|
Author Topic:   KABOOM
KONG
posted November 13, 2001 11:38 PM            
I just dloaded and installed direct x 8.1 . When I restarted, kaboom...

wont boot, cant re-install windows, nothing.
not even dos prompt.

guess i'll be busy for a while. Thanks Microshaft. it may be their new marketing technique to get you to buy xp. sorry, no lol today. only boohoohoohoo

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 13, 2001 11:47 PM            
Kinda had the same thing happen a while back but I was using beta before it was finished.Found a good DXUninstaller.Trying to find the link 4 u.
http://www.directxbuster.de/index_e.html

[This message has been edited by SuperUnknown (edited November 14, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 14, 2001 04:08 AM            
8.1 (as far as i konw - im prob wrong) was designed for use on XP (which i have ) it comes with xp and runs fine IN XP.

cant speak for lesser OS's ive had np tho.... xp runs like a gem - had xp running for 2 weeks now. not a sungle bluescreen, not a showdown, lack of resources, gdi - NOTHING

its AWESOME !

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 14, 2001 04:16 AM            
No.......it's for all Windoze versions......well..95 and up I haven't really heard that much praise about it.Got no incease at all in the 3dmark01 bench.It's not really a new DX.It's just a update and bug fix to 8.0.Now what I would like to see is DX9!If you go to the MS site(yuck) and go to the DX page you can sign up to beta test DX9!I signed up two weeks ago

IP:

Cell
posted November 14, 2001 07:03 AM         
Sounds as if it's too late for Kong to uninstall 8.1

How about a new bootdisk to start that reinstall instead

IP:

quotation
posted November 14, 2001 08:02 AM            
I had the same thing happen. From newsgroup discussions I determined it was a serious conflict with my Banshee card. I had to reset my motherboard to factory defaults to even re-install windows. Brutal.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 14, 2001 04:49 PM            
He can try Safe mode.Of course if his computer won't boot then he has probablly not been reading the forum
It used to be that you had to reinstall Windoze to get rid of a DX but nowdays people have whipped out some good programs that will do it for you in a mtter of seconds.Then just have a earlier version ready to install.

IP:

KONG
posted November 14, 2001 08:39 PM            
seems like a virus, one partition deleted all of the drive letters changed on the partitions. memory errors, fdisk hangs when i try to run it. think i am pretty much screwed on this one. gonna try that ubd.
dont have much to lose.

I can't even set a new dos partition
when i delete partitions and drives they wont delete

IP:

Cell
posted November 15, 2001 07:38 AM         
Could be something is not plugged in all the way also, Kong. Or one of your plugin cards or another device may have gone bad

Pull everything,and put back only the cpu memory, video card and primary drive. Sometimes even a bad CD drive can cause similar problems. If you know how to reset the parameters of the Bios, Clear CMOS, redetect the hard drive,& try another video card.

IP:

KONG
posted November 15, 2001 10:53 PM            
well i,m on my way back. updating windows now. if all goes well should be able to put my motherboard back in tomorrow. Thanks for that disk cell. A nice little item to have. everyone should have one.

IP: