM1, COM2, or LPT, you can disable it in device manager, and free up an IRQ, which should be re-assigned to another device upon reboot. This may not work on some motherboards, depends on the manufacturer.

On my MB, the BIOS has the option "assign IRQ to Video" enabled, as well as "Pnp OS installed", and "assign IRQ's automatically"

* How about installing OS2/warp,that will run really fast on that machine, and your ping times will actually be a negative value, you'll be able receive packets before they are even sent! All IT Departments should install it on their Boss' machines!

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 01, 2001 08:22 AM         
I'm not familiar with XP yet, but if it's at all like Win2k (and I do believe it is), it's not going to allow any control over resources like IRQ's. Win2k maps all PCI and AGP devices to IRQ 9 and tries to serve them all from there... Bad thing if you've got hardware that doesn't support that. Looks like a frind of mine is going to have to buy a new ISDN adapter and a new sound card - both refuse to work under XP.

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 01, 2001 08:26 AM         
On the other hand it looks like XP has severe compatibility issues with lots of software packages out there - Sun's Java runtime environment, for example...

IP:

Cell
posted December 01, 2001 08:50 AM         
You know I never noticed that in Win2K? I never had a hardware problem with it that required my attention I guess , and it looks like only my modem resources can be re-assigned under automatic configuration.

But you should be able to assign resources in the BIOS under Win2k, don't see why not.
I'm not gonna mess with my settings right now and test it, everything is running fine here

And freeing up additional IRQ's for automatic configuration by disabling unused ports would help, I beleive.

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 01, 2001 11:21 AM         
Distributing ressources via the bios? Only if you turn off support for plug and play in your setup and that's bound to lead to other problems. (I don't even know whether Win2k cares at all - probably not)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 01, 2001 09:56 PM            
hmmmm

IP:

jzapert
posted January 15, 2002 03:06 AM            
It's true. Windows 2000/XP will ignore any manually assigned IRQs in the BIOS if the system is set up with ACPI. (See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q252420)

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted January 15, 2002 06:04 PM            
Sailor,
I have had some problems with some NVidia cards not working properly with some versions of the NVidia Detonator drivers. I have always had good luck using the drivers at www.opengl.org. The drivers on there are usually a bit older than the ones on the vendor sites, but they have been tested more and are not added to the archive until they are known to work.
Let us know if you are still having the problem. I suspect not as I was playing against you last night.
Thanks,
mELON cRACKER [LWA]

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2