|
Author Topic:   Being a "NEWBIE" at the wrong time!
Phreek
posted November 16, 2001 08:03 AM            
Hello everyone!!

From looking at some of the past posts I get the slight impression that playing TM online is going down hill. Well, I hope that's not the case due to the fact I just learned of this community not to long ago and would like to become a part of it.

I have been playing the demo for only 6 months or so, I know, I know..."Where have you been?"..."Do you live in a cave or something?"..."Did you just escape from the state pen?"...etc. Anyhow, I just ordered the full version last week from Longbow's site and I am crossing my fingers that you all will keep fraggin away online for months and months to come so that I may have a chance to experience it. Maybe even be invited to join a team, or is it clan, after I have learned and proven myself...if there are any left by that time

I guess there is a lot of other files to obtain once my TM full arrives so any advice on which I should concentrate on getting first and the best place to get them would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
~PHREEK~

IP:

Karldar
posted November 16, 2001 08:23 AM            
Greetings, Phreek! Hmm, ur handle sounds vaguely familiar-been on the demo servers any?

As far as our little community goes, I think you may have gotten the wrong impression somehow. Many players have already been around for years(since the beta) and at least play occasionally. I've been playing for over a year now, close to 2 if ya count SP. I doubt we're goin' anywhere. Hell, I'll put a server back up on my crappy 'puter if I have to .

Oh, and for dl's, I suggest startin' with JV's page: http://www.bzrpg.com

and the DMF at: http://www.deathmatch-federation.com

I can't remember the others off the top of my head, but I'm sure some of the other friendly folks here'll clue u in. Again, welcome .

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Phreek
posted November 16, 2001 08:48 AM            
Thanks Karldar for the links!

No I have not been on the demo servers but I am glad you asked because if I have picked someone's handle I will change it...and I thought I was being creative

------------------
~PHREEK~

IP:

Karldar
posted November 16, 2001 09:00 AM            
I'm pretty sure ur the only "Phreek" at the moment(I could be wrong, tho ). Prolly saw that name in one form or another in Diablo II or somethin' other than TM. Anyhoo, Paranor's got a demo server set up-u should give it a try. We had several people on it yesterday.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

=DNX=goku
posted November 16, 2001 09:03 AM            
dont worry man i will be playing for a long time and so will some others and TM on my puter isn't going anywhere so i will take plesusre in fragging you

------------------
KameHaMeHa boom!!! you all are gone hehe

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 16, 2001 11:15 AM         
Yeah, welcome!

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted November 16, 2001 11:48 AM            
Other than JV's site you can get new maps at the following site. tmmaps.tripod.com . Hope that helps. Also Kevlar has a mods site that has all the mods, but I cannot remember the URL. It is in a message in the forums that was very recent. Look for his name on posts and you will find it. Oh yeah, most gracious welcomes to the forum and the fragfest. See ya on the servers.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

A2597
posted November 16, 2001 12:04 PM            
yet another reason I goby A2597...

Welcome Phreek!

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

Rex R
posted November 16, 2001 12:39 PM            
well the major files you may need are the upgrade patches, that is if your copy of TM isn't either 1.59 or 1.6(I'm not sure which version is being shipped now days. it might be ver 1.55. ) in any case the dl page here has those patches.
welcome to the asy/\/\/\forum

IP:

Paranor
posted November 16, 2001 01:30 PM            
Welcome phreek! Have you been playing on my demo server?

Dunno where you get that online is going downhill - I'm on it WAY too much.

My suggestions are

1) keep reading this BB
2) read the description areas on the servers in case they require a special download
3) there is a weekly DDM every sunday at 8:00 pm EST on whatever server is posted in this BB. It's basically 20 people fragging each other.
4) no swearing since kids do play
5) DNX is bad
6) BWL is good
7) don't take most of what we say literally - we all joke around. see #5 above.

------------------
[BWL] Paranor
...a frag a day keeps the doctor away

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited November 16, 2001).]

IP:

Paranor
posted November 16, 2001 01:35 PM            
BTW: I see you enjoy aviation - ever been to the EAA convention in Oshkosh, WI?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 16, 2001 01:37 PM            
Welcome Phreek! Glad to see you in the forums. We'll be waiting to frag...uh, welcome you with a quick 120mm to the backside when you get the full version.

Just remember...it's only a game. Now...where's that Paranor...?

IP:

JVortex
posted November 16, 2001 01:50 PM            
hiya, greetings, hello and the waving of many silly things in your general direction!

welcome abord the frag fest.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 16, 2001 02:37 PM            
You may be referring to my posts about lack of players You'll notice TM is a small community so don't expect to see 30 people on a server.......but you can usually find at least one human to slap you around
Welcome to TM online....

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted November 16, 2001 03:28 PM            
Welcome Phreek.
I have only been playing online for about a month, although I have had the full game about 10 months.
I just have not been much for online games because I love speed (speed, Speed, SPEED, LOVE.. SPEED...) and hate lag. TM is not too bad in general, laggily speaking. Although it is nothing like the net games I organize at my office (I am IS Manager). You can't beat 100 Mbit switched full duplex. Now if I could just upgrade all the machines to GeForce video cards...
I don't think that the online TM community is going anywhere. I for one am not going anywhere, and am actively recruiting everyone I know in North Texas and elsewhere to get their butts online and lay on the trigger.
Again, welcome. Get on the Demo server this weekend (except Sunday night), and I will be looking for you.
mELON cRACKER [LWA]

IP:

Phreek
posted November 16, 2001 07:19 PM            
Thanks for the kind welcome guys. I guess I got that impression, as SuperUnknown said, from the posts about lack of players. I am very happy to hear that there is still a loyal following.

Paranor, I logged onto your server earlier this morning and found a couple of "real" players, it was fun. I have a newbie question for ya...In a situation like that, 3 or 4 AI's and a couple of real players, is it expected or common practice to try and always get to the real players for battle or dont worry about it and just battle whoever comes along? Oh...and no I have not ever been to the EAA Convention but have heard a lot about it. We have about 20 chapters of the EAA here in Oregon (OSEAA).

Thanks again all for the welcome

------------------
~PHREEK~

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted November 16, 2001 07:31 PM            
not to my knowledge

IP:

JVortex
posted November 16, 2001 07:45 PM            
its usually most common to engage the human players and just frag on the AI's whenever they happen to get in the way. thats what i do anyhow, think thats what most others do as well.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

Irascible
posted November 16, 2001 08:43 PM            
He said "laggily speaking". Hehe.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted November 17, 2001 01:08 AM            
Welcome Phreek.

------------------
click....click....boom

IP: