|
Author Topic:   what game controller do u use ?
guido 1
posted November 10, 2001 01:32 PM         
i was wondering if anyone had a fave , i use a saitek R100 racing wheel , i'd like something in a wheel more responsive . does tm support force feedback ? if not it would be a great addition . has anyone from lda pitched tm to microsoft for the xbox ? i bet sales would boom , how do i buy stock hehe . guido the mercy killer.... fun !!!!!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 10, 2001 03:08 PM            
My favorite is a keyboard and a mouse

IP:

Neo
posted November 10, 2001 05:08 PM            
I use the keyboard, no mouse, and no turret controls. I use only forward, back, left, right, fire, and scoreboard keys. That's all I need.

IP:

Karldar
posted November 10, 2001 05:28 PM            
I use an old beatup MS sidewinder 3D pro w/ rudder control for the turret. It gets the job done .

Holy crap, Neo, I'm impressed! I use my turret and I'm not even close to your level of play. *goes off to practice even harder*

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

JVortex
posted November 10, 2001 05:43 PM            
i agree with neo, its rare that my turret turns as well.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

A2597
posted November 10, 2001 06:31 PM            
100% keyboard.
z and c turn my turret (Rarely)
and x locks camera to turret/to front of tank.
(I only turn my turret in duals, where we drive past eachother. combined with my tank turning, I can shoot as he drives past)

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 10, 2001 07:01 PM            
Playstation analog controller using the Smartjoy USB adapter. Let's me control almost everything from the controller...scores, viewpoints, turrent...

Still trying to get the hang of the turrent...doh!

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted November 10, 2001 11:41 PM            
Uh.....I don't know how u guys just use the keyboard....It would feel very weird for me to use keyboard only.It seems a whole lot easier to use the mouse to control the turrent and fire.Right mouse button changes between tank and turrent view...like if I pich up a Avenger or Flamer I would click the right mouse to give me tank camera so I never lose track of my target.If I'm using a turrent weapon then I right clcik so its in turrent camera view and I can track the target with swarmers,concusion.....ect.Then of course left mouse fires and keyboard arrows move the tank.

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 10, 2001 11:53 PM            
Joystick + Keyboard is the only way to play. TM plays more like a flight sim than anything else in terms of how combat occurs, so my keyboard+mouse FPS skills are useless, and the keyboard doesn't give me enough control.

IP:

Neo
posted November 11, 2001 03:15 AM            
LOL, Thank you for the compliment, Karldar. I appreciate it--but I don't really think we're on different levels of play...

Simplicity of control is essential to my style--it's probably the exclusive reason that I can play the game with any degree of success.

One of my favorite things about TM is that the controls can be as simple or as intricate as you like. You can set yourself up with just one button and a direction pad like myself, or you can use a 234 button joystick and bind each button to a different function (hyperbole).

I think the trick is to just find what control setup is the most aptly suited to one's own playing style and preferences, and then stick with it long enough to rock the house.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 11, 2001 08:18 AM            
keyboard / mouse combo - i tend to get some speed up - spin on the tracks and reverse to fire - i find the turret confusing after playing bz, the turrett serves to annoy a little although its still a great feature.

seasoned tm players prob wont like the bz mod cos in true style some ships have fixed point turrets.

that said, tm is harder than bz, and returning to bz (still with keybrd / mouse combo) was dead easy and i regularly found myself owning all the games

IP:

LordDrow
posted November 11, 2001 10:57 PM            
ASDW for my chassis controls, mouse to control turret and camera. Simple and elegant to my hands. Might not work for anyone else though.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

VorDesigns
posted November 11, 2001 11:23 PM            
I use Keyb/Mouse combo, mouse is big ball w/3buttons. Usually works well unless the sabot.ent is messed up or the server has a funky turret speed setting.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
http://www.ssgnet.com

IP:

peeeto
posted November 12, 2001 09:51 AM         
keyboard only...

see, i really haven't ever seriously played comp games before, so the default keybd setup was the easiest for me to use. for the first few months of playing TM, i didn't use the turret either!

i'd actually REALLY like to learn how to use the mouse, but i'm SO used to driving with my right hand & firing w/ the left, it's just no fun to play otherwise

IP:

kv
posted November 12, 2001 10:16 AM            
On my desktop I use a force-feedback joystick for all controls, the hat switch makes a nice camera control when one button is set to the free-look switch.

On my notebook I use only the keyboard. Could never get used to the "mouse controls view" settings. Also don't always have my mouse connected and the touchpad would be difficult to use. Z and C to rotate turret, X fires, S centers turret to front, D? to rear, arrow keys to steer tank.

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted November 19, 2001 11:27 PM            
Question for BamZipPow. Where would one pick up a Smartjoy USB Adapter?

I use a joystick and no turret controls.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 20, 2001 12:11 AM            
AutoCAD user: Keyboard and Mouse

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 20, 2001 12:49 AM            
hmmmm

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 20, 2001 03:08 AM            
Tiggs,

There's many sites that sell a USB adapter for the PS/N64 sticks. My adapter isn't made anymore and the new version is too expensive (around $30 plus shippping). Needed something for my notebook that wasn't too bulky and this made it the perfect choice. Make sure you do your homework on these companies as I have not purchased anything from them. www.jandaman.com/kikijoy.shtml

store.vg-network.com/kikijoy.shtml
www.cheatbox.com/products.cfm
www.gamechoice.com.hk/pc.html
www.merconnet.com/temp/playstation/pcadapter.html

psxcopy.com
www.4videogamers.com/cgi-bin/4videogamers/video_game_detail.html?detail=PL-701
(this one looks like mine)
www.gocybershop.ca/cgi-bin/product.pl?Id=11
www.gocybershop.ca/cgi-bin/product.pl?Id=16
www.easybuy2000.com/store/?cat=pc%20accessories&subcat=psx%20adapter

(the site is where JVortex bought his)

Hope there's enough links for you. You might even find an adapter in your local gaming store in the mall..but be prepared to pay a premium price to "get it now". Good shopping and hope you improve your fragging rights!

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited November 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited November 20, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Tiggs
posted November 20, 2001 08:11 PM            
Thank You!!

IP:

swisher
posted November 20, 2001 10:30 PM            
Keyboard only. Full turret. Default keys.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

ping of death
posted November 21, 2001 03:20 PM         
Same here NEO

IP:

synack
posted November 22, 2001 08:41 AM         
started with keyboard only on my laptop, during the demo days. After finding that the 1.5 full version wouldn't run on my laptop, I installed TM on our desktop PC. My son, ramTHIS, had to convince me to try the joystick, saying it was a more intuitive control mechanism for a tank. Once I got the hang of it, I found that I agreed with him, and I never really looked back.

That being said, I do occasionally use keyboard only, for old time's sake.

Only tried the mouse once or twice, and never felt comfortable with it.

Definitely use full turret. Only tried freelook a couple of times.

[This message has been edited by synack (edited November 22, 2001).]

IP:

uck
posted November 23, 2001 10:24 AM            
well ive thrashed so many joysticks to rember cheap plastic dont last, digitaly interfaced with keyboard (wingman) sucks! the best off the shelf joystick ive used is microsoft sidewinder pro USB. but off the shelf sucks so now costmize my own joystick this is my current creation;
the x,y yoke is out of a towtruck (flatbed controller) and its ALL Aluminum NO Plastick parts! originally digital(4microswitches) converted it to analog, added analog R axis, then fit it all into a wingman extreme joystick that i gutted because althogh thier keyboard interface sucks it gotta be the best ive ever used ergonicmakly or whatever they call that it just fits in your hand like a glove i have 7 buttons total 4 of them are wired to the game port, the other 3 are connected through serial port as left, right, and middle mouse buttons

IP: